Page 35 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MechaJeanix View Post
    My fear is that this is wishful thinking and this will be 616 Jean (and the others). I'm afraid this is how the writers and editors view Jean. This is the version of the character they like. It is a worrisome notion.
    I can definitely agree because while I loved this issue I wasnt understanding her characterization here.

While I did like the Wolverine and Nightcrawler scene but both guys have been dead before and I'm pretty sure they've both experienced some type of afterlife or limbo or whatever before. Also, I couldn't help but think about Wolverine and Jean going into the sun in New X-Men. I've felt like we've seen this already. Over the last decade we have had too much of the classic characters dying (and being brought back). It has become tedious and boring (which I think is how we might are expected to feel and Hickman is going to play with this idea too and further develop it).
    Yeah, that's definitely the feeling of the last few pages. "This is just how things are"; "no more".

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    the mental breakdown followed by the manipulation followed by the accidental reality warp
    if I accidentally kill someone because I have a mental breakdown due to being manipulated, I still have to face justice. it doesnt excuse my actions.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Mhm, that's right.

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I'll agree with that but the Jean fan in me is gonna need some time away from this issue bc so far 2019 has been pissing me off in terms of how Marvel was using her. This was the first real showing of "our" Jean since Disassembled and I was thoroughly disappointed
    I'm sure Jean will hsve some bad ass moments moving forward. I just think you have to look.at everything that was happening. in fact I think she had the most pressure out of everyone considering she had to devote so much of her energy to enduring a proper link to Xavier. it would make it harder for her to defend herself due to being distracted.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by butterflykyss View Post
    if I accidentally kill someone because I have a mental breakdown due to being manipulated, I still have to face justice. it doesnt excuse my actions.
    Maybe not in an American court room. Luckily for the rest of the world, justice isn't defined by puritanical bible verses like 'an eye for an eye.' Extenuating circumstances and mental health are given due consideration, and not waved away by populist prosecutors more interested in reelection than the public good.
    "A happy ending? So unlikely. We're not having a moment here.

Wrong city, wrong people, all huddling in fear.

No one escapes the slaughterhouse, and that's just where you're at.

(You could've asked Rebecca but then Adam stomped her flat.)

You think you're special cuz you're scrappy? You're deluded, time to go.

Lucy's living on the moon but you're another dead psycho."

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Maybe not in an American court room. Luckily for the rest of the world, justice isn't defined by puritanical bible verses like 'an eye for an eye.' Extenuating circumstances and mental health are given due consideration, and not waved away by populist prosecutors more interested in reelection than the public good.
    now now. no need for that. these things are considered in courts in America. my point is you still have to face trail before your peers. you are not simply exonerated without have to go through due process.

While I did like the Wolverine and Nightcrawler scene but both guys have been dead before and I'm pretty sure they've both experienced some type of afterlife or limbo or whatever before. Also, I couldn't help but think about Wolverine and Jean going into the sun in New X-Men. I've felt like we've seen this already. Over the last decade we have had too much of the classic characters dying (and being brought back). It has become tedious and boring (which I think is how we might are expected to feel and Hickman is going to play with this idea and further develop it).
    Yes, and I do expect Hickman is also playing with our expectations to some degree. But most of the X-Men have died and come back. Most major comic book characters have died and come back. We the readers know they'll always come back because Marvel needs to keep that money-making IP chugging along. The only way to have fun with it anymore is to appreciate that the characters don't know that they'll come back, and enjoy the execution of the idea. The problem with something like Rosenberg's UXM run is that I'm not even sure Rosenberg knew what idea he was trying to get across; everything was so rushed, muddled, and hollow that there's nothing to really enjoy. This, though? I thought this was done well.

In the 616, we have to accept that reality-rending madness just isn't the same thing as real world madness. If every character that went crazy and did horrible things had real world punishment, almost none of our favourite characters would be free... or alive.

Back to the issue... I really felt the visceral, desperate nature of this suicide mission. They won't stay dead but watching favourites die was uncomfortable. As was mentioned earlier, perhaps its because these characters are almost identical to the 616 versions... Jean's regressive cosplay notwithstanding.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    Jean tells him that Husk and Archangel are DEAD.
    Ha no lie i caught myself blubbering 'But Archangel can just heal Paige with his magic blood.... Chuck Austen said so!!'

Quote Originally Posted by Woozie View Post
    Odd, cause I felt nothing.
    You gotta have a soul to feel...

