Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
Bizarrely, as many times as the Panthers have gone to the playoffs with Cam Newton at QB and Rivera at coach, the franchise still has yet to achieve two back-to-back winning seasons. There were a lot of points where people thought Rivera was going to get the hook after underachieving a year after making the playoffs.

They were 7-9 last year. If the trend continued, this should have been a winning season... but it doesn't look like it will. The Panthers are 5-7, have Luke Kuechly getting older all the time (and with serious concussion concerns), and Cam Newton is broken. Greg Olson is almost certainly near retirement. Their hopes fall almost exclusively on Christian McCaffrey and a promising DT corps, going forward.

They're going hard reboot, and I can't blame the new ownership and GM for doing so.
The situation with Newton is a WTF deal. I can see Carolina asking him to do a restructure salary due to injuries the last 2 seasons and GM keeping Kyle Allen around. I mean as much as Allen has struggled , we have to understand he hasn't started much and a lot of losses were close ones. Plus he has a great team friendly contract so keeping him around is pretty good.

Newton's health deal though is a BIG issue. If healthy he's a guy who can run and throw. But as we saw briefly this year he was hobbled badly.