Page 150 of 155 FirstFirst ... 50100140146147148149150151152153154 ... LastLast
Results 2,236 to 2,250 of 2317

Glad to see my squad back in the big dance. Win or lose, this has been a remarkable season. The 49ers were always in every game, if they weren't dominating their opponent in the first place. I wish the Titans were playing instead of the Chiefs, but whatever. I'm just happy to have a chance to see the 49ers get their 6th ring.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

It still feels unreal to believe after nearly 30 years of cheering the Chiefs on , that they finally made it to a Super Bowl. That they finally achieved something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime.

For years I'd sit and watch playoff collapse after playoff collapse. There was a few bright spots along the way like when Montana willed Kansas City to defeat the Oilers in 1993 where he beat Warren Moon that year. But for the most part , Kansas City's playoff history was this...

1991 : Lost Divisional Playoffs
    1992 : Lost Wildcard Playoffs.
    1993 : Lost AFC Championship
    1994 : Lost Wildcard Playoffs
    1995 : Lost Divisional Playoffs
    1997 : Lost Divisional Playoffs
    2003 : Lost Divisional Playoffs
    2006 : Lost Wildcard playoffs
    2010 : Lost Wildcard Playoffs
    2013 : Lost Wildcard Playoffs
    2015 : Lost Divisional Playoffs
    2016 : Lost Divisional Playoffs
    2017 : Lost Wildcard Playoffs
    2018 : Lost AFC Championship

So imagine watching this play out nearly my entire adult life repeatedly. KC makes the playoffs , some believe they are odds on favorites to win and their hearts are dashed quick. The one loss that hurt the most was the 1995 Playoffs where KC had Lin Elliott miss 2-3 FG's. That loss hurt so bad , because it really summed up being a Chiefs fan really.

For years I'd sit jealous of teams who drafted these franchise saving QB's. Like somehow Green Bay would get 2 of them in a row like Farve and Rogers. Or New England with Tom Brady. I would sit and go , if only Kansas City had that star QB. That one young QB who could come in and turn everything around. Sure they had ok starting QB's in the span with Trent Green and Alex Smith. Both guys played well in KC. But they weren't the young franchise QB's you could put the team on and ask to win on a big final drive if possible.

I had actually gave up on KC ever getting that QB. They had went years without drafting a 1st rd QB. Because KC did one thing that would haunt them for nearly 30 years in 1983.

They passed on 2 future Hall of Fame QB's ...

[IMG]https://d.newsweek.com/en/full/826955/jim-kelly-*******1992.jpg[/IMG]
    Jim Kelly

Dan Marino

It was one of those decisions that KC would select a bust in Todd Blackledge and for the next 33 years not attempt drafting a 1st rd QB. They had came close of course to drafting several. One year they were intrigued at drafting Brady Quinn and then offensive coordinator Charlie Weis was all for it. Cleveland jumped up ahead and drafted Quinn a selection before them. Another year the Chiefs were gonna likely draft Matt Ryan had he fell past Atlanta. That didn't happen. One year Andy Reid had tried out Paxton Lynch and was considering using KC's late 1st/early 2nd to draft him , Denver traded back to get him.

Each time KC seemed to be in a situation that they never could get that QB savior. One year fans begged for KC to keep losing in 2011 season to get to Andrew Luck.

So by 2017 KC seemed to be in a cycle. When they needed a QB they would do trades to get one. Each QB that won steady in Kansas City from 1993 to 2017 was key traded ones.

Joe Montana
    Steve Bono
    Trent Green
    Alex Smith

All 4 came in trades for the QB's. 3 of them comically came from the 49ers. So that seemed to be KC's real method. They could never get that guy draft wise.

Then in 2017 a friend told me he heard rumors KC was gonna trade up. I at 1st dismissed it because the Chiefs rarely trade up. In fact the last near 30 years they had only did 2 trade ups . 1 was for Hall of Fame TE Tony Gonzalez and the the other was for a bust at DT. So when I gave it thought I thought KC was trading up for defense or offense (WR or RB).

On draft day I watched as KC did trade up. Never has a draft pick changed the fortunes of a team or city than this one. Everyone was thinking Watson since he had gotten a ton of hype that draft.

I would never imagine one draft pick could change the fortunes of a team than Pat Mahomes. Given what he has done the last 2 playoff games and basically putting the Chiefs on his back essentially to get here...he should win a 2nd MVP award.
    Last edited by SUPERECWFAN1; 01-20-2020 at 02:14 AM.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Gratz Super!
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Fantastic Member

Congrats on the Chiefs finally making it to the Super Bowl SUPERECWFAN1, definitely know how frustrating it can be to see your team in the playoffs over and over, but always knocked out before the big game. I live outside of Houston and since I've been alive, Houston NFL teams (Oilers and Texans) have been to the playoffs 16 times without a Conference win, and I seriously doubt Houston will make it to the Super Bowl during my lifetime. That being said, I was never a big Oilers fan.

I dont like the Chiefs chances. I mean how good are the 49er's that they can put up 37 points without the Qb throwing a td and only completing 6 freaking passes.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

As a Raiders fan this is who i'm rooting for

Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

The key to this Super Bowl will be Mahomes versus the 49ers defense. Which one will win?

Niners have a pretty good pass defense and the Chiefs have a pretty good run defense. Don't look for the 49ers to go off again with the running game. But Mahomes will have to be basically magic again, against that 49ers rush and coverage, whereas Jimmy G is just going to have to not turn the ball over when he gets forced into passing situations.
    Last edited by Scott Taylor; 01-20-2020 at 12:05 PM.

I have already said I don't care if KC wins. I always had this thought , just make it once in my lifetime to a Super Bowl. I'm happy they made it. Sure be great if Mahomes has some more magic left for the season. But I'm not gonna be down if they lose against a great 49ers team. Just to make it here , to what I always dreamed of is more than enough for me.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    The key to this Super Bowl will be Mahomes versus the 49ers defense. Which one will win?

Niners have a pretty good pass defense and the Chiefs have a pretty good run defense. Don't look for the 49ers to go off again with the running game. But Mahomes will have to be basically magic again, against that 49ers rush and coverage, whereas Jimmy G is just going to have to not turn the ball over when he gets forced into passing situations.
    I suspect Jimmy Grabass won’t be asked to do as much as Mahomes will. But, I could be wrong.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post

The narrative of Jimmy not being able to sling the rock with the best the league has to offer still persists. Did people not watch the game in New Orleans? Aye. I feel a lot better about my team's chance with Jimmy G against the Chiefs defense compared to Mahomes against the 49ers defense.

This reminds me of the chatter before Super Bowl 19 in 1985 when the media buzz wouldn't stop riding Marino because of his historical passing season. One writer even said Montana was a wimp in comparison to Marino. Then the game happened, and the 49ers defense brought the Armageddon against Dan.

"How are you gonna stop Mahomes" is going to be in the face of the 49ers defense for two weeks straight. Not a good idea to kick a hornet's nest.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 01-21-2020 at 12:09 AM.

The entire Chiefs' strategy has to be to stop the 49ers running attack and make Jimmy G beat them through the air.

Arizona played the 49ers close twice this year, limited the damage done by the Niners' RBs... the problem was they still had to stop George Kittle, and the LB they had trying to do so was Hassan Reddick, who is a goddamned disaster at doing anything other than blitz the QB. So they ended up losing a close one as San Francisco would just convert 8 yard passes for first downs.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post
    The narrative of Jimmy not being able to sling the rock with the best the league has to offer still persists. Did people not watch the game in New Orleans? Aye.
    New Orleans huh, well the next 5 games combined he threw 3 TD's and 3 Int's and averaged about 188 yds per game, aye. Actually an awesome stat line, if you're Ryan Tannehill. Look, your team is a monster, Grabass is just simply the least scary part of that monster.

I feel a lot better about my team's chance with Jimmy G against the Chiefs defense compared to Mahomes against the 49ers defense.
    Garapalloo's arm, Mahomes arm, Chefs D, 9er's D. 1 of these things isn't like the others. 9er front is strong but they haven't faced a QB like Mahomes since, oh since that Lamar guy that beat them.

San Francisco is a force but they are not some breakaway slam dunk. Opening line btw is Chefs at -1.5
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

The key to the game is ...what Chiefs defense is gonna show up ? Is it the defense that has responded in 2nd half of games and some regular season games during the year ? Or the squad who basically allowed the Texans and Titans to score quick as we saw ?

Mahomes can't do it all constantly. He maybe some all world star but eventually he needs that defense to step it up and help him early.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Or the squad who basically allowed the Texans and Titans to score quick as we saw ?
    Wait, wasn't at least that first Texans score due to special teams fumble and maybe the second giving Houston a 1st and goal? I have to give the Chefs credit straight up. Sure Vrable had a hell of a 1st quarter but eventually they slowed Henry and then it was Tanne-time.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post
    The narrative of Jimmy not being able to sling the rock with the best the league has to offer still persists. Did people not watch the game in New Orleans? Aye. I feel a lot better about my team's chance with Jimmy G against the Chiefs defense compared to Mahomes against the 49ers defense.

This reminds me of the chatter before Super Bowl 19 in 1985 when the media buzz wouldn't stop riding Marino because of his historical passing season. One writer even said Montana was a wimp in comparison to Marino. Then the game happened, and the 49ers defense brought the Armageddon against Dan.

"How are you gonna stop Mahomes" is going to be in the face of the 49ers defense for two weeks straight. Not a good idea to kick a hornet's nest.
    So ... Mahomes will have to be magical again, specifically because of the 49ers great D? And the 49ers will likely have to pass more than they did in the NFC championship game?

I think you are misinterpreting my thoughts. JimmyG is an elite QB, or else he would not have gotten the team this far.

Montana was a wimp compared to Marino in that year, if you look at stat comparisons. But as we both know, as well as Marino, stats don't win Super Bowls.