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    I like it personally. Makes her more than just a generic tank character who is super strong, invulnerable, psychic and can fly. She basically flips into Penance mode and is kind of terrifying, with diamond hard skin and razor sharp appendages. Pretty cool IMO. Definitely makes me more interested in Monet and not less. My $.02.
    Only thing that's different with the Penance powerset is appearances
    , and the razor sharp claws. As a fan of Monet since the jump this is worrisome. For these reasons: 1. Doesn't seem to add to her battle effectiveness...M's already invulnerable unless it makes her indestructible ( we see in HOX4 it does not) What's the point of the transformation? Does her Razor sharp claws make her significantly more deadly than her super strong punches?
    2. Shes basically Paige but with 1 husk form
    3. She becomes yet another black Mutant who's "battle body" erases her race. Outta the 10 or 11 black X-Men over half changes into raceless "Battle body" this doesn't erase her race but does potentially limit its visibility. How many times has Bobby Dacosta been in an issue in Sunspot mode vs. NOT powered up? Maggot?
    4. Part of the appeal (to me at least) was M was a hot chick who could kick your ass while retaining her hotness breaking the trope that chicks have to lose their female visibility/looks in order to keep up with the guys
    5. its just going to MUCK up her already MUCKed up history... not only hers but the M-Twins, and the Penance shell..Unless Hickman's gonna do Right by her and explain why change. WHY EFFIN DO IT?
    6. M transforming in the body that her brother trapped her in, abused her in for years in order to gain Razor sharp claws seeeeeems a liiiil problematic
    GrindrStone(D)

The mutants (well, Cyclops at least speaking for them) have already decided not to punish Wanda. It does not mean that they will forgive or forget it but they will not do anything to her.

Art was on point...writing on point and the issue just had this level of desperation that really keeps you on the edge of your seat. The question now is where do we go from here? It’s weird how I actually felt something for these characters dying...especially considering that I haven’t cared or followed these characters for so long.

Obviously unless we get hit with another massive curveball....timeline X isn’t going to end on a good note. Hickman has me extremely curious how this is going to wrap up because we are approaching the stretch run on this ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Also, love that turning on Mother Mold makes her instantly go into villain monologue mode. You’d think the humans would get bored of making AI that always turns on them immediately (Ultron, Skynet, HAL 9000 et al), but nope, they’re still at it.
    It was explicitly said that it was unknown whether Mother Mold would be sane, because it wasn't supposed to be powered on this early.

"It's too soon. You don't know that it's going to be sane."

Quote Originally Posted by Emesem View Post
    Also Wolverines comment about the "next life" makes me think these pod X-Men know they are pod X-Men.
    He's clearly talking about "the life after this one," a.k.a., the afterlife. Nightcrawler's a Christian, and with them about to go to their deaths, Wolverine's asking him if he believes there's anything beyond this life. Which isn't an unreasonable thing to be thinking about when your death is imminent.

Wolverine: So... I gotta ask... You still think there's something waiting for us on the other side?
    Nightcrawler: Worried about your soul, Logan?
    Wolverine: Just wonderin' what someone like me should expect.
    Nightcrawler: When you wake from this earthly slumber, my friend, look for me. I will be there, waiting for you... radiant and with open arms.

Looking at the actual comic, he didn't even actually say anything about "the next life," he was asking about "the other side," the meaning of which is obvious from the context.

From some of the comments I've seen in these threads, it seems that people are so caught up in whatever theories they've concocted that they try to read it into whatever they see (looking for confirmation) and miss what's actually there.
    Protex: “Tronix! Fluxus! What’s happening there? Zenturion? He’s only one man!”
    Superman: “The most… uh… dangerous man on earth…”
    — Superman on Batman, JLA #3 (Mar. 1997)

“He’s the most dangerous man alive in any comic universe.” — Wizard Magazine on Doctor Doom (Nov. 1998)

“[He’s] the most dangerous man in the Marvel universe, because his greatest weapon is the way he thinks and plans, his tremendous intellect.” — Tom Brevoort on T’Challa (Sep. 2010)

Quote Originally Posted by T'Challa Bruce Von Doom View Post
    It was explicitly said that it was unknown whether Mother Mold would be sane, because it wasn't supposed to be powered on this early.

"It's too soon. You don't know that it's going to be sane."

He's clearly talking about "the life after this one," a.k.a., the afterlife. Nightcrawler's a Christian, and with them about to go to their deaths, Wolverine's asking him if he believes there's anything beyond this life. Which isn't an unreasonable thing to be thinking about when your death is imminent.

Wolverine: So... I gotta ask... You still think there's something waiting for us on the other side?
    Nightcrawler: Worried about your soul, Logan?
    Wolverine: Just wonderin' what someone like me should expect.
    Nightcrawler: When you wake from this earthly slumber, my friend, look for me. I will be there, waiting for you... radiant and with open arms.

Looking at the actual comic, he didn't even actually say anything about "the next life," he was asking about "the other side," the meaning of which is obvious from the context.

From some of the comments I've seen in these threads, it seems that people are so caught up in whatever theories they've concocted that they try to read it into whatever they see (looking for confirmation) and miss what's actually there.
    Honestly I understand that this series has us questioning just about everything at this point...but I can’t see how anyone could have any theory about that particular Nightcrawler Wolverine moment. It seemed blatantly obvious that They we’re talking about the “afterlife/heaven”. Lol this series has people
    really losing their minds.

Astonishing Member Tazpocalapse's Avatar

Good issue didn't grab me as much as i thought, probably because i wasn't expecting the X-men to suffer so many loses destroying Nimrod. This looks like this causes a small shift in the direction of the X-men in how they deal with major threats. I understand taking a small team better suited for specialty situations is a good choice to minimize casualties of both sides, but the cost was big. Most of these deaths will be reversed somehow. I suspect Krakoa pods or Sinister being a factor. Omega Sentinel taking down Cyke killed my hope that she was a double agent working for the X-men.