Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 289101112131415 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Jon Kent being artificially aged up (TWICE!) and pissing off all of his fans to replace his dad... DC is doing it in about the worst way possible.
    This is possibly the semi-confirmed one that annoys me most from it's sheer stupidity. I'm all for allowing the "Old Guard" to step back into semi-retirement and allow the younger generation(s) their time in the spotlight (I'm a massive fan of Beyond and Generations was one of the best books ever written by John Byrne IMO), but it make absolutely zero sense to age-up Jon to become the new Superman when you've already got at least three more experienced, established characters who would work better at this point instead (Kara Zor-El, Kenan Kong and Conner Kent), whereas at least for Batman the reasons why they aren't going to use the 'more obvious' candidates (Dick, Jason, Tim) have already been played out on other occasions and Damian doesn't work for similar reasons to Jon.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcomicnerd View Post
    I'm indifferent because it's just temporary. Just like it was temporary when Jean Paul Valley took over, Dick Grayson took over(twice) and Jim Gordon. Bruce will be back in a year or less. Just away to drum up hype and publicity. Just create a original, interesting black character or expand an existing black character like Mr
    Terrific, Black Lightning, etc.
    That would be nice but people pay way more attention to replacements than new characters
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by 9th. View Post
    That would be nice but people pay way more attention to replacements than new characters
    The major problem with this approach is that it's all short-term... after the little stunt is over, DC rarely if ever takes care of the replacement characters.

Astonishing Member Darkspellmaster's Avatar

So who is going to be spearheading this? I'm all for a well written story, but you need the writer and artist that understand the world of Gotham and a character that is like Bruce. A detective first and formost.

Bryan Edward Hill said no comment when Syfywire asked him about it.

Him or Christopher Priest would be interesting.

Right now im interested in Luke, Bronze Tiger or the Gentleman taking over. The latter two are for more shorter periods.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 10-22-2019 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Bryan Edward Hill said no comment when Syfywire asked him about it.

Him or Christopher Priest would be interesting.

Right now im interested in Luke, Bronze Tiger or the Gentleman taking over. The latter two are for more shorter periods.
    The Gentleman would be the best choice, i completely forgot about him! He's new and his premise makes him a perfect candidate because it'll explain why Bruce would disappear; plus he has the combat experience to believably be Batman. We don't know much about him so they could easily just say he's some kind of former law enforcement or nebulous genius or something to fill the detective angle. They could make fleshing out his backstory and Hordes of Gehenna an ongoing part of his story and then when Bruce returns they can either send him back to his realm or go the Mighty Thor route, have him take up his own mantle (obvious choice would be The Gentle Man) and go forward in the DC landscape more fully formed.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    The Gentleman would be the best choice, i completely forgot about him! He's new and his premise makes him a perfect candidate because it'll explain why Bruce would disappear; plus he has the combat experience to believably be Batman. We don't know much about him so they could easily just say he's some kind of former law enforcement or nebulous genius or something to fill the detective angle. They could make fleshing out his backstory and Hordes of Gehenna an ongoing part of his story and then when Bruce returns they can either send him back to his realm or go the Mighty Thor route, have him take up his own mantle (obvious choice would be The Gentle Man) and go forward in the DC landscape more fully formed.
    I think it might be Bat & Cat "retire" to the Gentleman's world for awhile to take on the neverending horde, walking off into the sunset. And yeah perfect segue to a character with a blank slate and ton of potential

Quote Originally Posted by gregpersons View Post
    I think it might be Bat & Cat "retire" to the Gentleman's world for awhile to take on the neverending horde, walking off into the sunset. And yeah perfect segue to a character with a blank slate and ton of potential
    If baby Helena happens which I think is a possibility. I could maybe see her being aged up in another realm without forcing everyone else to age up with her.

Censorship Sucks

When it happened in Knightquest with Jean Paul Valley, it was pretty cool because it was the first time it had happened and JPV was such a bad choice (I liked the character though) the story drew you in. It was fresh. I liked it also when Dick took over the mantel for a while in Prodigal. It seemed like a next step in the story. After that, it has been lame and tired.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamrock Holmes View Post
    This is possibly the semi-confirmed one that annoys me most from it's sheer stupidity. I'm all for allowing the "Old Guard" to step back into semi-retirement and allow the younger generation(s) their time in the spotlight (I'm a massive fan of Beyond and Generations was one of the best books ever written by John Byrne IMO), but it make absolutely zero sense to age-up Jon to become the new Superman when you've already got at least three more experienced, established characters who would work better at this point instead (Kara Zor-El, Kenan Kong and Conner Kent), whereas at least for Batman the reasons why they aren't going to use the 'more obvious' candidates (Dick, Jason, Tim) have already been played out on other occasions and Damian doesn't work for similar reasons to Jon.
    I completely agree with this. At the end of the day, they could have a "superman beyond" type of comicbook where a normally aged Jon takes over. He teams up with Damianbats or Terrybats or whatever. Why did they do this?

Censorship Sucks

This is very true. Characters are written with no staying power but just as a device to advance the plot. It gets tiring. Also, replacing Batman with a black man just feeds into the problem the "woke" crowd has at comic companies right now. Putting a black person in a already established role does not make them significant. Make them a great character on their own. Also, don't do it just because the character is black. Do it because you really want to tell a great story that appreciates and celebrates the character's true culture. John was always wonderful on Green Lantern. He was a deep and multi-leveled person.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I completely agree with this. At the end of the day, they could have a "superman beyond" type of comicbook where a normally aged Jon takes over. He teams up with Damianbats or Terrybats or whatever. Why did they do this?
    I don't know. And its been pissing me off since.

I know I wanted a future type story (even if its just one arc) of naturally grown up Jon and Damian (maybe pop in someone for the Wonder Woman family) stepping into their fathers' roles and being heroes. Or even forging their own identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caldwell View Post
    This is very true. Characters are written with no staying power but just as a device to advance the plot. It gets tiring. Also, replacing Batman with a black man just feeds into the problem the "woke" crowd has at comic companies right now. Putting a black person in a already established role does not make them significant. Make them a great character on their own. Also, don't do it just because the character is black. Do it because you really want to tell a great story that appreciates and celebrates the character's true culture. John was always wonderful on Green Lantern. He was a deep and multi-leveled person.
    I agree. Just create new heroes of colour, or prop up those that already exist. Make a new Crisis event centered around Mr. Terrific or whatever. Or have Geoff Johns enrich his world like he did with GL and the Flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I don't know. And its been pissing me off since.

I know I wanted a future type story (even if its just one arc) of naturally grown up Jon and Damian (maybe pop in someone for the Wonder Woman family) stepping into their fathers' roles and being heroes. Or even forging their own identities.
    I want that too. What they've done is crazy.
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 11-03-2019 at 01:59 PM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    I agree. Just create new heroes of colour, or prop up those that already exist. Make a new Crisis event centered around Mr. Terrific or whatever. Or have Geoff Johns enrich his world like he did with GL and the Flash.
    Because you would get a another set of folks mad. Who don't want a lead POC doing anything.

You haven't said anything that many have pointed out nonstop.

Trying to build up a POC is a constant battle. A battle that FORCES support from fans and management.

If folks are honest about building up a POC then we shouldn't see all this backlash to every single attempt that does not feature someone replacing another person.

Mighty Member

"Not saying it's fair to dislike a character just for "taking another character's place", but it is entirely normal"

More like weird if anything as (especially as someone else mentioned, the rumor made it clear he [Duke] wasn't going to be Batman).