Page 25 of 155 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    I'd like to point out I said before Ben, not that Ben shouldn't be in at all.

Eli and Ben are the only QBs not named Brees or Brady currently playing that should be considered, IMHO. If one doesn't get in, neither should the other.

Eli did something rather historic, TWICE. And personal note, I think both Mannings are overrated.
    You don't think Rodgers should be considered? If he retired tomorrow he'd be in.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    To me, the Hall is about the history of the league.

Joe Namath is in because of what he did and the place he played in the history of the NFL.

As of right now, what has Ben done for the history of the league? Not really anything ... he's not better than Brady, or Manning, or Brees ... he didn't do anything historic that changed the league ...

I think Eli deserves to be in before Ben in that regard. He took down the evil Patriots led by the GOAT Tom Brady, TWICE, in a SB. One of those teams was the vaunted 18-0 team. And he did it both times with flair.

What is Ben's signature moment in the NFL for the average fan? His issues off the field ...

30-40-50-100 years from now, do you really think people are going to talk about THAT ONE TIME Big Ben led the league in something or the fact that Eli beat Tom Brady twice in a SB?
    What did Kelly do? What did Aikman do that wasn't already done? Yet both are in. The NFL Hall of Fame isn't just about innovative pioneers to the sport.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Meanwhile, the Patriots signed Antonio Brown after the Raiders cut him, apparently aware that he was about to be accused of sexual assault. The Raiders have Richie Incognito ready to go when he's back from suspension and he threatened to shoot up a mortuary for not letting him decapitate his father's corpse.

Kaepernick has been accused of no crime. He kneels during the anthem to protest police violence. That's it.
    Talent talks. That's the way the NFL works.

****, I'm struggling for a way to put Eli in the Hall of Very Good first time he's on the ballot.

I'll give it Ben on this, in the AFC there are only a couple of QB's to even win Superbowls in the Brady era. #18, Ben and Flacco. Bert from Sesame Street ain't going to the HOF, even though he's a Lee Evans between the hands missed catch of beating Brady twice. I would gather Flacco's league numbers probably are better than Eli's(?) Really it's a credit to Ben AND Eli EXCEPT Eli didn't have to see the Patriots but once every 4 years (and maybe one other time depending on strength of conference schedule during that time). Ben and Peyton saw Brady all the fkn time. Not only that Eli got to the Superbowls largely on the strength of that Giants defense, you can make an argument that Ben did too to a degree but he also has a TON of passing yards, league leading stuff that Eli, couldn't dream to have had. Nuff respect to Eli, I'm still paying the tax note on the building he took one of Brady's ring from but there's no way he needs to go into the HOF same as Ben.

As an aside and some liberties are taken here with this analogy, if you compare the last 20 of NFL football to the 1990's period of the NBA. Brady is Jordan, Peyton Manning (or a percentage of both Manning's if one want's to be that guy about it) is Olajuwon and that makes Ben the Detroit Pistons. They were the 'Bad Boys', Ben's just a bad guy. :rimshot:. Off-field instances make little consideration imo same as the Patriots being some sort of menace against the league and thus holding Eli's pair of SB wins over Brady as some hyper feat. Even Eli I would think wouldn't want that to be the sole reason he's seen a certain way.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by HowitzerJoe View Post
    Talent talks. That's the way the NFL works.
    I repeat, Ritchie Incognito, a psychotic 38 year old guard who commits at least one stupid penalty a game.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I repeat, Ritchie Incognito, a psychotic 38 year old guard who commits at least one stupid penalty a game.
    And on the defensive side of the ball, the Raiders have Vontaze Burfict who's just as much a penalty machine as Incognito.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    And on the defensive side of the ball, the Raiders have Vontaze Burfict who's just as much a penalty machine as Incognito.
    Oddly enough Burfict's been pretty clean so far this year
    Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

To say Kaep isn't in the NFL because of talent, considering who some teams have as backups, is as ludicrous as it is blind.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    To say Kaep isn't in the NFL because of talent, considering who some teams have as backups, is as ludicrous as it is blind.
    Kaep doesn't have the talent to override the admittedly bullcrap negatives teams associate with him. If he was Rodgers he'd never have had a single game off, much less multiple seasons.
    Dark does not mean deep.

