Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I'm sorry, are you suggesting that this is going to be permanent and that they'll make a movie with a Batman that isn't Bruce Wayne...?
    sorry I wrote that too fast, I meant exactly the opposite

In no way shape of form this will be permanent because of the movie

I also will argue that this probably will not even last through Batman #100

It can be permanent if its really popular and turns into a huge seller
    The minute a black batman sells more than Bruce you can bet Bruce will probably be retired or take on another name
    That's usually the difference when these things happen its always going to be a stunt to increase sales and generate clicks and buzz on the internet
    When it goes beyond that and displays that the fans actually like the change with a prolonged increase in sales or trends like variants with the new batman selling out then you know DC might make it permanent regardless of the new movie.
    There was a time where DC didn't rely on movie synergy like Marvel did

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    The minute a black batman sells more than Bruce you can bet Bruce will probably be retired or take on another name
    again I think that this character will appear because Bruce is retiring not the other way around but most importantly this is usually not how this type of things work

Miles never replaced Spider-man, he replaced Ultimate Spider-man and he didnt even really hit mainstream until "into the Spiderverse"
    for the record, Miles appeared on 2011 so it took him 7 years to move from comic to a much more popular medium
    and yet the movie of spiderman will still have peter parker

My point on all of this is that you cannot just permanently replace a character whose value is already defined
    And Batman as Bruce Wayne is the biggest thing in comics period, it works time and time again, replacement stories are about him more times tha not.

if we look into the past history of the character the biggest adition or change into this was Damian and that happen 13 years ago
    I wouldnt even count Duke as a new adition to the lore because of how shy DC has been playing with it, Im also surpriced that the rumor even says that Duke definitely wont be the one.

so no, It will not be permanent
    because even in the case that this becomes popular it will be popular by its own right, not because its replacing batman
    for other examples look at Wally West
    there is a big reason why Wallace wasnt accepted as him, nothing to do with his race, its just that it wasnt the same Wally.

That's usually the difference when these things happen its always going to be a stunt to increase sales and generate clicks and buzz on the internet
    When it goes beyond that and displays that the fans actually like the change with a prolonged increase in sales or trends like variants with the new batman selling out then you know DC might make it permanent regardless of the new movie.
    I think everyone here kows this dance pretty well, but I doubt that that someone higher up, and by that I mean WB not DC, wont try to push something to the editorial

Best case scenario after a year: Bruce returns, Black Batman becomes so popular that he gets his own book, maybe even also remains Batman and doesnt changes his name to something else
    Worst case: he dies
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 09-03-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    sorry I wrote that too fast, I meant exactly the opposite

In no way shape of form this will be permanent because of the movie

I also will argue that this probably will not even last through Batman #100
    Oh, haha! I was like "Whoa! That's crazy talk!" Yeah, I think this'll end right before #100 and that's when they'll be another big writer, if Bendis doesn't write this thing himself now, that's when he'll come in.

Yeah, I guess, but that can be said for anything. And in an industry where facsimiles sell more than their on-goings it's unlikely, especially since the comicbook industry is held up, majority, by people who aren't looking for drastic change. There's a reason the status quo is the king: it's because it sells. This hasn't changed for nearly 50 years, and it's not going to change now.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

I think that if DC had presented an alternate take on Batman by a character that happened to be black earlier on, and profited off that character to the point of successful popularity, I think many people would be singing quite a different tune by now.

John Stewart as Green Lantern is probably a prime example. He's not a black Alan Scott or a black Hal Jordan. He's just... well, John Stewart, who's usually written very from what I've seen, so he works very well as an interesting character people consistently want to see more of.

It’s no wonder why we don’t see as many people asking about a black Green Lantern, because characters like John Stewart have already been well-established to the point of being iconic.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 09-03-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    Oh, haha! I was like "Whoa! That's crazy talk!" Yeah, I think this'll end right before #100 and that's when they'll be another big writer, if Bendis doesn't write this thing himself now, that's when he'll come in.
    Also I just realize that I miswrote "In no way, shape or form" again on the clarification

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    I think that if DC had presented an alternate take on Batman by a character that happened to be black earlier on, and profited off that character to the point of successful popularity, I think many people would be singing quite a different tune by now.

