Default What would you say defines each MU sub-setting?

I pointed this out elsewhere. One of the things that makes a massive shared universe work is the settings within it. Each one has their niche, their own way of doing things, and each one feels like a true entity. It's not just about the characters, but what they bring to the table. If two settings are interchangeable outside different characters, there might be a problem. Each one has a hat, if you will, that makes them interesting. The appeal of the shared universe comes in when you see these different elements meet and play off each other, which needs to be handled with care, but makes for good fun when it does.

For example:
    • Avengers is defined by epic stories involving many characters and elements drawing from different sources.
    • Doctor Strange is defined by its psychedelic and sometimes horror-esque lovecraftian fantasy.
    • X-Men is defined by soap opera-like plots, use of social commentary, and science fiction with occasional magic.
    • Daredevil is defined by the focus the grim and gritty, down and dirty, noir-esque stories with slight mysticism.
    • Fantastic Four is defined by being adventure stories with themes of family, extensive worldbuilding, and the call of something greater.
    • Hulk is defined by his constant struggle both internally with himself, and externally with the outside world.
    • Spider-Man is defined by being the corner where realism reigns; Spidey struggles with the mundane, characters develop, dead is dead, and the status quo changes have actual and meaningful consequences (barring cases of a marketing team taking over or an editor having an agenda...).

What do you guys think, and what would you add?

Discuss.

I can only say those VS’s books were wonderful to demonstrate what you mean by “sub-setting” clashing. I could not tell who were going to win in those stories, when writers had to decide which hero beat which hero. The class of “sub-settings” was palpable.

I would call it more a clash or “narrators”. Captain America has his narrator that makes Cap the hero of his story. Spider-Man has his narrator that makes him the hero of his story. Once you take that hero out of the authority of his narrator, he is all on his own. It’s a pretty jarring state for our hero to be in.