Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I’d almost argue that Vic Sage belongs here- Sure he has appearances in other books but he’s only had one run that would be classed as “Breakout.”
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    How were sales then - up, down, or flat?
    For Connor Hawkes run at Green Arrow it is hard to say, since you can't really get data for what Ollie sold before.

Sales for his 2006 mini series were pretty weak first issue sold roughly 23K the last 13K.

Kenan Kong and the Justice league of china. Kenan had a cool concept, cool powers, and the book featured the only Batman I liked, but the book tanked, and now that Jon's a teenager and Connor's back I'll probably never see him again.

There's also Khalid Nassour's Dr. Fate. I loved his book, it was like a more mature Ms. Marvel. He did appear in Justice League Dark though. I'll miss Hoodie fate.

Boisterously Confused

Booster Gold, as originally conceived. I always viewed him as a brilliant commentary on the US obsession with wealth and fame. It just didn't go with the readers. Then Giffen turned him into 1/2 of a comedy act, and he's never been the same since.

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    Booster Gold, as originally conceived. I always viewed him as a brilliant commentary on the US obsession with wealth and fame. It just didn't go with the readers. Then Giffen turned him into 1/2 of a comedy act, and he's never been the same since.
    Sort of how I feel about Ted. I read both 1980s titles. I much preferred Blue Beetle, I admit, and am sorry he didn't work out and ended up a comedy act (which I do think diminished the characters a lot - not because they funny, but because they lost IQ points and competence to make them funny). I really liked that version of Ted.

Booster was okay too, but his supporting cast wasn't as good to me (plus it felt like more page-time was spent on villains, but I've never actually compared to see if that is reality and I just am bored by villains). I've read about the idea of Booster as originally conceived (working at Superman museum and thinking Superman a chump), but I guess he was softened a bit, since he really did care about being a good in his comic. Just also cared about wealth and fame. But for me, he was always going to have to grow, or else he'd end up both unlikable and one-note. I noticed that his backstory seems to have cast him as increasingly less culpable, too, which I don't think was a good call (there may well be other versions, but these are the only ones I read). It's interesting to think what direction the character would have gone if the comic had been more successful. I think the 1000 was interesting. Not sure when the comic took a downturn to me - probably either during or right after the trip to the future.

I loved Harper Row, I know everyone hates new characters for taking up spots from their favorites but that's not their fault. They're just drawings, the fault lies with writers and editor's.
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Cyborg.

Jason Todd as Robin.

From the get go, he was at a disadvantage. And the one writer hated him so much, he wanted to give Jason AIDS. To say nothing of the victim blaming that came after his death.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Jason Todd as Robin.

From the get go, he was at a disadvantage. And the one writer hated him so much, he wanted to give Jason AIDS. To say nothing of the victim blaming that came after his death.
    I don't think he really got the "Opportunity" post crisis.

The only solo story he got was back up in an Annual, and appart from his origin story and DitF there aren't really many stories that give him a lot of focus.

Retired

There was a time there where Artemis was like Wonder Woman's Guy Gardner and could have gone on to have her own book (she did get a mini), but circumstances worked against her. I guess she's still relevant, but not the leading character she once was. Given she did become Wonder Woman for awhile and she was popular with readers, it seems like maybe DC didn't want her to succeed. The fate of many a ginger in comic books--stabbed in the back.

Extraordinary Member

Crimson Fox from Justice League Europe - great backstory with identical twins Vivian and Constance taking turns being the hero. The sisters ran a major perfume company (which may perhaps explain the origin of their pheromone powers). In order to hide suspicions of Crimson Fox's identity, they faked Constance's death, so that one of them could operate as the hero while the other attended business functions. Readers could easily tell the difference between the two due to Vivian's more pronounced French accent.

Giffen and DeMatteis seemed to be the only writers who knew what to do with her.

Last edited by caj; 09-05-2019 at 02:02 PM.

BANNED

Val-Zod was definitely a miss for me i liked the extremely peaceful black Superman lol

The Others or more in specific their relics lol.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

For me, it's Jaime Reyes.

Didio was pushing for diversity back then (yeah, it was a thing) and everyone involved just made a pure gem out of that book. The character is great (imagine Peter Parker, Miles Morales, Iron Man and Wally West all rolled into one), and even when sales failed to meet expectations (probably in protest to what happened to Ted Kord), Didio still kept it in print for about ten issues.

They made 2 further comic attemp´ts with him, put him in Teen Titans, several animated shows and yet.... It didn't take,
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

For me, it's Jaime Reyes.

Didio was pushing for diversity back then (yeah, it was a thing) and everyone involved just made a pure gem out of that book.
    The first storyline is fantastic. After switching to a new writer (issue 26?), it definitely lost some steam. It wasn't bad, but not as good as before. Though I do think that's a fairly common thing to happen in new media, regardless of writer - arcs are planned instead of just episodics, and that first arc is fantastic. But it can't really be topped, and subsequent stories (like season 2 of a tv show) just isn't as good. Good choice, though - he had his own comic and he was on the Teen Titans and so on, but just didn't flourish.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 09-05-2019 at 03:24 PM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The nu52 Vibe. They gave him his own series (which was really good) and put him on Justice League team. The main problem was that Justice League book was trainwreck from pretty much day one and people didn't give his solo a shot. Maybe he just got lost in the ever changing "long term plans" that DC seems to have such a massive problem with these days, but as a character the revamped Vibe is pretty great and has a lot of untapped potential.