Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    i wouldn't even say it's necessarily an issue of being associated with Batman, more so the characters end up becoming too dependant on Batman as the means to justify their existence. characters like Duke, Harper, Batwing, Azrael, etc often are relagated to these positions where they mainly only exist to be next to batman despite having the potential to offer something to worth reading as their own characters. Duke is a perfect example of this, when digging into the character, everything about his character for a majority of his existence is supposed to differentiate him from Batman and the wider Bat-membership but he's largely treated as yet another bat-roadie, from his suit designs to his appearances in books since gaining his hero identity.

on topic, black batman could be cool or could be nothing, but either way wasn't worth the report (if they actually are doing it) this early out.
    I dunno. I don't think there's the intention that these characters have to exist next to Batman beyond the fact that sometimes that's the only way they can get any panel-time.

And it's pretty much a given that someone associated with the Batfamily would wear bat-iconography and appear in Batman-related books.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    A genius attempt at diversity is important. When minorities have been excluded deliberately resulting in the situation we have today then the effort to make things fair should be equally as deliberate.

Of course the colour of the writer does matter. Racism is alive and well behind the scenes. I am not a Black man so I can't speak for my Black co workers but I am aware and have been a beneficiary of certain privileges that my non Caucasian co workers have been denied.

I want priest on batman because he is a good writer, has plenty of experience , writes a great Bat,man, is bold and because HE IS NOT A WHITE MAN. He reached that calibre decades ago.

The current uneven status quo didn't just happen. It happened because certain sections of society were purposefully and wilfully denied or discouraged the chance to achieve/work towards any position they desired.
    Because certain sections of society were purposefully hidden or excluded from creative works like comics. As such I feel inclusion and levelling the field should not be expected to just happen. We should purposefully work towards achieving this.

I hope that makes sense. English isn't my 1st language and I'm not as clear when I get heated
    It is never ok to justify racism because of ghosts of the past and generalizations. You lose credibility when you fail to rise above the very racism you speak of. This post is a good example of why I need to struggle to believe humanity has any sense at all these days. Thank goodness most folks in my day to day life (of all walks of life mind you) don't have a racist axe to grind like I see daily on the internet.
    Last edited by uebersoldat; 09-05-2019 at 06:30 PM.

Bring Michael Lane back

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by geomon View Post
    Bring Michael Lane back
    That could work for me.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    i wouldn't even say it's necessarily an issue of being associated with Batman, more so the characters end up becoming too dependant on Batman as the means to justify their existence. characters like Duke, Harper, Batwing, Azrael, etc often are relagated to these positions where they mainly only exist to be next to batman despite having the potential to offer something to worth reading as their own characters. Duke is a perfect example of this, when digging into the character, everything about his character for a majority of his existence is supposed to differentiate him from Batman and the wider Bat-membership but he's largely treated as yet another bat-roadie, from his suit designs to his appearances in books since gaining his hero identity.

on topic, black batman could be cool or could be nothing, but either way wasn't worth the report (if they actually are doing it) this early out.
    Bab is NOWHERE beneath Damian. He couldn't even kiss her feet.

The major difference between Dick, Babs, Damian, Tim & Harley versus Duke and the rest-SOMEONE OUTSIDE of BAT FAMILY has used them.

And I don't mean that crappy cameo mess we saw with Duke in Metal & Immortal. I mean actual usage.

Why do we need a black Batman when you already have a rich black guy in Michael Holt running around? Or move Luke Fox to a new city and build from there.

Extraordinary Member

so is Dick is talon then he cant be batman, very snaeky

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

It is too soon for another temporary replacement Batman. In the last 30 years, we've had Azrael, Nightwing, and Commissioner Gordon take over as Batman. We also have Flashpoint Batman running around, Batman Beyond in continuity, and we had the two replacement Batmen in the New 52 Earth 2 series. They should wait at least ten years after the Gordon as Batman run ended before allowing another writer to do their take on the concept.

Quote Originally Posted by mikelmcknight72 View Post
    It is too soon for another temporary replacement Batman. In the last 30 years, we've had Azrael, Nightwing, and Commissioner Gordon take over as Batman. We also have Flashpoint Batman running around, Batman Beyond in continuity, and we had the two replacement Batmen in the New 52 Earth 2 series. They should wait at least ten years after the Gordon as Batman run ended before allowing another writer to do their take on the concept.
    Man, when you it that way it only feels like a few years since Superheavy...

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The story ran in the latter half of 2015, so not even 5 years!

It does feel too soon for yet another replacement Batman, but I'll be here for it. Maybe it will be good. It's unlikely to last long. They'll probably have Bruce back in the cowl in time for the new movie.
    I do think that whoever is going to be the new Batman would work better if he got more development as a supporting character first. I was more interested in Dick and Jim as Batman because I was already invested in their characters.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

I don't care who it is or what comes out of it but if it's Ben Turner, I'll be speechless.

Ben would get so much promotion and awareness but I want that to happen when he's Bronze Tiger and not a hand-me-down. However, Ben would finally get some much needed solo content and I can finally read something with him.

Ben would make one badass Batman though...but I kinda don't want it. Just give it to Luke.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It actually has been only a few years, the last issue of the Superheavy arc came out in 2016. What makes it seem like an even shorter time to me at least is that it me it least is, due to the nature of how the main Batman book steers the direction of the character, and how both Synder and King work in big (mostly) uninterrupted runs, it's essentially ending the story the same way twice in a row. Even though there are more issues between these two theoretical similar stories then say something like the Flash or Aquaman because of writer turnover, it sure does not feel like it.

Rich claims this all part of the upcoming “5G” initiative and that the other heroes will also get replaced with Jon replacing Superman for example. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...dc-comics-5gt/

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

What is wrong with DC and why can't they just do natural storytelling. Jon has to be aged up to fill in for Superman and Dick, Donna, Jason, Artemis, Garth, Tim, Wally, Kyle, Guy, John, Baz, and Jessica have to be made unavailable if they're not chosen.

At least Dick has Bludhaven so even if he's cured of Ric they can make that excuse, Jason shoots people, the other Green Lanterns can be punted off to space, but the rest?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Rich claims this all part of the upcoming “5G” initiative and that the other heroes will also get replaced with Jon replacing Superman for example. https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/10...dc-comics-5gt/
    Well, I’m kind of on board with this, because it shakes up the status quo a bit; I’m just not sure why DC is doing this, or if all the heroes will be affected.
    Last edited by protege; 10-08-2019 at 07:21 AM.