John Stewart as Green Lantern is probably a prime example. He's not a black Alan Scott or a black Hal Jordan. He's just... well, John Stewart, who's usually written very from what I've seen, so he works very well as an interesting character people consistently want to see more of.

It’s no wonder why we don’t see as many people asking about a black Green Lantern, because characters like John Stewart have already been well-established to the point of being iconic.
    I find it a little funny that you are using John Stewart who is closer to being 50 in this example instead of Simon Baz or Jesica Cruz who were created in the last 10 years

I completely agree though
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 09-03-2019 at 10:42 PM.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arnoldoaad View Post
    Also I just realize that I miswrote "In no way, shape or form" again on the clarification

I found it a little funny that you are using John Stewart who is closer to being 50 in this example instead of Simon Baz or Jesica Cruz who were created in the last 1 years

I completely agree though
    Yeah, and if Terry McGinnis had been introduced as a black character in 1999 when Batman Beyond debuted, people would probably singing a different tune by now as well, because he seems to be one of the most popular characters to have taken on the title of Batman who’s not Bruce Wayne.
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 09-03-2019 at 08:39 PM.

The shitstorm and saltiness will be glorious
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Yeah, and if Terry McGinnis had been introduced as a black character in 1999 when Batman Beyond debuted, people would probably singing a different tune by now as well, because he seems to be one of the most popular characters to have taken on the title of Batman who’s not Bruce Wayne.
    I guess in 10-20 years this new Batman could be consider a proper replacement?

Edit: I put that as a joke, however thinking about it carefully It might actually be true, I still remember people who never considered Damian a proper Robin until a few years back, and when he was introduced the concept of him as robin was out of the question for most
    this type of thing takes time
    decades in some cases
    Last edited by Arnoldoaad; 09-03-2019 at 09:56 PM.

Damian had Morrison, Dick, and a genuinely interesting new spin on the role that helped his transition. With a role readers have seen replacements matter. Others like Duke, Wallace, Tanya, and even Luke haven’t faired nearly as well. Which to be fair is not all on those characters themselves but the work that accompanied them. That being said if they force something long enough eventually it might get over, but here is the thing with Batman. It’s not just DC that relies on him but the comic book industry as whole. Look how they have balked with King’s run.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 09-03-2019 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I'm completely indifferent. Gimmicks like this I've grown to be completely numb to now.

I'd rather see DC put a black main writer on Batman more than just a black guy replace Bruce as Batman for a bit.
    I'm kinda of this mind, I'd be significantly more excited or interested for something like Christopher Priest on Batman than seeing a black guy be Batman for a second. granted, it's cool I guess, in a novel sense, to see a legit Black Batman but it's so clearly gonna be a quick thing that I can't see why this would be report worthy. I won't go so far as to say it's necessarily a gimmick yet tho, I'd have to see the story first, I feel this report (if you can really call it that) kinda undercuts the idea significantly more than it should. I feel my reaction to this idea would've been still ambivalent but generally positive if I just saw it. this kind of vague reporting on such a non-story just kinda spoils it and gives it a weird connotation.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Quote Originally Posted by regg215 View Post
    Gotta love that they brought over bendis and let's face it this is all bendis, and within a year or so he kinda nukes the Superman franchise by ruining what they had going so well there and the goes to his bag of tricks with Batman by pulling a miles morales/riri williams with Batman, guess the only surprising thing is that he didn't do this to Superman first.
    That's like, your opinion, man. I'll forever be happy for Bendis on Supes because he killed the atrocious Supersons series, which did an absolute disservice to Damian, while turning -finally- Jon Kent into an interesting character, instead of the insufferable black hole of a kid he had been ever since he started stealing everything which was Damian's to appear sustainable.

I'm not too thrilled about those Batman's development, but, honestly, King's Bruce Wayne was such an unlovable character and an utter jerk that him giving up the cowl is actually a good thing in my book. That kind of terrible man doesn't deserve to be one of the greatest heroes of the DCU. Better for him to retire for a time and try to change himself. Plus, after all the **** he did, I'm not surprised any of the Robins want to step up. Jason's not interested, obviously, Damian is too young -and probably too shaken by the events of City of Bane, Dick/Ric already got his stint and didn't particularly liked it, Tim got punched for being supportive of Batman the last time we saw them together and he's rocking it in Young Justice, with people who are supportive of him !

So, another character ? Sure, I can see that. But I don't trust DC to do more than a weak stunt and then painting the replacement in a bad light.

I am interested mainly because Bruce Wayne needs a break Batman storywise feels like burden on the character and stories push Batman closer and closer to the edge and darker and darker. Everyone knows it is not a permanent move and if for some reason it became a permanent move it would only happen because the character became popular with the larger majority of fans. We don't know the circumstances behind of the change IF it happens remember this a bleeding cool report made to cover this news from the most sensational angle. I don't think DC would announce this now we have a Black batman, It would be something more like Bruce Wayne is stepping down and former Batwing Luke Fox is taking over the mantle.

For character like Batman or Daredevil an occasional break is necessary because their stories often go into dark territory psychological mess with their head stories. I understand why people prefer and like the original thing but a break for a respected by his peers alternate Batman who isn't going to keep secrets from his friends and family and actually enjoy being hero would be fun for awhile. A Batman who can be the high tech hero he should be if not for status quo would be nice for a little while. We have thousands of Bruce Wayne batman stories and we are going get thousand more after because if natural transition like Dick Grayson and Wally West don't stick nothing will. You are going to get your Batman back and given the nature of how DC use Batman it would not be a surprise if they kept a Bruce Wayne Batman book around. I don't get why people don't get part of keeping a character fresh means put them on shelf for a awhile.

Extraordinary Member

I'm kind of sceptical if it really the best time to do it now.

The last two times they made it, it was done by a relatively popular writer at the end of their respective runs.

Now it would probably be by a complete new writer, after pretty device run that drove lots of readers away (in July we saw the sales from Batman dropping below 80K for the first time since flashpoint).

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I am interested mainly because Bruce Wayne needs a break Batman storywise feels like burden on the character and stories push Batman closer and closer to the edge and darker and darker. Everyone knows it is not a permanent move and if for some reason it became a permanent move it would only happen because the character became popular with the larger majority of fans. We don't know the circumstances behind of the change IF it happens remember this a bleeding cool report made to cover this news from the most sensational angle. I don't think DC would announce this now we have a Black batman, It would be something more like Bruce Wayne is stepping down and former Batwing Luke Fox is taking over the mantle.

For character like Batman or Daredevil an occasional break is necessary because their stories often go into dark territory psychological mess with their head stories. I understand why people prefer and like the original thing but a break for a respected by his peers alternate Batman who isn't going to keep secrets from his friends and family and actually enjoy being hero would be fun for awhile. A Batman who can be the high tech hero he should be if not for status quo would be nice for a little while. We have thousands of Bruce Wayne batman stories and we are going get thousand more after because if natural transition like Dick Grayson and Wally West don't stick nothing will. You are going to get your Batman back and given the nature of how DC use Batman it would not be a surprise if they kept a Bruce Wayne Batman book around. I don't get why people don't get part of keeping a character fresh means put them on shelf for a awhile.
    But they just did this in Morrison and Snyder's runs. What is unique or fresh about the concept? Also the thing is if you read King's Batman run Bruce is supposed die at the end of it. Given in a flashforward Gotham Girl is talking about Bruce being dead. This article makes it seems that Bruce is going to die and a black Batman will replace him or he will pretend to be dead and have him be replaced that way. It won't be a situation where Bruce is open and not secretive, and likely doing this all behind the Batman family's back as a way to write them out of the story. Since they have to figure out ways to write Dick, Jason, Tim and Damian all out of the story to make room for the new Batman. Since otherwise it doesn't make any sense to replace Batman with someone less trained and capable than those long standing Batman family members.