Page 72 of 155 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122 ... LastLast
Results 1,066 to 1,080 of 2317

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I think Brady would do fine with some teams even at his age without Belichick. But there is a limit. I doubt Brady would do well on my home town team The Bengals. But put him on the Saints or Kc and he would be nasty.
    Disregarding the fact that neither team needs a QB at the moment.
    Beth Hart - Fire On The Floor CD Review

Beth Hart February 23rd, 2017 Boston, MA Concert Review

"I can't complain. I got to be Jim Morrison for the first half of my life, and Ward Cleaver for the second half." - Warren Zevon.

Ah, the Brady /Belichick debate. I have no doubt Brady would have been a great QB no matter where he was. But the GOAT? I don't think so. Here is my gadanken experiment. Put another great QB on the Pats with Belichick like Rodgers, Breez or Manning and they probably win the same Superbowls. But Brady on another team? Does he win 6 Superbols on the Rams or the Colts or Denver or one of the NY teams. I am pretty sure the answer is no. In fact I can say if he was on the Jets or the Bengals , he would be lucky to have one.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Ah, the Brady /Belichick debate. I have no doubt Brady would have been a great QB no matter where he was. But the GOAT? I don't think so. Here is my gadanken experiment. Put another great QB on the Pats with Belichick like Rodgers, Breez or Manning and they probably win the same Superbowls. But Brady on another team? Does he win 6 Superbols on the Rams or the Colts or Denver or one of the NY teams. I am pretty sure the answer is no. In fact I can say if he was on the Jets or the Bengals , he would be lucky to have one.
    The issue there is you can make that statement about nearly anyone. Would Montana have been as great if he was coached by some mediocre coach instead of an all time great? Would Bart Starr have won 5 championships with an also-ran rather than Lombardi? Great coaches and great quarterbacks often seem to come together - with some of the former proving that they weren't made by the QB by virtue of the longer shelf life coaches have so long as they can stay competitive.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Ah, the Brady /Belichick debate.
    The only debate between them two is how much honor is in fact among thieves...

Did Brady unlock some achievement over the weekend? Assuming this debate is still based on professional merit, Brady would have to get a second job. It's not even a leap to say Belichick is likely also the greatest NFL general manager of all time.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    The only debate between them two is how much honor is in fact among thieves...

Did Brady unlock some achievement over the weekend? Assuming this debate is still based on professional merit, Brady would have to get a second job. It's not even a leap to say Belichick is likely also the greatest NFL general manager of all time.
    Gonna stay with my theory that Belichick has Mephistopheles working in the Pats' front office somewhere.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Gonna stay with my theory that Belichick has Mephistopheles working in the Pats' front office somewhere.
    Belichick has a lot of misses as a GM - his strongest trait is his ability to admit defeat when it comes to a player who doesn't work and cut them faster than other GMs who always seem to slip into the 'sunk cost' fallacy.

His teams are also often built around holes in the salary scale - if a position is undervalued, you can bet Bill will run a scheme that features that position heavily.

on the Monday Night note, are the Steelers going to suffer the dubious distinction of being Maimi's first win?
    Last edited by Gray Lensman; 10-28-2019 at 06:40 PM.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    The issue there is you can make that statement about nearly anyone. Would Montana have been as great if he was coached by some mediocre coach instead of an all time great? Would Bart Starr have won 5 championships with an also-ran rather than Lombardi? Great coaches and great quarterbacks often seem to come together - with some of the former proving that they weren't made by the QB by virtue of the longer shelf life coaches have so long as they can stay competitive.
    Don't agree. Rodgers and Brees are both acknowledge as two of the best to play the game with only 1 SB each. Dan Marino is one of the greats without an SB. I think Brady would have still have been great. But his place as the GOAT by many is largely based on 6 SBs. My contention is it is more Belichick than Brady. I think the Pats are justs successful with another of the best currently playing. Hell, Belichick won with Matt Cassell. a
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Astonishing Member Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon's Avatar

The South Beach Dolphins show why they are a awful team because Steelers defense able to create a fumble, and recover the Football.

