Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Characters you like, think were given opportunity, but just didn't break out

This thread is prompted by another thread (well, several) where posters complain that their character (or group of characters) just didn't get a push by DC - didn't get promoted (crossed over in other books, etc.) and really would have been a top-ten player if only DC had marketed them better.

On the other hand, we have "creator's pet" type threads where everyone complains about a character being overused and such - when they don't like the character.

So what I'm looking for here is people who think the character they liked was well-written, given opportunities to guest in other books (be exposed to other audiences), but still somehow just failed to capture a wider audience. One where you acknowledge that DC didn't screw up - they gave the character opportunities - but it just didn't translate into major popularity or sales.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 09-04-2019 at 06:24 AM.

I think Nelson Jent and Roxie Hodder of China Miéville's Dial H fit the description. Both good characters in a good series, but just a bit too weird (while also being too normal, if that makes sense) and complicated to catch on with a bigger crowd. They had a crossover with The Flash and a bit of promotion with the #0 and Villain's Month special issues, but they were never really built for being a working part of the DCU going forward.
    As of now:
    All-Star Batman, Batman, Doom Patrol, The Flash, The Fix, The Flintstones, Green Valley, Hadrian's Wall, The Hellblazer, Moonshine, New Super-Man, Suicide Squad, Superman, 'Tec, Unfollow

Harper Row.

Extraordinary Member

I think Huntress fits. None of here solo books has been bad, she had guest appearances in several Batfamily books, and was team member of the BoP and the JL during popular runs.

But she has never really been successful on her own.

You could maybe make a similar case for Black Canary unless you count the pre flashpoint BoP as her break out (and I think her last solo might have been to far of from her usual portrait).

Zachary Zatara. I will never not be disappointed in how underutilized he was Pre-Flashpoint (especially once Kid Devil died) and how almost non-existent he is now. I would read the hell out of a solo series or magic themed team book that starred him.

Another more recent character, would be Maya Ducard. I honestly thought she'd end up being part of the Batfamily after she basically became Damian's only friend (a title that, like Colin, would be taken from her. This time by Jon. Because, for whatever reason, Damian is only allowed to have one best friend). Instead she's a pretty interesting character, in her own right, who was stuck in limbo, then as a minor character in a Superman book, of all things, and now back in limbo. I still think she would have made a better choice than Emiko for Damian's Titans. Someone he already knew and trusted. Somebody who's past was just as checkered as his and would probably understand where he's coming from, while also being the one to call him out when he's going too far.

Hell, if she can't be on Titans then at least put her on the Outlaws or the Outsiders. Or even Birds of Prey. Maybe give her a chance to form relationships with other heroes.
    Last edited by Blue22; 09-04-2019 at 07:35 AM.

Firestorm has had several series and relaunches, (let's take him into a totally new and different direction - no? We'll try the classic version again - no? okay...) is almost always around in the mix, and has appeared in other media, but aside from his die-hard fans he seems to never jump above a certain level and then ends up getting nerfed or drops into limbo.

Retired

One of my favourite characters: Hourman, the android version, sometimes called Tyler. He came out of the popular One Million comics event. He was a member of the JSA when they got their new series. He starred in his own absolutley great comic book, HOURMAN, with stupendous art by Rags Morales and highly imaginative story-telling from Tom Peyer. Yet for all that, he's been consigned to the dustbin of futuristic comics history. He just never caught on with mainstream comics audiences.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    One of my favourite characters: Hourman, the android version, sometimes called Tyler. He came out of the popular One Million comics event. He was a member of the JSA when they got their new series. He starred in his own absolutley great comic book, HOURMAN, with stupendous art by Rags Morales and highly imaginative story-telling from Tom Peyer. Yet for all that, he's been consigned to the dustbin of futuristic comics history. He just never caught on with mainstream comics audiences.
    Loved him in JSA. I can't remember if it was Johns or Goyer who said they didn't know how to write for him so they wrote him out of the book. I think Johns was much more interested in Rick Tyler, who to me was as dull as dirt. I much preferred the android version.

Tanya, the Earth 0 Power Girl. I get that she had a rough start in Teen Titans, but Priest made her one of my favorite characters in his Deathstroke run. I would love for her to come back and be a full member of the Teen Titans or the Superfamily.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Zachary Zatara. I will never not be disappointed in how underutilized he was Pre-Flashpoint (especially once Kid Devil died) and how almost non-existent he is now. I would read the hell out of a solo series or magic themed team book that starred him.

Another more recent character, would be Maya Ducard. I honestly thought she'd end up being part of the Batfamily after she basically became Damian's only friend (a title that, like Colin, would be taken from her. This time by Jon. Because, for whatever reason, Damian is only allowed to have one best friend). Instead she's a pretty interesting character, in her own right, who was stuck in limbo, then as a minor character in a Superman book, of all things, and now back in limbo. I still think she would have made a better choice than Emiko for Damian's Titans. Someone he already knew and trusted. Somebody who's past was just as checkered as his and would probably understand where he's coming from, while also being the one to call him out when he's going too far.

Hell, if she can't be on Titans then at least put her on the Outlaws or the Outsiders. Or even Birds of Prey. Maybe give her a chance to form relationships with other heroes.
    I really which Nobody, Beacon, Robin and Superboy had been allowed to share a book together. Would have been brilliant.

Spectacular Member

Bulleteer. I loved her looks, origin, the humor in her solo issues, and her parts within the greater Seven Soldiers story. Seems like she was getting a little exposure afterwards, but I guess she never got that interest factor to keep her going. Now I'm just grateful she still makes appearances in the ReBirth universe and hoping a writer doesn't have her simply killed off as part of some big crossover event.

Retired

The problem with Zachary is it's not as easy to say backwards as Arataz and Annataz.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

This x1000, loved this whole series and felt it a sign of poor creativity that he was ditched because "x writer" just couldn't figure our how to use him. To me that is code for "I'd rather just use 'x' who I have put thought into".

I want to say Connor Hawke as Green Arrow. I know he was the lead for 2-3 yrs but was just abruptly abandoned.
    Same is/was true for John Paul Valley the original Azreal but after a few pretenders seems to be back.
    I've always felt Ragman deserved more opportunities.
    Original Aztek should be brought back, this new version hasn't impressed me of the little I saw recently.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

He's definitely one of those characters that fall into the "middle child syndrome" of legacy characters. They're almost never given another chance over a new iteration or the original.

I want to say Connor Hawke as Green Arrow. I know he was the lead for 2-3 yrs but was just abruptly abandoned.
    How were sales then - up, down, or flat? That's a big thing I was going for on this thread - characters who were given a chance, but didn't achieve the numbers needed to keep them as leads. Either in a run like this one or a mini or two that just didn't bring in the $$$ that would make giving them a regular title a good business decision. The idea being a real effort was made, but the character didn't just didn't gain sufficient audience to make them that big.

Another thing with this, though, is that it's much easier to nail down with those who were created for solo work. I mean, like Cyborg for example - he wasn't created to be a solo hero, that wasn't him being neglected, but rather him filling a different niche. Of course, team heroes can become solo heroes. But not promoting a team character as a solo character isn't necessarily failing the character, IMO. Then there's the difference between promoting an old hero or a new one. It's again, much easier to evaluate treatment of a new one. Old ones have history. And with a brand new push - if it's a new direction - there's a big risk of alienating old fans (especially if remaking the character into something very different). It's more difficult, for me, to say whether those decisions are doing well or poorly by said character.