The reason is the same its been for the past few years. Its the media circus that would surround him that teams don't want to deal with. Its a scale of talent vs. media circus. If the former is strong enough you'll find teams willing to deal with it. If it isn't they don't want to. Kaepernick is backup level talent who definitely could fill in for a couple teams in need right now. But that doesn't outweigh the media circus it will bring in their minds. Is that fair? No its really is not fair. Not when you have felons in the league and the like. But that's the reasoning.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

In NFL News , Taco Charlton was released by the Cowboys after 2 lackluster seasons. The former 1st rd pick from 2017 never could become a starter at DE. A fact that in 2+ seasons he only started 7 games and had 4 sacks. Last week Charlton tweeted FREE ME and deleted it soon after. Charlton will be hitting waivers.

Also everyone expects that Jalen Ramsey will be traded on Friday. That the team is looking at trade partners to move the disgruntled CB to.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Ol' Doogie, Circa 2005 GindyPosts's Avatar

The Colts released Chad Kelly after his two game suspension, leaving Jacoby Brissett and Brian Hoyer. This means Indy is very confident in Jacoby right now, although I don't consider Hoyer a competent enough backup to have. Then again, this was the team that kept and released Phillip "I can't throw farther than 4 yards" Walker 30 times last year and will likely resign him to the practice squad once more by the end of the week to fill in for Kelly's departure.

You don't think Rodgers should be considered? If he retired tomorrow he'd be in.
    Indeed. I forgot about him. Rodgers is in, no doubt.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Ray Lewis was indicted for murder. Yet he's in. Even if he didn't do it (it's still not completely clear what happened), you'd think that connection alone would cross him off. If that same situation happened today in the climate we live in, no way a player gets inducted. Ben's rape allegations are still not completely concrete regarding what truly happened. And that was still at a different time compared to today. Since the details are smokey, Ben will get in.
    Ray Lewis was a generational talent at his position. He is at minimum in the conversation for best linebacker of all time. Which despite his role in a murder is what got him in the HoF 1st ballot.

Rapistberger on the other hand isn't even a top 5 QB of his generation let alone all time. Which is why his raping a girl in a bathroom could be used against him by some voters. He's already a marginal case and if a few keep him off the ballots over it then it could be the difference. Only FIVE modern players can be inducted each year. And if you are only a 5th to 10th somewhere best QB of your generation how do you justify him getting in over someone who was one of the best at another position.

You can't throw his stats out there and say top 10 QB ever given we are in an era of hyper inflated passing. In past eras it was so much harder to pass the ball which is why I still believe Dan Marino's 1984 season is the greatest season by a QB ever since if he'd playing by todays rules he'd probably have thrown for 6000 yards and 60 TD's.
    Last edited by TriggerWarning; 09-18-2019 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    The reason is the same its been for the past few years. Its the media circus that would surround him that teams don't want to deal with. Its a scale of talent vs. media circus. If the former is strong enough you'll find teams willing to deal with it. If it isn't they don't want to. Kaepernick is backup level talent who definitely could fill in for a couple teams in need right now. But that doesn't outweigh the media circus it will bring in their minds. Is that fair? No its really is not fair. Not when you have felons in the league and the like. But that's the reasoning.
    Exactly.

There is no bigger media circus in the NFL right now than Antonio Brown but he was signed immediately after leaving the Raiders because talent wise he is still arguably the best WR in the game (Hopkins is the only one I'd even put close to him). Were the Patriots to cut him tomorrow some other team would sign him immediately.

But for a bench player? No team is going to put up with this kind of circus for a backup. As I've said several times its the same thing that drove Tim Tebow out of the league and he was actually a positive influence on the fanbase and ticket sales but coaches and execs were tired of the media barrage all over a guy who was a backup.