Page 8 of 73 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse-James View Post
    Still missing A-listers Rogue, Psylocke, Gambit, Iceman, Rachel and Bishop in both books.
    Those aren't A-listers. Maybe Rogue is close though.

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I don't need her wrecking shop to be Queen Jean - IMO the character often varies between vulnerable and godlike.
    Yep, that's our Jeannie.

Solid issue. It's funny that I actually cared more about these deaths while knowing they'll somehow be undone than I have about any deaths depicted in the books over the past 10 years.

Wolverine and Nightcrawler going out was the best moment.

Mystique was definitely up to something. Probably Krakoa seed related. There seems to be some kind of foliage in the background when she reaches her control arm....but we don't see any more of it when we see Gregor and Omega in the room after sending her into space, so we'll see.

Marvel Girl.....something is definitely up with her. The old costume and code name, and the total lack of any telekinesis at all. She hasn't been shown using TK or even mentioned as having the ability in this series, has she? I think that Xavier is keeping psychic records of all the X-Men and then uses the pods to craft new bodies for them. He creates "ideal" versions of them. So his Jean is the young telepath who hasn't manifested her TK powers. Something like that....we'll see. But beyond that, she was definitely hurt in the blast, and she was maintaining telepathic connection with a planet millions of miles away.....so yeah, I can see how that may take some effort, even for a powerful telepath.

Monet going into Penance mode was cool. I never really took a strong liking to the Gen X crew, so for me they're a pretty blank canvas. Seems like a cool power shift. I like the voice she's had in this series. Poor Husk didn't get much to do before dying off panel.

I don't mind the general downgrading of power levels that seems to be at play. I mean, with the exception of Jean, I don't think it's really been that bad, but I'm cool with it if that's the way it goes. I prefer that characters not be uber-powerful. I like when there are limits to what characters can do and that they are challenged.

I'm curious where things go next. The future squad from life 9 was wiped out for their mission but succeeded, and Hickman maintained the parallels here by having the mission succeed despite the whole team being wiped out (although technically, Wolverine got away in the future). But with the Mother Mold destroyed, is the dark future stuff off the table? Is Nimrod avoided? Or simply delayed?

As for why Magneto didn't go....the guys in charge are never the ones wearing the suicide vests.

Edited to add: Also, that little bit from Cyclops about Wolverine.....a nice little detail I appreciated.
    Last edited by hawkeyefan; 09-04-2019 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    The Monet we saw in Phalanx Covenant were the M-twins, who merged together to form Monet.

In Generation X, the twins are able to find out that the real Monet is trapped inside of the mute Penance body, and they free her by trading places with her.

Later, during a fight at the school, the twins are freed with all 3 sisters back together & human again.

Meanwhile the Penance body continued to exist as its own entity, and eventually took the name Hollow.

During Bunn's Uncanny X-Men, she fights Emplate and tries to distract him long enough to fade away to his own dimension, but he merges with her at the last second -she then slowly becomes M-Plate. She stays that way for a while until finally being freed in Strain's GenX with the help of Bling, Jubilee, Chamber, Husk, and Hindsight.

As of now, this new power-up is unexplained & unexplored. Monet has not shown the ability to take this form whenever prior to this issue. And it's a question of hos she aquired this ability.
    Thank you for this. Wow, so complicated.

The Red Dragon

Hickman’s Jean is embarrassing. She’s a useless damsel in distress that needs to be saved by her man.
    How innovative and provocative!

Fantastic Member

If the next PoX focuses on Sinister, gosh what if the podded X-Men from this squad are the first of Sinister's chimera/breeding pit successes and feature them or Krakoa implanted with Moira's power.

Too bad Husk didn't get to do anything it's kind of fun to me to see what husked form she takes on in a given issue

The Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Odd, cause I felt nothing.
    Same cuz who doesnt think it’s some moira life or that they’ll just be brought back?

Not a huge fan of victimism

Everybody died, not just Jean. Jean could be a lot better though but this victimization is ridiculous. Everybody is jobbing, falling and dying.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by fsger View Post
    Not a huge fan of victimism

Everybody died, not just Jean. Jean could be a lot better though but this victimization is ridiculous. Everybody is jobbing, falling and dying.
    His Husk and Angel aren't great either... but they're the equivalent of actual wall paper but everyone else managed to get something.

Jean stands out not just because she died, but her portrayal prior to dying. It's ridiculous given who we know Jean to be.

It's just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Nash View Post
    Also, if they'd brought along Lorna or Magneto this could have been taken care of in 2 minutes with little probability of death.
    Well little probability of mutant deaths at least.

I was happy about the shout out to the Genoshan genocide, it was a huge realigning moment for the line that shouldn't be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post

Marvel Girl.....something is definitely up with her. The old costume and code name, and the total lack of any telekinesis at all. She hasn't been shown using TK or even mentioned as having the ability in this series, has she? I think that Xavier is keeping psychic records of all the X-Men and then uses the pods to craft new bodies for them. He creates "ideal" versions of them. So his Jean is the young telepath who hasn't manifested her TK powers. Something like that....we'll see. But beyond that, she was definitely hurt in the blast, and she was maintaining telepathic connection with a planet millions of miles away.....so yeah, I can see how that may take some effort, even for a powerful telepath.
    She still has telekinesis...when Scott talks about meeting up with her and using his optic blast to push them into an escape vector, he says Jean may need to use her power to hold the pod together.

This is simply a hugely out of character and subpar "Jean"

This was no Jean, it's like she's been reverted the marvel girl from TAS or the sixties.... Not Jean from x-men red where she was a confident and powerful leader... I hope there is an explanation coming for that...

The Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Even without OMEGA. She is a strong enough telekinetic to have handled alot of the situation she was in. Did you read it yet? What did you think about it?
    Exactly it has nothing to do with omega. Hickman’s Jean is just a huge regression.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Overall I really liked this issue.

Pros:

- Story is still great
    - Some of the best X-Men Action I've read in a long time
    - Most of the characters were great. Scott's leadership. Kurt's Optimism. Logan being the best at what he does. Monet was a bad ass

Cons:

Easily the Plot

- Big Metal Sentinel Head held by big chunk of metal in space near the sun and Magneto is your ally? Is there a reason why he wasn't brought on this mission?

- Its frustrating not knowing if these X-Men are 'real' or not?
    Last edited by Godzilla2099; 09-04-2019 at 08:37 AM.

Astonishing Member

Time for return of wolverine 2 the stop gap to retuen 3, prequel to death of Logan 4 with a vengeance