Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kai "the spy" View Post
    Well, you could make an argument for Thor, but Godzilla is neither public domain, nor guest-starring.
    Hmmm! Methinks I goofed that up! I'll have to come up with something else! To any mods out there, could you please delete my original post? Thanks!
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 09-05-2019 at 07:52 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Actually Zorro is public domain and can not be trademarked as it does not create an association with a certain product or service with the general public as Mickey does with the House of Mouse (Disney) says a Federal District Court in California in Cabell v. Zorro Productions, Inc
    Wow, that's a pretty tremendous blow to ZPI, and over a musical no less, LOL!
    Although to be honest ZPI haven't always been the greatest shepherds of the Zorro franchise.
    License to Fairbanks (who pretty much invented the Action Hero film genera, and greatly influenced Comic book Heroes) , the great republic Movie serials that inspired Lucas and Spielberg, the Power's and Disney versions are great and were all licensed with McCulley still alive.

Love this Disney publicity shot of McCulley and Guy Williams, like he's going- "I can totally play this guy..."

There was also some dubious material until the Spielberg's Amblin initiated Mask of Zorro.
    The truth is during all that, other than Mark(Curse of Capistrano) the actual McCulley pulp stories remained out of print and nearly impossible to find for decades.
    Not sure how/if ZPI were responsible for that?
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-05-2019 at 07:59 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by icctrombone View Post
    ChadH beat you to this cover.
    Sorry, I should have made it clear that this post was a reply to ChadH's entry immediately above, rather than an entry. (I had posted my own entry back at #12.)

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post

Wow, that's a pretty tremendous blow to ZPI, and over a musical no less, LOL!
    Although to be honest ZPI haven't always been the greatest shepherds of the Zorro franchise.
    License to Fairbanks (who pretty much invented the Action Hero film genera, and greatly influenced Comic book Heroes) , the great republic Movie serials that inspired Lucas and Spielberg, the Power's and Disney versions are great and were all licensed with McCulley still alive.

There was also some dubious material until the Spielberg's Amblin initiated Mask of Zorro.
    The truth is during all that, other than Mark(Curse of Capistrano) the actual McCulley pulp stories remained out of print and nearly impossible to find for decades.
    Not sure how/if ZPI were responsible for that?
    Intellectual propriety can become legal quicksand.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    ...because Shakespeare...
    This cover never fails to get a chuckle out of me.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Incredible Member

Charlton's Gunmaster meets real-life public-domain heroes Wyatt Earp and Annie Oakley, by Dick Giordano. When the Wyatt Earp TV show was popular in the 1950s, Dell had the license to adapt it for comics. Charlton and Atlas (i.e. Marvel) took advantage of Wyatt's public-domain status and published their own Wyatt Earp comics which were careful to make Wyatt NOT look like the star of the TV show, Hugh O'Brian. So fans had three different Wyatt Earp comic books to choose from. When the show's popularity waned, the newest popular Western show was "Rawhide". So Marvel cancelled their Wyatt Earp series and replaced it with a revival of their old title Rawhide Kid in order to take advantage of the show's popularity without paying to license it.

--
    The discussion forum for fans of 20th-century comics: http://classiccomics.org

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    LOL! OK that's hysterical! And somehow makes so much sense.

Anyone curious the US version is Adventure Comics #226

Astonishing Member

How do they know he looks like Peter Pan? Disney has the trademark on what Peter Pan looks like, and it's not that!

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    How do they know he looks like Peter Pan? Disney has the trademark on what Peter Pan looks like, and it's not that!
    Joking aside, since you answered your own question.
    Disney only trademarks their Peter-Pan look.
    Hence precisely why DC's (or anyone else's) wouldn't look like Disney's.
    And must be more a generic (public domain) representation of the character as seen above.
    As to the characters and why they recognize him, cause (unlike the real world) they've looked at versions other than Disney's
    Last edited by Güicho; 09-06-2019 at 06:21 AM.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Force League Unlimited View Post
    In color! Ha! I don't believe I have seen that before on a comic book. I feel like a little kid again watching an old TV program from the late '60s (The Mod Squad - In Color!)
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    In color! Ha! I don't believe I have seen that before on a comic book. I feel like a little kid again watching an old TV program from the late '60s (The Mod Squad - In Color!)

Juliet

Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    The U.S. version makes no boast about being in color. But it was Approved by the Comics Code Authority, which was clearly more important!

Quote Originally Posted by seismic-2 View Post
    The U.S. version makes no boast about being in color. But it was Approved by the Comics Code Authority, which was clearly more important!

Most UK reprints of US material were in black and white, so in color was a big deal. Most US comics were assumed to be in color, so no announcement necessary.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato