Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think the idea was to relegate her to a cameo any more then Johns re-did Plastic Man's origin in Forever Evil without any plan to follow up on it, but they probably just wanted to connect the two Dr. Light's together and build from there.

But much like most of the New 52, it didn't end up going anywhere.
    it's not to say that they did it intentionally, I agree they probably just wanted to find a way to connect the two. it was just a weird choice (imo) but their intention aside, the end result is still the same because of the lack of follow-up. that's not to say I wanted them to follow it up, honestly I rather they pull a Wally/Wallace and introduce a different Kimiyo to become Dr. Light, but the lack of follow-up left/leaves a fascinating character by the waysid
    Last edited by lemonpeace; 09-09-2019 at 12:52 PM.
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

I sort of liked the idea of Kimiyo and Arthur being married. That's a different kind of dynamic than we usually see and I think there's a lot of potential there, even if the New52 dropped the ball. Imagine it; you've got a wife and husband duo who share the same powers and costume (and since both have doctorates, the same name), and then the husband goes insane and becomes a villain, prompting the wife to try and save him even as she's trying to stop him, and resenting him for dragging their good name through the mud.

There's a lot to work with there, and a lot we don't often see in superhero comics.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Retired

I'm so disappointed that non-super-hero comics haven't been able to break through at DC in recent years. There is so much else that can be done with the comic book form. It's sad to see DC stuck with just super-heroes as its main product; they used to offer so much more than this.

I liked Kurt Busieck's Power Company. Good solid characters (for the most part), but it never caught on for some reason.
    Sandy Hausler
    DC Boards Moderator (along with The Darknight Detective (who has a much cooler name that I do))
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ Know them. Follow them. Love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm so disappointed that non-super-hero comics haven't been able to break through at DC in recent years. There is so much else that can be done with the comic book form. It's sad to see DC stuck with just super-heroes as its main product; they used to offer so much more than this.
    Very true. I hate that DC is stuck with this one genre and haven't been able to break into new (old) ground. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to go to Image for my non-capes comics, but when DC does other stuff, they very (not always but often) often do it very well.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

Kate Spencer's been mentioned a couple of times already, but I'd agree she's been given a couple of fair shakes by now. Hopefully she'll gain a better foothold in the public consciousness after Event Leviathan, but who knows? I appreciate DC continuing to try at least, though.

Katana's another favorite of mine that never seems to catch on. She got a big push when The New 52 launched, getting her own solo series and spots on Birds of Prey, Justice League of America, and later Suicide Squad. Around that same time frame, she appeared on Beware the Batman in a fairly prominent role, got a surprise spot in the Suicide Squad film, a glorified cameo in a couple of episodes of Arrow, and she's of course one of the main players in The Outsiders. Despite all that, though, and a pretty cool hook and look, she just never seems to catch on with the general public.

That said, I think a truly great solo series would go a long way for her. Ann Nocenti was clearly not the writer to take Tatsu to new heights. Personally, I think Greg Ruck would do wonders for the character, but it's anyone's guess if he has any interest in actually writing her.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by TheNewFiftyForum View Post
    Nelson Jent
    I feel like part of this might be the possible confusion with Nelson, Kent.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Very true. I hate that DC is stuck with this one genre and haven't been able to break into new (old) ground. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to go to Image for my non-capes comics, but when DC does other stuff, they very (not always but often) often do it very well.
    That falls on fans and comic book stores. If DC is NOT allowed to branch out because certain segments of fandom feel only certain books should be exist under the DC banner.

While they struggle-they seem to have their act together unlike MANY of the super hero books.

They don't have fanbase wars. No one is throwing fits about the premise. No one throws a fit about the lead's race or sexual orientation.

After Shock's Relay could easily fit under Young Animal line.
    Rivers of London doing a crossover with Detective Chimp or Plastic Man would work.
    Image's Bitter Root could have a field day with DC's Horror Universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Energist View Post
    Kate Spencer's been mentioned a couple of times already, but I'd agree she's been given a couple of fair shakes by now. Hopefully she'll gain a better foothold in the public consciousness after Event Leviathan, but who knows? I appreciate DC continuing to try at least, though.

Katana's another favorite of mine that never seems to catch on. She got a big push when The New 52 launched, getting her own solo series and spots on Birds of Prey, Justice League of America, and later Suicide Squad. Around that same time frame, she appeared on Beware the Batman in a fairly prominent role, got a surprise spot in the Suicide Squad film, a glorified cameo in a couple of episodes of Arrow, and she's of course one of the main players in The Outsiders. Despite all that, though, and a pretty cool hook and look, she just never seems to catch on with the general public.

That said, I think a truly great solo series would go a long way for her. Ann Nocenti was clearly not the writer to take Tatsu to new heights. Personally, I think Greg Ruck would do wonders for the character, but it's anyone's guess if he has any interest in actually writing her.
    Kate actually popped up in Green Arrow Rebirth first, and as Ollie's lawyer at the time. She took up his case so she would be set, not only for herself, but her kid.

Which makes me wonder where her kid is at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    I liked Kurt Busieck's Power Company. Good solid characters (for the most part), but it never caught on for some reason.
    Good choice.

I think the book was actually hitting a kind of stride right when the cancelled it...

Aren't there some rights issues regarding the Power Company characters?

Not that i’ve Ever heard of.

I know Witchfire’s appeared in different books since the comic ended.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Aren't there some rights issues regarding the Power Company characters?
    Kirk DePaul got decapitated to free up Manhunters name.

Well that’s harsh...!

Time to liver forever! Energist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Kate actually popped up in Green Arrow Rebirth first, and as Ollie's lawyer at the time. She took up his case so she would be set, not only for herself, but her kid.

Which makes me wonder where her kid is at the moment.
    Yeah. I was actually reading Green Arrow--a character I can't otherwise stand--at that time just for Kate. I got bored with it, though, and ended up dropping it after about 10 issues or so. She was in Gotham by Midnight before that in a similarly less interesting fashion.

Was thrilled when Bendis announced he was bringing her back properly as Manhunter for Event Leviathan. Really hoping another Andreyko-penned solo series spins out of it.
    "Forgiving the unrepentant is like drawing pictures on water." - Japanese Proverb