Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Going insane trying to decide which format to collect in

Sometimes i start to collect series in regular TPBs but then later they come out with a hardcover so i sell the TPBs and get the hardcover then later they come out with the big complete collection TPBs which i love so i get those and then even later there might be a Omnibus. Since i kept buying and selling the same stories over and over again i now started to keep the series i love in multiple formats but that is just a giant waste of space and money but if i sell one of the formats i know i will regret it later. For example i have Kurt Busiek and George Perez Avengers in floppys, in oversized hardcovers, in TPBs and in Omnibus and that's just one out of many examples and now i am running out of space. I mean there is more spcae but i don't wanna use more for this hobby in our house but i just can't decide. I like the trades for readabilty but i like the Omnibi for the bigger art and the better paper quality.

OHC are my favorite personally. They win out on presentation and oversized art. And are easier to handle than an Omni.

Trades are cheapest, and Ultimate Collections are good for content. But if you dont mind splurging for presentation then OHC's and Omni's are the way to go.

Well, to me comics are ment to be read.
    So Oversized Hardcovers is not a good format at all.
    Soft Cover omnibus or hardcover small omnibus are perfect to collect, keep and read.

Extraordinary Member Raffi Ol D'Arcy's Avatar

After several years of collecting floppies, TPBs, PHCs, OHCs, Absolutes and Omnibuses there can be only one - The Omnibus.

I find I tend to go with the omnibus for older/completed stuff (if available), but if a book is unfinished/not fully collected I do the over-sized HC's. I didn't want to wait for the eventual Paper Girls omni, for instance, so I bought the first two HC's and am eagerly awaiting the third.

This does lead to a guessing game, though. Do I buy V1 and V2 of The Green Lantern, or hope that we get a deluxe featuring #1-12?

Look ahead as to what's coming out.You can decide what you're really interested in and go from there..
    DC,I need Bronze Age Batman,Green Lantern,and Flash collected.Please,and thank you.

Amazing Member Henrik K. Kristensen's Avatar

For me I want the Best representation of the art in a not too large/heavy book. In uniform format for that series.
    So ideally 250-450 oversized pages on not too glosse paper (my comics are mostly pre 1987).

Until Marvel starts such a collection consistently, I buy epics.

I buy what ever works for me in that moment.
    Prefer omnibuses for main character and runs
    Likes, but realized if I wanted to read many
    Runs more quicker and/or keep costs realistic
    I would (and do) also buy other hard covers
    And different forms of trades.
    On one hand I love the visuals of an omnibus
    While reading, but find a small trade more
    Easy and comfortable, while also being more
    Representative of a floppy reading experience.

Buy what works

Incredible Member

I tend to stick to Tpb's and only splurge on the Hardcover version if: A) I like the character, or B) I hear raves about the story.

Most other times I've gotten a few Omnibus if I like the artist or it's a collection of a complete run that doens't require me to buy any more volumes.

For sentimental reason I've still kept single issues due to: A) my favorite character, and B) just because.

But I'm really happy to gotten rid of most post 2000 comics that had either bad artwork or bad story overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace Dolex View Post
    I tend to stick to Tpb's and only splurge on the Hardcover version if: A) I like the character, or B) I hear raves about the story.

Most other times I've gotten a few Omnibus if I like the artist or it's a collection of a complete run that doens't require me to buy any more volumes.

For sentimental reason I've still kept single issues due to: A) my favorite character, and B) just because.

But I'm really happy to gotten rid of most post 2000 comics that had either bad artwork or bad story overall.
    Me too! TPB are cheaper and take less shelf space. Buying less means been able to have more books for the same price, and less shelf space means putting more books in the bookcase. It's a win-win option for me.

I'll only buy Hard Cover books if it's the only option, like the B.P.R.D. (it takes forever to be re-released in TPB) or for Omnibus that collects huge series not yet available in TPB.

Quote Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
    Me too! TPB are cheaper and take less shelf space. Buying less means been able to have more books for the same price, and less shelf space means putting more books in the bookcase. It's a win-win option for me.

I'll only buy Hard Cover books if it's the only option, like the B.P.R.D. (it takes forever to be re-released in TPB) or for Omnibus that collects huge series not yet available in TPB.
    You're a bit wrong. It depends on the publisher.

