Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Bruce Wayne to hand the cowl to a black man?

Bleeding Cool are saying that next year, Batman will have a new guy under the cowl, and he's black.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09...-black-batman/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

So far, the only black man who seems poised to perhaps be able to take the mantle in King's run is the Gentle Man (and even that is quite far-fetched). Nonetheless, here is my position on it.

The Gentle Man certainly has the ability to fight to be a good replacement for Batman on the physical side, but as he demonstrated any ability to seek out clues and motives ? After all, he fights endlessly against a horde of monster more than he seeks the guilty.

He had the mental fortitude, however, that's for sure.

Now, if the change is not related to King's story, I guess it would be possible for others, such as Luke, Duke or even an original character to come and get the cowl for a time. But the article at least seems to hint at a correlation between this "new" Batman and King's run. Which is just as surprising to me as the first time I heard this theory, because I don't see any hint of such a direction in the current story as released. And In the six or five issues left to deal with Bane (not counting the interlude issues with Batman and Catwoman here, but I guess I could be wrong), it seems to be an awfully short span to set up such a change.

Astonishing Member

Bruce Wayne is going through Batman replacements. Dick Grayson and Damian Wayne by Grant Morrison. Scott Snyder also used Dick Grayson and Jim Gordon.

I'm completely indifferent. Gimmicks like this I've grown to be completely numb to now.

I'd rather see DC put a black main writer on Batman more than just a black guy replace Bruce as Batman for a bit.

Doesn't really make much difference for me if Batman is Black or White. I liked the Gentleman he was cool, I'd defo be up for seeing him be Batman for a wee bit

Extraordinary Member

I think it to early for another replacement Batman we had in recent years already Dick and James Gordon as Batman.

The only Black Character I think would make sense is Mr. Terrific, he would be the only one with the experience and the skill set.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Bleeding Cool are saying that next year, Batman will have a new guy under the cowl, and he's black.
    https://www.bleedingcool.com/2019/09...-black-batman/
    I am a black man and this makes me feel nothing

I need more info before I make a full decision, but right now, I'm leaning on this being a bad idea. This already reeks of a desperate and temporary publicity stunt more than "OMG which DC characters are going to turn evil!?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Same, honestly :/

It doesn’t matter what color the guy he’s giving the cowl to is. What matters is it’s dumb. It was dumb when they did it with Dick and Gordon and it’s dumb if they do it this time. Just stop with the damn gimmicks.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Depending on the creative team and the concept, it may be good. But even then it will have huge hurdles to overcome just because, as good as it may be, it's just going to be temporary anyway.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    It doesn’t matter what color the guy he’s giving the cowl to is. What matters is it’s dumb. It was dumb when they did it with Dick and Gordon and it’s dumb if they do it this time. Just stop with the damn gimmicks.
    I'll give you Gordon but I've personally enjoyed characters like Dick and Terry as Batman more than Bruce. Bruce passing the cowl to somebody else isn't inherently dumb...but him giving it to someone outside of the immediate family (because apparently it isn't Duke) just feels....wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    I'll give you Gordon but I've personally enjoyed characters like Dick and Terry as Batman more than Bruce. Bruce passing the cowl to somebody else isn't inherently dumb...but him giving it to someone outside of the immediate family (because apparently it isn't Duke) just feels....wrong.
    It is a different situation with Terry because it’s an AU.

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    Because it isn't a genuine attempt at diversity but a gimmick. I mean Society's response to a Black Batman rather than an attempt at developing a long term visible and prominent Black family member from the company that sabotaged Duke by giving his mini just 3 issues.

Like Badou said a black writer a long run on the title or seriously back and push a black character no these half arsed shallow efforts

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Because it isn't a genuine attempt at diversity but a gimmick. I mean Society's response to a Black Batman rather than an attempt at developing a long term visible and prominent Black family member from the company that sabotaged Duke by giving his mini just 3 issues.

Like Badou said a black writer a long run on the title or seriously back and push a black character no these half arsed shallow efforts
    “Genuine attempts at diversity” still won’t result in anything good. That just puts the color before the character. It also shouldn’t matter what skin color the person writing characters is. Like I want Bryan Edward Hill on Batman not because he’s black but because he’s a really good writer.

Could be a tale from the Dark Multiverse for all we know at this point. But I'm kind of sick of Batman replacements at this point.
    Pulls: Batman, Detective Comics, SiKtC, Catwoman, Nightwing, Titans, Godzilla, Wonder Woman, Batman & Robin, Brave and the Bold, No/One, Kill your Darlings, and Deviant.
    My runs: Batman #230-, and Detective #420-