Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It seemed like they were trying to push her more with Rebirth, but that petered out.

She's still a primary character on DC Super Hero Girls.
    And Teen Titans Go! this summer.

Personally I agree as to her untapped potential. I use her in team builds over the wasp whenever possible as I like her look and persona better.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    I think spinoffs of Superman and Batman are kinda exceptions. Supergirl, Harley, the Joker, etc..
    Not to defend her, but she's a spin-off that really has spun out from under the main brand. She's not a bat-character by identification or iconography. She's even been distancing herself from the Joker to become something else entirely - she's more rollerderby or EDM than clown these days. Her main franchise now is Suicide Squad - or Birds of Prey, neither of which are really beholden to the Bat (and yes, it's Barbara Gordon, but she was Oracle when BoP was established, so that's one step removed already) So, I would say just the fact that she can stand apart from where she came from qualifies her, but that's just imo.

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

It seemed like they were trying to push her more with Rebirth, but that petered out.

Yeah, I liked how Titans 2016 was one of her more relatively extensive runs, though I recall she only barely appeared in half of the total number of issues in that run. Hope she features more often in later runs.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Even before Rebirth they started giving her a push when they made her a member of the Doom Patrol in the Giffen series.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Her main franchise now is Suicide Squad - or Birds of Prey, neither of which are really beholden to the Bat (and yes, it's Barbara Gordon, but she was Oracle when BoP was established, so that's one step removed already)
    Birds of Prey was still quite connected to the Bat, at least in the beginning.
    The series was set in Gotham for a long time, two of the three most iconic members (Barbara and Helena) are Batchracters, you had often Guest Appearances of Batcharcters (especially Nightwing) and the book was iirc even part of a few bigger Batman events.

Btw. Suicide Squad has also become dominated by Batman Villains. For example all the characters on the cover they have shown for Tylors upcoming run except King Shark and maybe Magpie are Batmanvillains.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    The series was set in Gotham for a long time, two of the three most iconic members (Barbara and Helena) are Batchracters, you had often Guest Appearances of Batcharcters (especially Nightwing) and the book was iirc even part of a few bigger Batman events.

Btw. Suicide Squad has also become dominated by Batman Villains. For example all the characters on the cover they have shown for Tylors upcoming run except King Shark and maybe Magpie are Batmanvillains.
    Speaking of which, I get the feeling that Black Canary has been so closely associated with the Justice League, Birds of Prey, and Green Arrow, that I wonder how much willingness there is to have her in her own solo series at this point, as opposed to at best being co-star. Her 2015 series didn’t last too long I recall.

Retired

Hasbro and DC/WB were in a legal dispute over the Bumblebee trademark, but they came to a settlement now that allows both companies to use the name. And the Super Hero Girls brand, which the female Bumblebee is a part of, has been going strong. So it seems like there's a clear path ahead for Karen Beecher in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    Hasbro and DC/WB were in a legal dispute over the Bumblebee trademark, but they came to a settlement now that allows both companies to use the name. And the Super Hero Girls brand, which the female Bumblebee is a part of, has been going strong. So it seems like there's a clear path ahead for Karen Beecher in the future.
    Well that’s good to know.

I’m about tired of legal disputes involving characters I like.

I wonder if some super-hero names have been used so often by different characters that they've been worn out--like Manhunter, Guardian, Starman, Ghost.
    Also the cases for back in the day, but not quite as much anymore:

Doctor Nemesis

Doctor Mid-Nite

Doctor Hormone

Doctor Fate

Doctor Occult

Doctor Thomas Hugo Strange

Doctor Solar

Doctor Strange

Doctor Manhattan

The Phantom

Phantom Eagle

Phantom Stranger

Phantom Lady

Blonde Phantom

Phantom Reporter

Phantom Magician

Green Lantern

Green Mask

Green Hornet

Green Arrow

Green Lama

Green Turtle
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 09-13-2019 at 07:00 PM.

Fantastic Member MarkRodriguez09's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post

Magpie is a Batman villain and also, holy ****, she came back?!
    Check out my blog for Comic Reviews and other things. https://markepicblogofrandomness.blogspot.com/
    I also started The AEW Crew, the All Elite Wrestling Fan Club! https://www.facebook.com/groups/637508120044168/

Retired

I think of Magpie as one of those DC characters that's secretly Canadian. John Byrne created her and I was living in Alberta at the time when she first debuted and there are a lot of magpies in Alberta. Byrne grew up in Canada and was living in Alberta--don't know if he was still there when he created Magpie--so I'm sure the great number of magpies influenced him. Having grown up in Vancouver, where there are no magpies, it seemed to me they must be the equivalent of crows for Albertans.

I think of Magpie as one of those DC characters that's secretly Canadian. John Byrne created her and I was living in Alberta at the time when she first debuted and there are a lot of magpies in Alberta. Byrne grew up in Canada and was living in Alberta--don't know if he was still there when he created Magpie--so I'm sure the great number of magpies influenced him. Having grown up in Vancouver, where there are no magpies, it seemed to me they must be the equivalent of crows for Albertans.
    I liked Magpie when she first debuted. I thought she was going to bounce between Superman and Batman, as a recurring villain.
    Simpler times.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Harper Row.
    I like The Narrows as a subsection of Gotham that’s just sort of slipping from Batman’s grip. Bluebird is a great addition to the bat family that brings first hand experience from a bad neighborhood.

Hey Baby--Wha's Happ'nin? HandofPrometheus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Even before Rebirth they started giving her a push when they made her a member of the Doom Patrol in the Giffen series.
    I wouldn't even consider that a push. She was barely in it.

I like The Narrows as a subsection of Gotham that’s just sort of slipping from Batman’s grip.
    I like the Narrows only in Bludhaven. I'm also not sure I'm happy with the increasingly cess-pit nature of Gotham. As it's gotten retconned worse, some prior stories make less sense (including Thomas and Martha's death, which made more sense when they were attending theater in a better part of town that went down hill after they died). But also, because it makes Batman's quest a futile one - things keep getting worse, even with more and more people on the job. I don't like that, and instead like the idea of real improvement over time since he donned the cowl.