Page 80 of 155 FirstFirst ... 307076777879808182838490130 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 2317
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    Wasnt there an NFL Europe several years ago that folded? I think having a full time team in London is a bad idea But Roger really seems to want it. But I think it will bomb. Selling out a novelty game or two each season is not the same as building a long term fan base.
    Doesn't take much to figure out why Goodell and his overlords, the owners want a team in London, hint: it starts with 'm' and rhymes with honey. Never mind the horrible logistics of travel, what about jurisprudence? What happens if NFL players (as they're sometimes wont to do) get into trouble over there, I mean serious trouble and wind up before a judge and face penalties under British law? How would a mess like that be handled? The whole idea of relocating a team is a clusterfuck that just plain doesn't need to happen. PERIOD!
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 11-05-2019 at 10:42 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Either the Chargers or the Jaguars should move to London. The other one should move to Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I thought the Chargers already done f***ed up and were in an agreement to share a stadium with the Rams, but where the Rams are leasing it to them... and the Spanos signed a 20 year lease.

Trying to decide that whether that's true or not, if London would be a worse arrangement.
    Thats my understanding. The stadium went way over budget, too, so it needs both tenants to make things viable moving forward and pay back loans. The Chargers are definitely odd man out here in LA, but I can't see them leaving anytime soon.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Our Weekly Gruden Face
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Not quite as good as his original Chucky face, but its good.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    Our Weekly Gruden Face
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Witchfan View Post
    Either the Chargers or the Jaguars should move to London. The other one should move to Mexico.
    Subversion: Chargers move to London.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Big G View Post
    That would be a disaster I'm afraid.

Please don't be fooled by the full house NFL games that you see at Wembley Stadium a couple of times a year. They are big successes predominantly due to their rarity and the novelty factor associated with them, not through there existing a huge, untapped NFL audience just waiting to be exploited. If the Chargers think that they will be able to compete with London's soccer clubs week in, week out then they will be in for a rude awakening. Association football is way too ingrained into the British psyche to be challenged by any other code.
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

I'd rather see a team in Canada or Mexico if we're going out of country.

But they should keep the Chargers in the US.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Spanos fired back and claims the report that the Chargers are looking at moving to London as total fucking bullshit.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-london-report

But yeah Spanos got fucked major by the move to LA and now has to eat it for 20 years as fan support barely shows up. All in a bid to give the finger to his actual loyal fanbase in San Diego who supported the team. The Chargers tried LA back in 1960's and it failed big time. Now he's stuck with a 20 year lease than he stupidly agreed on and has to eat that deal.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    That would be a disaster I'm afraid.

Please don't be fooled by the full house NFL games that you see at Wembley Stadium a couple of times a year. They are big successes predominantly due to their rarity and the novelty factor associated with them, not through there existing a huge, untapped NFL audience just waiting to be exploited. If the Chargers think that they will be able to compete with London's soccer clubs week in, week out then they will be in for a rude awakening. Association football is way too ingrained into the British psyche to be challenged by any other code.
    What if they had a mashup with American football and football to drum up publicity? Arsenal versus the Chargers in a football game and then Chelsea playing the Chargers in an NFL game? You could make special rules for both games to make things more even.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    What if they had a mashup with American football and football to drum up publicity? Arsenal versus the Chargers in a football game and then Chelsea playing the Chargers in an NFL game? You could make special rules for both games to make things more even.
    You've given me a fantastic mental image there of soccer players trying to play an American Football game . You see, soccer players aren't known for their physical fortitude. The way they behave on the pitch sometimes may well convince a novice that a decent sized breeze could blow one of them over. Imagine the likes of the Chelsea team trying a more physically threatening code of football. Those poor, fragile little millionaires.

In all seriousness, some kind of commercial partnership between the two codes would certainly be beneficial for both sides. I bet such arrangements already exist. Soccer is THE dominant sport here in the UK though and will always remain so. Like has been stated above, it looks like this move is being rather emphatically denied using the choiciest of choice language!
    Lower The Pissing Winch!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WillieMorgan View Post
    You've given me a fantastic mental image there of soccer players trying to play an American Football game . You see, soccer players aren't known for their physical fortitude. The way they behave on the pitch sometimes may well convince a novice that a decent sized breeze could blow one of them over. Imagine the likes of the Chelsea team trying a more physically threatening code of football. Those poor, fragile little millionaires.

In all seriousness, some kind of commercial partnership between the two codes would certainly be beneficial for both sides. I bet such arrangements already exist. Soccer is THE dominant sport here in the UK though and will always remain so. Like has been stated above, it looks like this move is being rather emphatically denied using the choiciest of choice language!
    There's this amazing sport called rugby.

If mainstream American audiences ever saw it, the NFL would be doomed.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    There's this amazing sport called rugby.

If mainstream American audiences ever saw it, the NFL would be doomed.
    Three words - Australian Rules Football. Growing up it was the only sport other than NFL football and baseball I really liked watching.

Cam Newton goes on IR, and is done for the season.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato