Page 155 of 155 FirstFirst ... 55105145151152153154155
Results 2,311 to 2,317 of 2317

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    What amazed me about the Super Bowl was how matter of fact both Mahomes and Reid seemed right after the game ended. For all you could tell, Reid was about to talk about how it was a good win but they had to now focus on next week. Just amazing discipline and control that man has, and respect of the team obviously.

Compare that to the 49ers who, upon getting one lousy interception, the whole team ran to the opposite end zone and created a team photo op. Focus. Lost.
    Every team does that after an interception or fumble now and days. You're telling me that a group of 53 men lost their focus because maybe a 1/5 of them went to the endzone to celebrate after a turnover? And this then permeated from the coaches to the players, and effected the offense stalling? Stop. I don't mind bootlicking, but this armchair psychology take is ludicrous. I've seen the 49ers and other teams win games after that, so why didn't they lose focus either in those games? Because it wasn't the Super Bowl? Why doesn't celebrating in the endzone after a score have the same effect and trainwrecking an entire team's confidence for the rest of the game? The entire league would be low scoring if what you are insinuating had any semblance of truth to it.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 02-04-2020 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    He screwed up clock management in the 4th quarter too. Midway through and still up by ten and they have the ball and have been running it well all game. 1st down they give it Mostert who picks up a good chunk. Then they throw it on 2nd and 3rd downs killing the clock. Your the best running team in the NFL and you've been running it well all night so keep doing what you do best. Running the ball on both plays kills another minute even if they don't pick up the 1st down. Then there was still more than 5 minutes and he could then pulled a Belichick / Vrabel move and taken two intentional penalties on 4th down as that keeps the clock moving outside the last 5 minutes.

I saw some sports writer point out that even a kid who has only played Madden seems to understand clock management better than Shanahan given how he screwed it up so badly in the Patriot / Falcons superbowl and then again in this game.
    I'm not as ticked about that as I was the decision not to go for a score before a half, and just be content with a 10-10 lead essentially. Chris Jones in the 4th quarter was a monster and just killed the 49ers pass game. But yeah, Kyle should have tried to run the ball with Mostert/Coleman a few more times or get Samuel at least a touch or two in the 4th quarter which he didn't.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 02-04-2020 at 02:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Well this isn't the 1st time a team believed that they were gonna win leaving too much time on the clock. In watching "Missing Rings" the Bengals in 1988 had a lead over the 49ers with less than a minute and half. A fact that Collingsworth would tell Wyche they left too much time for Montana. The Bengals ownership thought they had won the game and team personnel began wheeling the celebration stuff into locker room. All while Montana started to drive.

Boomer was on the sideline as he claims as he had been contacted before the game by the Walt Disney company. They had wanted to film a spot of "I'm going to Disney World..." Anyhow he kept slowly rehearsing the line as they waited on time to go off the clock watching Joe. Then as he threw the winning TD the Disney folks went over to Montana to film the spot.
    Like Shanahan himself said after the game, and many times before, he's never comfortable until the game hits triple zeroes. He was actually getting ticked at Saleh in the NFC Championship up 34-20 with around 7 or 8 minutes to go.

Teams score a lot quicker than they did in 1988. The 49ers weren't celebrating like they had won with 7 minutes to go up 20-10 against the Chiefs. Hoax.

This is what happens though after every Super Bowl loss. For the loser, people overreact and try to find a bedtime story narrative to explain why a team lost, and half the time they border on the absurd. It's never a team just failed to execute, it's always "they were mentally shook" or "they didn't take the game seriously" or "the moment was too big for them". Those are the takes that do irk me. The armchair psychoanalysis...as if someone on their coach or at a bar could actually deduce what is going through an entire group of people's heads.

Getting a little nutty in this thread, so I'll be moving to the offseason-talk. See you and the rest of the yahoos there.
    Last edited by HowitzerJoe; 02-04-2020 at 02:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I like Mahomes but he has a decade or more of playing before he can be mentioned in the same breathe as Dan Marino or Tom Brady for comeback wins.

He's off to a hell of start on the ascension!
    Another fun Mahomes stat...

