Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

The could of course also go back the the first Black Batman and bring Wayne Williams to the main continuity.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    But they just did this in Morrison and Snyder's runs. What is unique or fresh about the concept? Also the thing is if you read King's Batman run Bruce is supposed die at the end of it. Given in a flashforward Gotham Girl is talking about Bruce being dead. This article makes it seems that Bruce is going to die and a black Batman will replace him or he will pretend to be dead and have him be replaced that way. It won't be a situation where Bruce is open and not secretive, and likely doing this all behind the Batman family's back as a way to write them out of the story. Since they have to figure out ways to write Dick, Jason, Tim and Damian all out of the story to make room for the new Batman. Since otherwise it doesn't make any sense to replace Batman with someone less trained and capable than those long standing Batman family members.
    Agreed, there is nothing new or fresh about this whole idea. As for Bruce dying, didnt Gotham girl say that "Batman" dies? Could very well be Thomas Wayne she is talking about. I could be wrong its been a while.
    Last edited by bat1987; 09-04-2019 at 04:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    I am interested mainly because Bruce Wayne needs a break Batman storywise feels like burden on the character and stories push Batman closer and closer to the edge and darker and darker. Everyone knows it is not a permanent move and if for some reason it became a permanent move it would only happen because the character became popular with the larger majority of fans. We don't know the circumstances behind of the change IF it happens remember this a bleeding cool report made to cover this news from the most sensational angle. I don't think DC would announce this now we have a Black batman, It would be something more like Bruce Wayne is stepping down and former Batwing Luke Fox is taking over the mantle.

For character like Batman or Daredevil an occasional break is necessary because their stories often go into dark territory psychological mess with their head stories. I understand why people prefer and like the original thing but a break for a respected by his peers alternate Batman who isn't going to keep secrets from his friends and family and actually enjoy being hero would be fun for awhile. A Batman who can be the high tech hero he should be if not for status quo would be nice for a little while. We have thousands of Bruce Wayne batman stories and we are going get thousand more after because if natural transition like Dick Grayson and Wally West don't stick nothing will. You are going to get your Batman back and given the nature of how DC use Batman it would not be a surprise if they kept a Bruce Wayne Batman book around. I don't get why people don't get part of keeping a character fresh means put them on shelf for a awhile.
    I don't know anyone who thinks this. In fact, it's usually the complete opposite. This has been done to death. I genuinely believe your line of thinking is the minority.

Quote Originally Posted by bat1987 View Post
    Agreed, there is nothing new or fresh about this whole idea. As for Bruce dying, didn't Gotham girl say that "Batman" dies? Could very well be Thomas Wayne she is talking about. I could be wrong its been a while.
    I'm pretty sure she clarifies it's Bruce.

Didn't Scott Snyder plan on doing something like this with Duke Thomas? He only didn't go through with it because nobody actually liked Duke Thomas.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    We don't know much so I'll reserve judgment until later. The only dread I felt was wondering how they will explain Dick not taking the mantle. My hope is he knows Bruce is alive and doesn't want to do it, but my the shiver down my spine whispered "Ric lives."

I don't want to live in that timeline.
    The new Batman is going to need a butler/chauffeur and Ric has plenty of experience driving a taxi!

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Monk View Post
    Didn't Scott Snyder plan on doing something like this with Duke Thomas? He only didn't go through with it because nobody actually liked Duke Thomas.
    Of course. Nobody likes Duke. I must be dreaming this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    He’s right though.
    Nobody likes him, barring a few people.

Quote Originally Posted by Eto View Post
    He’s right though.
    Nobody likes him, barring a few people.
    I think Duke haters are just a very vocal minority.

A fair few like him but the majority are probably neutral and don't really care.

A fair few like him but the majority are probably neutral and don't really care.
    That's what I fit in. Would rather see more Izzy than more Duke, but have no objection to Duke in the present tense (though I didn't like the We Are Robin set-up or Duke being part of Bruce's past). In some scenes I quite like him, but he's not standout to me. Would probably like him more when not associating with Bruce (though Damian is fine). Read his mini.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Yeah, because an appreciation thread with a handful of people posting is totally proof that people love Duke Thomas.

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post

Hardly a minority. People might have been indifferent to him at first but Snyder constantly trying to push the guy made more and more people resent his character. It's cooled off since because he's not being pushed as much anymore and is just...there.
    "If you're afraid - don't do it - and if you're doing it - don't be afraid!" - Genghis Khan

but Snyder constantly trying to push the guy made more and more people resent his character.
    People seem to resent "pushing" a character if they don't like the character, but resent not "promoting" the character if they do like them.

Incredible Member

Someone suggested mr. terrific as a apt replacement....He had a good relationship with Dick during Dick's league run, and would probably welcome grayson's support and advice. Thats one of the few possible scenarios I can envision that would interest me.

I remember Dick hanging out a bit with the JSA when he was a museum employee... i thought that would have led to his joining the JSA, a clever workaround from the Batman/JLA problem
    Last edited by bearman; 09-04-2019 at 11:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    People seem to resent "pushing" a character if they don't like the character, but resent not "promoting" the character if they do like them.
    Untrue. If a character is interesting, then minimal push will be enough to launch them to popularity. If they are bland and boring, then continuously forcing them on an audience that made it clear they don't care will breed contempt for the character.

Cassandra Cain, despite my indifference to her, was interesting enough to become popular. Duke Thomas, despite Snyder's best efforts, is and remains pointless and not worth anyone's time.

I think you're misconstruing not caring for him with hating. This may be rough to hear for some folks, but the majority of the Bat "family" are nobodies that could fall into permanent limbo and nothing of majority would be lost. Bruce, Dick, Babs are the important ones.

Hell, I think the books would actually increase in quality with Gotham and Batman lore being less congested.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 09-04-2019 at 11:52 AM.

Extraordinary Member

its not hate

Its more like between the 17 tim 14 cass and 13 damian Bruce is better off jsut starting a children home