Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Going insane trying to decide which format to collect in

Sometimes i start to collect series in regular TPBs but then later they come out with a hardcover so i sell the TPBs and get the hardcover then later they come out with the big complete collection TPBs which i love so i get those and then even later there might be a Omnibus. Since i kept buying and selling the same stories over and over again i now started to keep the series i love in multiple formats but that is just a giant waste of space and money but if i sell one of the formats i know i will regret it later. For example i have Kurt Busiek and George Perez Avengers in floppys, in oversized hardcovers, in TPBs and in Omnibus and that's just one out of many examples and now i am running out of space. I mean there is more spcae but i don't wanna use more for this hobby in our house but i just can't decide. I like the trades for readabilty but i like the Omnibi for the bigger art and the better paper quality.

OHC are my favorite personally. They win out on presentation and oversized art. And are easier to handle than an Omni.

Trades are cheapest, and Ultimate Collections are good for content. But if you dont mind splurging for presentation then OHC's and Omni's are the way to go.

Well, to me comics are ment to be read.
    So Oversized Hardcovers is not a good format at all.
    Soft Cover omnibus or hardcover small omnibus are perfect to collect, keep and read.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

After several years of collecting floppies, TPBs, PHCs, OHCs, Absolutes and Omnibuses there can be only one - The Omnibus.

I find I tend to go with the omnibus for older/completed stuff (if available), but if a book is unfinished/not fully collected I do the over-sized HC's. I didn't want to wait for the eventual Paper Girls omni, for instance, so I bought the first two HC's and am eagerly awaiting the third.

This does lead to a guessing game, though. Do I buy V1 and V2 of The Green Lantern, or hope that we get a deluxe featuring #1-12?

Look ahead as to what's coming out.You can decide what you're really interested in and go from there..
    DC,I need Bronze Age Batman,Green Lantern,and Flash collected.Please,and thank you.

Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar

For me I want the Best representation of the art in a not too large/heavy book. In uniform format for that series.
    So ideally 250-450 oversized pages on not too glosse paper (my comics are mostly pre 1987).

Until Marvel starts such a collection consistently, I buy epics.