The Dolphins similar to the Bills game again found a glorious way to choke after playing effective for more than 12 minutes, and having the lead.

With out Brady, Belichick would still be considered one of
    The greatest defensive minds in football history and
    Worse on field dressers and probably ( maybe ) only
    Have 1 or 2.Super Bowls

With out Belichick, Tom Brady may have ended up a skinny
    Undrafted Quarterback from Michigan with no gorgeous wife.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Brady's play during years that the Patriots defense wasn't up to snuff carried this franchise to be competitive. As much as Belichick gets the "genius" label now ; would he have achieved it with Drew Bledsoe ? Also remember his run in Cleveland where he tried to run this same type of system and cycled through QB's then. Brady made him that genius , his work ethic and ability to just stay consistent and win ; made Bill Belichick who was a great defensive coach ..into a Hall of Fame head coach.

John Madden once said during Montana's retirement ceremony , "Could Joe have went to the Cardinals or another team and been a success ?" Madden said Montana's ability to win and stay cool under fire made him a Hall of Fame QB and he could have done that wherever he went.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    on the Monday Night note, are the Steelers going to suffer the dubious distinction of being Maimi's first win?
    The Dolphins had a 14-3 lead, but have given up 21 unanswered to Pittsburgh.

Seems like there is still more sadness to be found as the Fish Tank this season.

I am not saying Brady isn't great. Just that he isn't the GOAT.
    Sure Belichick needed a great QB. But wouldn't he have been just as successful with Rodgers or Brees or Manning or Roethesberg, etc.
    But how winning would Brady have been in San Diego? As well as Rivers?

Shannon Sharpe brought up a good point on why the Patriots may move on from Brady before he wants.

- Sharpe pointed out teams with a clear line of succession at the position win and have that franchise QB in the building as the older one is leaving. He pointed out the Chiefs who had a solid QB in Alex Smith who was 33 at the time they traded up for Pat Mahomes. Andy Reid knew he needed a long term QB as Smith's contract was up after 2018. The Chiefs needed a franchise QB to follow so they had that in the building prepping him to be ready.

- Sharpe said its why teams like the NY Jets , Miami Dolphins and Buffalo Bills have failed the last 20+ seasons. The Dolphins never prepared for life after Dan Marino and they have spent years drafting , signing and trading for QB's to do that. They haven't found that QB since. Buffalo hasn't since Jim Kelly walked away either. Good teams have that guy in the building ready while the older one is pushed out.

-
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

I am not saying Brady isn't great. Just that he isn't the GOAT.
    Sure Belichick needed a great QB. But wouldn't he have been just as successful with Rodgers or Brees or Manning or Roethesberg, etc.
    But how winning would Brady have been in San Diego? As well as Rivers?

I pointed out that Brady's WR's from 2000-2006 ; nearly all of them were out of the league after 2-3 seasons. Only Branch had an ok career and came back. But a number of those WR's like Givens , Caldwell etc were journey men he has won with. Right now everyone has said Brady is playing good football with a supporting WR cast of Edelman , Phillip Dorsett and Jacobi Meyers (rookie). Its why they traded for Sanu to give Tom someone. Yet ...here is Tom Brady winning and making them all work.

Peyton Manning had a loaded offensive team in Indy as we saw. Phillip Rivers had LT and a loaded offense as well. Tom Brady beyond the years he had Moss , Welker , Gronk (when healthy) and Cooks (1 season or 2) , has played with lesser guys for years. And he's produced.

Tom Brady is the greatest of all-time. If you can carry journey men WR's to Super Bowls and win...your the greatest.

Just saw this announcement out of LA... the Chargers have fired OC Ken Whisenhunt after a rough start to the season, and inability to get their offense working with Rivers, Allen, and Gordon.