Also when you say tpb, you've got to say that there are 2 type of tpb books
    1. the first one is the small size that collects 1 story
    2. the second one is wider books collecting arcs or part of runs.

What you also have to say, is that sometime the wide soft cover books are also called omnibus (like the current Hellboy omnibuses).

To be clear for everyone then, the softcover omnibus (as I call them) are always the best choice.
    They are cheaper than the Hardcover Omnibus, cheaper than the small tpb books and cheaper than all the stories in singles.
    They are also friendly to read and to carry not like the Big omnibus.

As for you buying the Hard Cover books because you can't wait for the soft ones is a bit stupid.
    Because all big series end up by having softcover omnibuses one day, you just have to wait and buy other series in the meantime.

Wow, that was harsh! So I'm a bit wrong and stupid. Thank you sir.

Quote Originally Posted by Morsoth View Post
    Wow, that was harsh! So I'm a bit wrong and stupid. Thank you sir.
    Well, I wasn't really "harsh". And you're only "a bit" stupid. But aren't we all "a bit" stupid ?

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Omnibus: The superior format, though I do admit anything over 1200 pgs starts to be a bit much and should've been two smaller Omni's.

I sampled Absolutes and Library Editions, still have those I bought but it is not a format I'm likely to revisit. Passed on Goon cause of that.
    Epics - bigger floppy that is just got a slightly longer shelf life and nicer spine to read.
    TPBs - the durability just isn't there and spines harder to read on shelf.

I haven't put the hard math to it but 90%+ of my collection is Omni.

I actively avoid double dipping. I tinkered with buy to show interest then flip but that got to be too much. Take the Flash by Waid trades recently as an example. I intentionally held out, now that the tpbs seem collected I'm hoping for a few Omni's.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

After reading and collecting for 8 years now, these are my thoughts:
    -Trade paperbacks are most affordable collected edition, but not worth buying if you plan on keeping the single issues. Gutter loss is a real problem for these collections of modern style full bleed printed comics. Almost every ongoing series is eventually collected in this format, so it's a cheaper alternative to reading monthly single issues. The trade paperback format also provides the best reading experience for classic reprint collections like the Marvel Epic line, the DC runs by certain creators, and the paperback "omnibus" collections like DC Golden Age Batman, Dark Horse Nexus, etc.

-Deluxe hardcover format (typically 6 to 12 issues worth) is the best format for collecting a miniseries or original graphic novel you really liked. The slightly oversized pages and typically better paper quality will really showcase the art and make for a nice presentation. The dust jacket or printed hardcover will add durability and look good on your bookshelf. Gutter loss is less of a problem usually, because the binding has to allow for more spreading.

-The hardcover omnibus editions are the best way to get probably the cheapest per-page collection of an old run, but they are the least enjoyable reading experience. They are often twice as thick as what's ideal (compare Dan Slott Silver Surfer omnibus do something like a Conan omnibus). They can have some very thin cheap paper. They can have poor binding. They are too expensive as a single purchase, often reaching $125 to $150, thus limiting your ability to collect a diverse range of titles. And if you've never read the material before, you make a huge gamble that you may not like the book after all. They are heavy and take up a lot of shelf space, so you need good quality shelves. Probably their best quality is that sometimes they may be the only way to find printed old stuff that has gone out of print, like the Timely Classics for Namor, etc.

-"Library editions" and very large format hardcover collections are highly susceptible to spine stress and sagging under the weight of their pages. They look beautiful, and I've only bought a handful for series I absolutely loved, but do not count on them keeping good condition for long.

So my recommendation is read monthly single issues or trade paperbacks for stuff you just want to be current on. Buy trade paperbacks also for Epics or other single creator/storyline runs (Mark Waid Flash, Simonson Thor). Buy hardcover or deluxe hardcover for OGNs or miniseries you want to keep on your shelf for many years. Buy omnibus hardcovers only for old, classic material you really really want physically but don't want to track down physical copies of (Fourth World, Timely Classics). Save up for the occasional library or oversized art book if you have the space and don't mind them getting banged up.