Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would a jsa movie or series work?

I was watching the first captain America movie the other night and thought about how good it was. part of the fun was it being set in the 40s.

Would you like to see a series of movies featuring the golden age characters? Or at least a series?

The idea of a JSA series with each year being a different major arc is something I've thought about. A first episode setting things up and a string of episodes each focusing on one character like the old All-Star setup ending in a concluding episode with everyone.

I think the JLA movie is proof that you need to spend some time setting the characters up or otherwise it's a cluttered mess. I'd hate to see the JSA crammed into a two-or-three hour film where all their elements need to be introduced and explained.

However, I think a JSA series would be pretty cool. You could do the first episode focusing on one member (say, Jay Garrick) and his/her story with the first episode ending with the JSA forming. Subsequent episodes can focus on other members and their backgrounds even as the main storyline moves forward (a la LOST).

One thing to note: The membership would probably need to be changed up a bit to make it a bit more well-rounded for modern audiences. Probably lose Atom and, I don't know, Hawkman, for folks like Phantom Lady and Liberty Belle. And maybe change, say, Jim Corrigan's race.

BANNED

No, because I've never been a fan of them. That said, I'm not sure whether or not it would work.

If it was to be done, it would probably work best as a period piece. One reason I never liked the JSA is because I just wasn't excited about the idea of all these silly old ass heroes. I think casting them as a bunch of old men might not be a good idea, but I really don't know. It could work. I'm just not a fan of theirs, though I think the voice of someone who isn't a fan, and why they aren't a fan, can be valuable sometimes.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman leading Jay Garrick/The Flash, Alan Scott (maybe in this he's an actual member of the Green Lantern Corps, but doesn't really know how to use it), a prior life of Hawkman, Starman, and Liberty Belle. The OG herself, a scarlett speedster, an intergalactic cop, an archeologist, a scientist, and a professional adventurer/female Indiana Jones.

Maybe Sandman and Wildcat instead of some of those. A dude with guns and a boxer. More down to earth characters to mix with Wonder Woman and the Flash.

It's gotta have balls though. I want to see Wonder Woman fighting actual nazis. Not like the First Avenger where Cap fought make believe enemies.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-03-2019 at 07:51 PM.

Astonishing Member chamber-music's Avatar

We saw the JSA a bit in previous shows like Smallville and Legends of Tomorrow.

We are going to see some more live JSA in the upcoming Star Girl show next year. Starman, Wildcat, Hourman and Doctor Mid-Nite have all be confirmed to appear in the show.

A JSA movie could work. I like Pulp superhero stuff like the Phantom, Rocketeer and the Shadow. I doubt a JSA movie is a top priority for WB's Dc movies though. The studio already has a slate of films in development s o the chances of seeing a JSA film within the next decade is slim.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    I think the JLA movie is proof that you need to spend some time setting the characters up or otherwise it's a cluttered mess. I'd hate to see the JSA crammed into a two-or-three hour film where all their elements need to be introduced and explained.
    In my dream world, a series of 3 or 4 JSA films would be great to tell some period piece stories, but you're right that it would probably not be enough to do them justice in one. In reality though, I imagine a lo-fi series with minimal special effects to match the feel of the 40s could be fun. You can have war stories, crime bosses, mysticism, etc. each played out in one or more episodes per arc.

Astonishing Member

I'd prefer a WWII era series -- but I don't know if general audiences would feel the same. Really, there isn't much point to JSA if they just alternative versions of the JLA. Then, they may as well be Squadron Supreme. Without their historical significance, I just don't see the point.

Quote Originally Posted by kcekada View Post
    I'd prefer a WWII era series -- but I don't know if general audiences would feel the same. Really, there isn't much point to JSA if they just alternative versions of the JLA. Then, they may as well be Squadron Supreme. Without their historical significance, I just don't see the point.
    I consider these threads to be more of expressing our personal feelings and likes. We often get into "would it sell?" or "would it be popular?" but these questions are difficult to answer with our layman knowledge.

I think "Guardians of the Galaxy" showed that anything can sell with the right creative vision behind it. We can have fun trying to think of ways we'd try to sell it to people, because nobody knows for sure.

Personally, I think that it could be fun if it were a period piece where you have a few "mystery men" pulp-types like Sandman or Crimson Avenger already running around and then we experience them confronting this new wave of "super" heroes, they tussle a bit, etc then of course team up to fight some Big Bad. It'd be an allegory for how times always change but we ultimately have to embrace new directions and new thinking or we're doomed, yada yada...

Extraordinary Member

I don't trust DC to do any comic movie right. I mean, we went from Ben Affleck to the pale-faced kid from Twilight as Batman.

Spectacular Member

I've always wanted to see James Robinson's "The Golden Age" adapted, live-action or as one of the current DC animated movies, but just as a one-off film.

Quote Originally Posted by Vampire Savior View Post
    No, because I've never been a fan of them. That said, I'm not sure whether or not it would work.

If it was to be done, it would probably work best as a period piece. One reason I never liked the JSA is because I just wasn't excited about the idea of all these silly old ass heroes. I think casting them as a bunch of old men might not be a good idea, but I really don't know. It could work. I'm just not a fan of theirs, though I think the voice of someone who isn't a fan, and why they aren't a fan, can be valuable sometimes.
    Sorry to hear you don’t like the best team DC has to offer
    I’ve always preferred them over the league.

As to the original question, I would love to see a JSA series. We should be getting some of that in the upcoming Stargirl series.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

I'd worry too much about the show balancing the 1940's without making the JSA crusaders for 2020 social views or else being deconstructed as a group of privledged white men supporting a racist misogynistic culture. If they could find creators who could make the JSAers heroic while still allowing them to be flawed men of their time in some ways, that I could get behind.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I think "Guardians of the Galaxy" showed that anything can sell with the right creative vision behind it. We can have fun trying to think of ways we'd try to sell it to people, because nobody knows for sure.

Personally, I think that it could be fun if it were a period piece where you have a few "mystery men" pulp-types like Sandman or Crimson Avenger already running around and then we experience them confronting this new wave of "super" heroes, they tussle a bit, etc then of course team up to fight some Big Bad. It'd be an allegory for how times always change but we ultimately have to embrace new directions and new thinking or we're doomed, yada yada...
    j9ac9k has it right. The right creative team could do it, and the WB has shown they can put such teams together (Wonder Woman/Aquaman). Whether they would for properties that have been considered backburner by DC since Flashpoint? That's another question.