Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Jesus Christ, redeemer! The Whovian's Avatar

Default Can someone please help me out with this computer problem?

I bought a new laptop and I'm transferring the files from my old laptop to my new one. I have 2 TB of space on my new hard drive, but it won't let me put more than 200 GB on it. It keeps saying "There is not enough space on OS. You need an additional 9.37 GB to copy these files". It says the total size of the OS has 222 GB and I only have 8 GB free.

I don't understand why it won't simply let me add my files to the new laptop when I have plenty of space. What do I need to do to fix this? Thanks
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“You had a dream; I have a plan”--Cyclops

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by The Whovian View Post
    I bought a new laptop and I'm transferring the files from my old laptop to my new one. I have 2 TB of space on my new hard drive, but it won't let me put more than 200 GB on it. It keeps saying "There is not enough space on OS. You need an additional 9.37 GB to copy these files". It says the total size of the OS has 222 GB and I only have 8 GB free.

I don't understand why it won't simply let me add my files to the new laptop when I have plenty of space. What do I need to do to fix this? Thanks
    Go into Task Manager and check all of your memory, as well as look at what programs are currently using that memory. If there are any installed programs that are excessively eating away at either your RAM or your Hard Disk you may want to consider uninstalling it.

When transferring files, look carefully at the files. Check things like what type of files they are, how long the file names are, are these stand alone files like a Word Document, or are any of them programs.

You may also be able to do a diagnostic on your system, depending on what software came with it.

oh, and don't forget to check security and malware software.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Tami has some hints, but from your description it sounds like your drive came pre-partitioned.

Do the "Computer" screen in Windows show more than one drive (C:, D:, et c)? Show info for each of these, and check their sizes.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Go into Task Manager and check all of your memory, as well as look at what programs are currently using that memory. If there are any installed programs that are excessively eating away at either your RAM or your Hard Disk you may want to consider uninstalling it.

When transferring files, look carefully at the files. Check things like what type of files they are, how long the file names are, are these stand alone files like a Word Document, or are any of them programs.

You may also be able to do a diagnostic on your system, depending on what software came with it.

oh, and don't forget to check security and malware software.
    Thanks Tami. The only thing in Task Manager is Google Chrome. I checked everything else and I don't really see anything.
    “Now faith, hope, and love remain, and the greatest of these is love.”--1 Corinthians 13:13

“There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes.”--The Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Tami has some hints, but from your description it sounds like your drive came pre-partitioned.

Do the "Computer" screen in Windows show more than one drive (C:, D:, et c)? Show info for each of these, and check their sizes.
    It says OS "C" 222 GB, Data "D" 1.8 TB

Should I try to transfer the files to the data section? And if so, how do I do that?

It says OS "C" 222 GB, Data "D" 1.8 TB

Should I try to transfer the files to the data section? And if so, how do I do that?
    Be careful before doing that. To me it looks like the C and D drives are reversed. The D drive shouldn't have that much memory. I'd suggest taking the computer to where you bought it, or to someplace that fixes computers and see if they can merge or switch the two drives. Or shift the memory from one to the other. Adding files to the D drive is doable, but it might make them harder to access. If you got any manuals with the computer, look inside to see if it mentions the partition.

Ok. Then your computer came pre-partitioned, but without any usable setup.

What you want to do is to move the user directories to the data drive, and possibly also the Programs & Files directory. This can be fiddly, so if you can get a friendly tech person to help you do it, I'd advise that. If you bought the computer in a local store, I'd start there.

ETA: I disagree on the two partitions being reversed. The data directory is for user data (photos, music, videos) and games. Those things gobble up lots of space. In comparison, the OS and the regular software doesn't need that much once it's installed. The trouble is rather that Windows needs to be fiddled with in order to work well over multiple partitions.
    Last edited by kjn; 02-05-2020 at 02:01 PM.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Sounds like. C is for Windows and D is for all your files. Shouldn't be a problem to transfer files to D. BUT since it is new, you should be able to get tech support from the manufacturer. A call to them might be in order to check.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Ok. Then your computer came pre-partitioned, but without any usable setup.

What you want to do is to move the user directories to the data drive, and possibly also the Programs & Files directory. This can be fiddly, so if you can get a friendly tech person to help you do it, I'd advise that. If you bought the computer in a local store, I'd start there.

ETA: I disagree on the two partitions being reversed. The data directory is for user data (photos, music, videos) and games. Those things gobble up lots of space. In comparison, the OS and the regular software doesn't need that much once it's installed. The trouble is rather that Windows needs to be fiddled with in order to work well over multiple partitions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Sounds like. C is for Windows and D is for all your files. Shouldn't be a problem to transfer files to D. BUT since it is new, you should be able to get tech support from the manufacturer. A call to them might be in order to check.
    Yeah, about that. I bought my laptop last summer from Dell and only had support for a month. I just kept using my old laptop until it got too slow.

What should I do?

Dell has a user forum that might help. Also Google your prolelm. Try "Dell Laptop hard drive C, D" See if something comes up. Keep trying new searchers. I have found that when I have a computer problem, somebody else has had it and there is something on the web about it.

I would say move the files you transfer to D and see how it works. You still have them on the old laptop so losing them isn't a problem. If there aren't any problems you can go forward and transfer the rest to D.

The more drastic move is to re-install Windows and set it up the way you want. But that is an arduous task.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Yeah, about that. I bought my laptop last summer from Dell and only had support for a month. I just kept using my old laptop until it got too slow.

What should I do?
    Find a computer store that does repair work on computers and take it there. Where I live, I'd take my computer to either Staples or Best Buy. Not sure what you have by you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Dell has a user forum that might help. Also Google your prolelm. Try "Dell Laptop hard drive C, D" See if something comes up. Keep trying new searchers. I have found that when I have a computer problem, somebody else has had it and there is something on the web about it.

I would say move the files you transfer to D and see how it works. You still have them on the old laptop so losing them isn't a problem. If there aren't any problems you can go forward and transfer the rest to D.

The more drastic move is to re-install Windows and set it up the way you want. But that is an arduous task.
    Reminds me of the time when my Husband accidentally deleted half of my OS from my computer (Many, many years ago). I had to spend all night on the phone with tech support to reinstall the OS.

Reminds me of the time when my Husband accidentally deleted half of my OS from my computer (Many, many years ago). I had to spend all night on the phone with tech support to reinstall the OS.
    I have done it a couple of times, it usually takes a couple of days to get everything back in order.

Find a computer store that does repair work on computers and take it there. Where I live, I'd take my computer to either Staples or Best Buy. Not sure what you have by you.
    Either this, or check if there is a local computer club (they might be willing to do the work for cookies).

It's possible to do it yourself, but I'd be very careful myself, and wouldn't recommend it without a good deal of preparation, care, and confidence, preferably a fresh backup, and a second reference computer at hand for Internet searches and lookups.