Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Default JLA/Avengers issue #1

ja0101.jpg
    My look at this Epic crossover event.

more Hulk and Spider-Man were needed. but at that time they were both considered "peripheral/fringe" ex-members.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    more Hulk and Spider-Man were needed. but at that time they were both considered "peripheral/fringe" ex-members.
    Spider-Man and Hulk were exactly what WEREN'T needed. This was about as perfect a cross-over as we're likely to get....ever. The classic Avengers were featured prominently, which is the way it should be. Shoe-horning in characters who had zero to do with the Avengers for pretty much their entire history just because they're popular was thankfully avoided.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    Wasn't Spidey only a reserve (from the 90s), and Hulk not on the team since way back in volume 1 issue 2? Spidey wasn't a full time Avenger until Bendis, and Hulk was only put back on the team at last when the movies came along, for synergy. Neither were members at the time, hence why they're not in the crossover.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

And let's not forget the one of the earliest times readers saw Marvel and DC hero imagery on the same page in an official comic (Thor #207, January 1973).

I definitely miss marvel vs dc cross overs. Most weren't great to be honest (JLA/Avengers was more the exception than the rule), but they were still fun.

Quote Originally Posted by stingray View Post
    Spider-Man and Hulk were exactly what WEREN'T needed. This was about as perfect a cross-over as we're likely to get....ever. The classic Avengers were featured prominently, which is the way it should be. Shoe-horning in characters who had zero to do with the Avengers for pretty much their entire history just because they're popular was thankfully avoided.
    I didn't miss the Hulk in this but... come on. He's a founding member. Saying hee had "zero to do with them" just feels weird.
    "̶l̶̶e̶̶t̶'̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶u̶̶n̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶e̶̶a̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶a̶̶n̶̶n̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶a̶̶k̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶i̶̶d̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶i̶̶s̶̶c̶̶o̶̶s̶̶t̶̶i̶̶c̶̶k̶̶"
    "Let's have some fun, this riff is sick. I wanna mosh around in the Circle Pit!"

Matt's Stuff [Blog]: Star Wars Visions: Ranked
    Matt Eduardson [YT]: Palpatine's Return - Dark Empire VS The Rise of Skywalker

My Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    I didn't miss the Hulk in this but... come on. He's a founding member. Saying hee had "zero to do with them" just feels weird.
    At this point Hulk had spent more panels beating up the Avengers as opposed to working with them.

As it should be.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matternativ View Post
    He was on the team for 2 issues. After that, his interactions with the Avengers were either as a Defender or as an outright villain. He was a founding member for about three minutes, so no, he didn't have much to do with the team at all. The JLA/Avengers focused on guys like Hawkeye, the Vision, and the Scarlet Witch, and rightly so. They were Avengers for literally hundreds of issues.

Spectacular Member

I didn't miss Spider Man and I was glad Hulk's involvement was peripheral. Just my two bucks.

Yeah. At the time, having Spider-Man prominently featured would have been weird.

Definitely a great little series. I liked some of the DC/Marvel crossovers of the mid/late-90s (GL/Silver Surfer, Batman/Captain America, Batman/Spider-Man were all fun) but this was definitely the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Yeah. At the time, having Spider-Man prominently featured would have been weird.

Definitely a great little series. I liked some of the DC/Marvel crossovers of the mid/late-90s (GL/Silver Surfer, Batman/Captain America, Batman/Spider-Man were all fun) but this was definitely the best.
    Those cross overs were often somewhat hit and miss. Galactus/Darkseid was pretty awesome... but the Marvel vs DC books had paper thin stories. But I picked up even the bad ones, because the novelty of marvel vs DC was always fun. I'd agree though that JLA/Avengers was probably the hands down best.

As for Spider-Man ... yeah, back then he was an Avengers for a cup of coffee. But because of the Bendis era he issue for issue has more time on the Avengers than a lot of the guys who are considered "classic" Avengers.

Wasn't Spidey only a reserve (from the 90s),
    Nope he was a full avenger by that point but was only a full avenger for three issues before rejoining as a reserve. Still he had a bigger role then stingray by that point.

Other then the last battle I really didn't see any need for spidey or hulk in the story. It really didn't call for them.

I'm more confused why the avengers didn't use mantis who LIVED IN THE DC UNIVERSE! That would have helped with using a teammate who knew the dc universe.

Oh course they could get barry as well. He was in the marvel universe right?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaastra View Post
    I'm more confused why the avengers didn't use mantis who LIVED IN THE DC UNIVERSE! That would have helped with using a teammate who knew the dc universe.

Oh course they could get barry as well. He was in the marvel universe right?
    Correct. The appearance happened in Quasar #17, which is highly recommended. AFAIK, Barry hasn't shown up in the MU since then.
    Last edited by K7P5V; 09-05-2019 at 07:34 PM. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors.

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Correct. The appearance happened in Quasar #17, which is highly recommended. AFAIK, Barry hasn't shown up in the MU since then.
    Well, he was in one more issue of Quasar later. But it wasn't nearly as good as his first appearance.