• Yes

25 54.35%
  • No

6 13.04%
  • Talented but overrated

15 32.61%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Yah, it does demonstrate that flaw. But at least sites like Rotten Tomatoes allow the viewer easy access to actual reviews by individual critics. So if there is a critic who tends to line up with your individual views, you can ignore the aggregate, go directly to that person's review and see how a movie fared.
    As already said, its now about the meat. not the bones.

RT numbers mean so little now, people do now want to know what the critics are saying more. I had a bad experience with Ant Man 2 last year. very high rt score but when I was actually reading the reviews it all felt mixed, some even negative, although they were all rated fresh.
    Abrams is a name draw, known for being able to put together a coherent movie with a certain feel to it. He has a decent feel for how to do action sequences and he's not afraid to make his stamp on something, like adding lens flare to a starship. But his entry into Star Trek and Star Wars, to me, smacked of desperation. It seemed that the producers decided to play it safe rather than pursue a real vision anymore
    Is Abrams really a draw? star wars 7 was always going to be highest grossing movie ever in the USA.

A good star trek reboot was bound to have a strong box office

Mission Impossible 3 did okay numbers but that was blamed on tom cruise wacky behavior

His box office track record is alright if you look at his original movies like Super 8 and Colverfield.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post

Is Abrams really a draw? star wars 7 was always going to be highest grossing movie ever in the USA.

Mission Impossible 3 did okay numbers but that was blamed on tom cruise wacky behavior

His box office track record is alright if you look at his original movies like Super 8 and Colverfield.
    The alternative is that a director who is not a draw just randomly lucked into directing films from the franchises in green.

Which makes right around "Zero..." sense.

Of course the guy is a draw.

JJ Abrams has nothing to prove in terms of being a success and good at his job.

Whether we, as individual people, like his work overall, is another thing and doesn't have anything to do with the former.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    The alternative is that a director who is not a draw just randomly lucked into directing films from the franchises in green.

Which makes right around "Zero..." sense.

Of course the guy is a draw.
    Yea that seems 100% plausible.. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Yea that seems 100% plausible.. lol
    That's before you even take a minute to think about this...

Drew Goddard wrote Cloverfield and Matt Reeves directed it. Trying to frame it as "His Original Movies..." versus franchise work that he actually did direct doesn't exactly track.

That is a completely unsupportablr statement. Yes, there was enormous fan anticipation for a new Star Wars movie. But to say it would be an all time world wide mega success no matter what is just hooey.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    That is a completely unsupportablr statement. Yes, there was enormous fan anticipation for a new Star Wars movie. But to say it would be an all time world wide mega success no matter what is just hooey.
    Nope. I knew it. I always knew it would surpass Avatar. This is star wars, if I remember correctly star wars 4 was the highest grossing movie when it was released, I did not doubt star wars 7 would achieve the same feat. What was disappointing to me is how soulless, bland and okay the movie was.

Nope. I knew it. I always knew it would surpass Avatar. This is star wars, if I remember correctly star wars 4 was the highest grossing movie when it was released, I did not doubt star wars 7 would achieve the same feat. What was disappointing to me is how soulless, bland and okay the movie was.
    It didn't surpass Avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    It didn't surpass Avatar.
    USA box office.

You could probably substitute some other directors in there and have the same kind of success. The point is that most scifi fans can say " yah I saw an Abrams movie and it wasn't too bad, so I can get on board with this."

Compare that with Solo, which had a couple of less familiar directors before Disney decided to bail on them and follow their usual formula with a director everyone recognized. Too little too late in that case, people hardly even credited Ron Howard with anything about Solo other than cleaning it up a bit. I think had they gotten Ron Howard from the get go, different story for that movie.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

USA box office.
    nope. Avatar domestic $750 million, TPM $430 million. Just because you thought it would (not a risky prediction) doesn't mean a movie people didn't like as much would. See "Solo", "Justice League" and other movies with big fan bases.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    You could probably substitute some other directors in there and have the same kind of success. The point is that most scifi fans can say " yah I saw an Abrams movie and it wasn't too bad, so I can get on board with this."

Compare that with Solo, which had a couple of less familiar directors before Disney decided to bail on them and follow their usual formula with a director everyone recognized. Too little too late in that case, people hardly even credited Ron Howard with anything about Solo other than cleaning it up a bit. I think had they gotten Ron Howard from the get go, different story for that movie.
    My take on "Solo" which I thought was pretty good, is that Harrison Ford IS Han. It was just hard to accept any other actor as him. Never felt like I was watching young Han, since I saw young Han in ANH.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    nope. