Page 93 of 155 FirstFirst ... 4383899091929394959697103143 ... LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,395 of 2317
    Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

This has to be a 1st ...Pat Mahomes didn't throw for 260-300 yards in the game. It was weird to see that as Mahomes looked human as he was held to 180+ yards passing.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Definitely looking to be the end of the Rivers era in LA. Well, mostly SD but you get what I mean.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Definitely looking to be the end of the Rivers era in LA. Well, mostly SD but you get what I mean.
    If the end is near for Rivers (if in L.A. anyway), is he Hall of Fame eligible?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Depends on what you mean by eligible. Eligible to visit without paying, hell yea. Him and his large ass family. Eligible as in to get a jacket, **** no. He ain't even first ballot in the Hall of Very Good.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

I'm assuming you meant Hall of Fame worthy. No, not even close. Barring a late superbowl in his career he'll always be the ringless one of the two QB's he'll always be compared to: Rapistberger and Eli Manning. I don't believe any of them will make the HoF. They belong in the Hall of Very Good but not Hall of Fame.

They won't make it for the same reasons receivers like Isaac Bruce, Torry Holt, Wes Welker, and other great receivers of the 2000's probably won't get in. Passing stats are so inflated that you have to truly stand out from others at your position.

If you look at their era none of them (the QB's) would be considered a top 5 QB of their era. Many seasons they wouldn't even be a top 10 QB in the league. They are just good QB's who largely avoided the injury bug which allowed them to stay around a long time and rack up stats. If you name the top QB's of their era you've got Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers who will all be 1st ballot Hall of Famers and and clearly much better than them. They also overlap to some degree with Kurt Warner and Brett Favre early in their careers and are now way overshadowed by much better younger QB's like Mahomes, Jackson, Wilson, etc.

Yes they are currently 6,7, and 8 in all time pass yards and passing TD's. Meanwhile Matt Ryan sits at #10 and #11 in those categories all time and is several seasons behind. He's not a Hall of Famer either unless he plays well into his 40's (to give him a shot at #1) or suddenly starts winning all pro honors and superbowls.

The 2000-2020 era already has 2 QB's (three if you count Favre) in the Hall of Fame. Four more are guaranteed to get in and almost certainly 1st ballot. Unless they are going to start calling it the QB Hall of Fame in order to ignore the other 21 positions on the field I can't imagine more than that from this era. Thats of course not counting some of the younger QB's who will play well into the 2020's and even 2030's and could have a shot like Russell Wilson, Patrick Mahomes, etc assuming their career arcs continue they way they are going.

One more thing, as to the trifecta of Rapistberger, Manning, and Rivers each has one issue which also will keep them out IMO:

Rapistberger - just look at what I call him. The spectre of his rape will always stand over him and in the #MeToo era it will keep some voters away. Without that he'd have the best chance of the three but with his HoF case being marginal at best this would stop it.

Manning - he's got two rings and a superbowl MVP and while everyone who hates the Patriots will always love him for that we also know those games were kind of fluky and he was closer to a game manager than a great QB.

Rivers - no rings, no superbowl appearances.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    This has to be a 1st ...Pat Mahomes didn't throw for 260-300 yards in the game. It was weird to see that as Mahomes looked human as he was held to 180+ yards passing.
    Still battling injury. You don't just get over the ankle and knee stuff he had, unless you are actually superhuman like Wolverine. He's able to play because he's young and can bull his way through.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

I don't want to make a case for Big Ben. I don't...

But guy's got two rings. And off the field stuff doesn't keep you out, or Ray Lewis wouldn't have been first ballot. He also has some gaudy career numbers. I HATE Big Ben, but my gut says he gets in.

Eli's got two rings, so-so stats. He might not make it... but I think the Manning name will get him there, along with his dad and brother.

Rivers never even GOT to a Super Bowl, let alone won one. Squeaking into the top ten all time in passing is nice from a statistical standpoint... but I don't think he makes it.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    Rapistberger - just look at what I call him. The spectre of his rape will always stand over him and in the #MeToo era it will keep some voters away. Without that he'd have the best chance of the three but with his HoF case being marginal at best this would stop it.
    I'm no Steeler fan (born, raised, still living in Philly), but Roethlisberger will get in. I believe I read somewhere that, unlike baseball, voters to football's HOF aren't allowed to lump in off-field incidents/personal conduct issues when considering inductees, rather to concentrate solely on stats, and two rings makes him Canton eligible. However, it might take a few years, especially if voters aren't able to set aside what he had done and hold that against him.

Manning - he's got two rings and a superbowl MVP and while everyone who hates the Patriots will always love him for that we also know those games were kind of fluky and he was closer to a game manager than a great QB.
    Considering Eli beat Brady twice, that's bound to hold sway with voters, how much is anybody's guess, but I think he gets in too, though not right away.

