Page 66 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1656626364656667686970 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    No offense taken and i somewhat agree with you. I don't think there is an conscious bias but also not a conscious awareness. It's not an inherently bad thing but i think tackling the mutant allegory will make it conscious for him so i'm hopeful. As i've said many times i think he's a great writer.
    Agreed. Hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    No offense taken and i somewhat agree with you. I don't think there is an conscious bias but also not a conscious awareness. It's not an inherently bad thing but i think tackling the mutant allegory will make it conscious for him so i'm hopeful. As i've said many times i think he's a great writer.
    I have to second the recommendation of his non-Marvel books. East of West and Black Monday Murders are both really good, very different from one another, and have diverse casts of strong characters.

i loved the art in this issue. and monet was awesome!

idk if Jean is dead, but I kinda loved that the "Heart of the X-men" aka Jean, is basically dying as the angry "No More" is being displayed.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeyefan View Post
    I have to second the recommendation of his non-Marvel books. East of West and Black Monday Murders are both really good, very different from one another, and have diverse casts of strong characters.
    Also maybe worth mentioning that the characters he’s created for Marvel tend to be more diverse than the existing characters, which could be a conscious corrective to the relative homogeneity of the usual suspects. There was Manifold (Eden Fesi, son of Gateway!) created for Secret Warriors and carried over to Avengers from the first issue. Avengers also introduced a new Captain Universe in Tamara Devoux and new Nightmask, Adam Blackveil. FF had a new Wakandan named Onome who IIRC was the only POC on the team but I also remember the team being mostly non human. Oh yeah, it included Artie and Leech, another X-Men connection from his pre-X-Men work! They were introduced as playmates to Franklin pretty early on I think, Reed slyly taking advantage of Leech’s power to reign in Franklin’s abilities.

I read the first half of East of West and then fell behind. I need to finish it someday soon! And I’ve heard Black Monday Murders is the most chart-tastic thing he’s done yet so I need to read that too. Loving the storytelling possibilities afforded by that element!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    I dint know how many times we have to have this conversation in these threads. Can we just agree that the words bitch and bitchy are no longer acceptable?
    As a gay man of color with a trans sibling and a differently abled partner I don't find bitchy unacceptable. What replacement would you use?

Astonishing Member

I'm not sure how we even got started on this topic lol

Quote Originally Posted by TOTALITY View Post
    Also maybe worth mentioning that the characters he’s created for Marvel tend to be more diverse than the existing characters, which could be a conscious corrective to the relative homogeneity of the usual suspects. There was Manifold (Eden Fesi, son of Gateway!) created for Secret Warriors and carried over to Avengers from the first issue. Avengers also introduced a new Captain Universe in Tamara Devoux and new Nightmask, Adam Blackveil. FF had a new Wakandan named Onome who IIRC was the only POC on the team but I also remember the team being mostly non human. Oh yeah, it included Artie and Leech, another X-Men connection from his pre-X-Men work! They were introduced as playmates to Franklin pretty early on I think, Reed slyly taking advantage of Leech’s power to reign in Franklin’s abilities.

I read the first half of East of West and then fell behind. I need to finish it someday soon! And I’ve heard Black Monday Murders is the most chart-tastic thing he’s done yet so I need to read that too. Loving the storytelling possibilities afforded by that element!
    Yeah, I think it’s more a Marvel thing than a Hickman (or most any other writer) thing. I agree, characters he’s added have been pretty diverse, from Secret Wars through Avengers.

East of West is only a few issues from the end. It’s bonkers but so moody and original. Black Monday Murders is on a hiatus while the artist recovers from an illness, so it may not resume for a bit. But if you like the charts the you’d definitely dig that book. Plus, the premise is fantastic.

Lol @ hickman re visiting wanda’s Crimes. Interesting to see an official number listed.
    Last edited by Grey; 09-06-2019 at 11:40 PM.
    Your favorite superhero- the one you visit these forums to talk about. Would they talk to others the way you do on this message board?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kevinism View Post
    As a gay man of color with a trans sibling and a differently abled partner I don't find bitchy unacceptable. What replacement would you use?
    I don't have a problem with the word. I do have a problem with it being used to dismiss strong female characters to a stereotype while saying only the men are truly strong.

Astonishing Member Su_Whisterfield's Avatar

My favourite mug.

8D93E510-4B79-4277-8D0F-EDE96B592FE7.jpg

Edit. Not a clue why it’s upside down!
    Last edited by Su_Whisterfield; 09-07-2019 at 12:47 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    I would love to see Scarlet Witch confronted
    Confronted by who? Jean will never let anything happen to her.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I don't have a problem with the word. I do have a problem with it being used to dismiss strong female characters to a stereotype while saying only the men are truly strong.
    Emma made a speech with a tone similar to Magneto's UN ambassadors speech. I mean, if Erik had gone into that prison and done the exact same speech (change the mind domination thing to "I'm going to crumble this prison on you") he would have been perceived as strong instead of bitchy.

Same for Wolverine instead of Monet (I could totally see Logan saying "Try harder, bub" to someone).

I think Hickman is writing male and female characters as equally strong here (if we exclude the whole Jean debate). Moira is coming off as such a badass character. Same for Destiny, Emma, Monet and even Ororo with a few lines sounded powerful and regal.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grey View Post
    Lol @ hickman re visiting wanda’s Crimes. Interesting to see an official number listed.
    The Pretender Wanda Maximoff is such a delightful diss lol gald to see Hickman isn't trying to sweep Decimation under the rug. Hopefully this means he's got some plans to have her appear in the books somewhere down the line. If the Avengers side of things don't have too tight a grip on her.

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    The Pretender Wanda Maximoff is such a delightful diss lol gald to see Hickman isn't trying to sweep Decimation under the rug. Hopefully this means he's got some plans to have her appear in the books somewhere down the line. If the Avengers side of things don't have too tight a grip on her.
    I would love seeing Wanda written by Hickman (both in a fight against the mutants and/or just confronting them).