He's currently 24-7 as a starter. That's impressive enough, to have a winning percentage that high... but here's the kicker... In none of those seven losses has any team beaten the Chiefs by more than 7 points.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    [font=georgia]Don Coryell!?!?!? At least Coryell has a style of offense named after him. How bout Reid's resume is better than Bill Cowher who just got in with not NEARLY as many Conference Championship game appearances. Some of those early Steeler seasons weren't even 8-8, the cult of personality is what was a big factor in getting Cowher into the HOF, by that same logic Tomlin is a HOF'er already...
    Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Dan Fouts and others all have said Coryell deserves it. That Chiefs offense...that is Don Coryell inspired. Fouts in a special called "Missing Rings" said he could have stepped into the LA Rams huddle and ran the same plays. Everything seemingly was inspired by Coryell's system. So for what he brought to the league we see with these spread formations etc , Coryell deserves to go in at some point. Its wrong he's not so long.
    Let me 'splain...

I thought Coryell WAS in, because he deserves to be, and I could swear he was. But Andy Reid has a better history of postseason success than Coryell, and regular season success, at that.

I didn't mean that as any kind of slight on Coryell. Just that I felt like if Coryell was the bar to get in, that Reid gets in too.

Alas, it seems the bar might be... Sid Gillman? I dunno.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 02-04-2020 at 02:43 AM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post
    Shanahan doesn't late outside influences from "critics" dictate how he prepares for a game. He's not that stupid, nor is his skin that soft. Watch his pressers. He really does have tunnel vision when it comes to those things. Even if that was true, he would have let Jimmy pass the ball down the field before the two minute mark with a minute and a half and two timeouts in his pocket. But he was content to run the clock out, and only advanced the ball after a long run by Coleman, and there was barely any time left at that point. Only a nullified pass to George Kittle.

I'm not sure where you heard that narrative, but it's laughably bogus for anyone that has watched the 49ers consistently this year.
    Shanahan has came out and said he didn't want to possibly give Mahomes another chance before the half given how quick he can click on as we saw. He was spooked by Mahomes more or less. Its why he didn't do the time out and went into half time 10-10.

The whole daring Jimmy to beat them was what Clark taunted all week. A fact Bradshaw and others seemed to claim that Jimmy would make these big throws to win surprising people in pregame with them saying he could open the game throwing to catch KC off guard. Also one analyst claimed a week before the game that Shanahan would likely throw the ball more in a 2nd half (which surprised people how true this became).
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post
    Every team does that after an interception or fumble now and days. You're telling me that a group of 53 men lost their focus because maybe a 1/5 of them went to the endzone to celebrate after a turnover? And this then permeated from the coaches to the players, and effected the offense stalling? Stop. I don't mind bootlicking, but this armchair psychology take is ludicrous. I've seen the 49ers and other teams win games after that, so why didn't they lose focus either in those games? Because it wasn't the Super Bowl? Why doesn't celebrating in the endzone after a score have the same effect and trainwrecking an entire team's confidence for the rest of the game? The entire league would be low scoring if what you are insinuating had any semblance of truth to it.
    And yet its true in this case. That was over-the-top and cocky. What exactly had they accomplished? An interception. Not even points and they are doing that? Cocky, cocky, cocky and stupid. Could they still have won? Of course! But it was one of those moments that likely fired up the Chiefs and it was a stupid move to make.

I was one of the two guys in the party I was at rooting for the 49ers, and thought it was a stupid thing to do.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

After the loss talking heads Bayless and Mangini are struggling to deny Mahomes comically. One of the funniest was Mangini (the failed coach of NY Jets and Cleveland Browns) claiming how Mahomes wasn't so special because he struggled in the 1st half of the Super Bowl. As Eddie George and the host claimed , its the fact he suddenly in the last 9+ minutes he showed how great he could be rallying everything.

Also Mangini tries to dismiss the 3 comeback wins down 10+ points in the playoffs.

Meanwhile Skip Bayless took the idea to mock Shannon Sharpe for deciding to favor the 49ers over the Chiefs as he mockingly calls Mahomes "Myhomeboy" to Sharpe as a diss. It gets old pretty quick but Bayless lays on it for minutes and decides to blame the 49ers as expected. Giving little or no credit to Mahomes for this comically.

As pure karma his idol "Dak Prescott" did not win a Super Bowl before Pat Mahomes. So that has to really drive this man fucking nuts.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.