Rivers - no rings, no superbowl appearances.
    Yeah, I suspect he's screwed.

I feel that Big Ben is on the bubble, much like Eli Manning. And of the two, Eli should have a slight edge because 1) it was the Brady Patriots each time and 2) Eli got MVP each time.

Keep in mind that there are a lot of Super Bowl winning QBs that will never sniff a shot at the HoF. Just being in a Super Bowl isn't enough.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

The Hall is about history.

Eli's 2 SB wins over the GOAT Tom Brady and the legendary Bill Belichick will get him in.

50 years from now, people will still be talking about those 2 games, not Philip Rivers' top 10 passing yards.

I hate Big Ben but he's going in unless he goes to jail. Even then ... he'll probably be put in still.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 11-20-2019 at 09:19 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I hate Big Ben but he's going in unless he goes to jail. Even then ... he'll probably be put in still.
    As WBE already stated, Ray Lewis is the gold standard for scumbags getting into Canton.

I'm no Steeler fan (born, raised, still living in Philly), but Roethlisberger will get in. I believe I read somewhere that, unlike baseball, voters to football's HOF aren't allowed to lump in off-field incidents/personal conduct issues when considering inductees, rather to concentrate solely on stats, and two rings makes him Canton eligible. However, it might take a few years, especially if voters aren't able to set aside what he had done and hold that against him.

Considering Eli beat Brady twice, that's bound to hold sway with voters, how much is anybody's guess, but I think he gets in too, though not right away.

Yeah, I suspect he's screwed.
    The voters kept Terrell Owens out for several seasons due to his personality even though he was one of the two best receivers of the last 25 years.

I'm not saying that they they will jointly all decide that the rape will keep him out but if your already a marginal case as he is due to the fact that there have usually been at least 5 better than him any given year then it could be a factor in them individually not voting for them just like many didn't vote for Owens because of his personality.

Also a factor could be that while he does have two rings one of them is somewhat tainted since everyone who isn't a Steelers fan realizes that the superbowl vs the Seahawks was handed to them by the refs. ESPN a few years back did a top 10 on the worst calls in sports history and while every other one of the top 10 was individual plays they just listed that superbowl as a whole.

The biggest thing with Rapistberger, Manning, and Rivers has been their longevity and ability to avoid injury more than their ability. There have been some just as good or even better QB's during their era who just couldn't stay healthy - Andrew Luck being a prime recent example.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Still battling injury. You don't just get over the ankle and knee stuff he had, unless you are actually superhuman like Wolverine. He's able to play because he's young and can bull his way through.
    Mahomes did run for nearly 60 yards and led the team in rushing. So he did that part.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I don't want to make a case for Big Ben. I don't...

But guy's got two rings. And off the field stuff doesn't keep you out, or Ray Lewis wouldn't have been first ballot. He also has some gaudy career numbers. I HATE Big Ben, but my gut says he gets in.

Eli's got two rings, so-so stats. He might not make it... but I think the Manning name will get him there, along with his dad and brother.

Rivers never even GOT to a Super Bowl, let alone won one. Squeaking into the top ten all time in passing is nice from a statistical standpoint... but I don't think he makes it.

Rothlisberger will go in . His off field behavior won't be a big factor for him as time passes. As posted if Ray Lewis can go in for 2 Super Bowl rings in his time then Big Ben will get the nod.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

The voters kept Terrell Owens out for several seasons due to his personality even though he was one of the two best receivers of the last 25 years.

I'm not saying that they they will jointly all decide that the rape will keep him out but if your already a marginal case as he is due to the fact that there have usually been at least 5 better than him any given year then it could be a factor in them individually not voting for them just like many didn't vote for Owens because of his personality.

Also a factor could be that while he does have two rings one of them is somewhat tainted since everyone who isn't a Steelers fan realizes that the superbowl vs the Seahawks was handed to them by the refs. ESPN a few years back did a top 10 on the worst calls in sports history and while every other one of the top 10 was individual plays they just listed that superbowl as a whole.

The biggest thing with Rapistberger, Manning, and Rivers has been their longevity and ability to avoid injury more than their ability. There have been some just as good or even better QB's during their era who just couldn't stay healthy - Andrew Luck being a prime recent example.
    Terrell Owens clears a hurdle that Ray Lewis and Ben Roethlisberger don't - his behavior affects the game itself. Owens has gaudy personal stats, and a slew of teams that became less as a whole once they made the mistake of hiring him. That is the big taint on his legacy, that his personal talent was overshadowed by his ability to ruin the chemistry of any locker room he entered. By contrast, most other prominent players who are rotten people outside the game still act professional (mostly) in it.
    Dark does not mean deep.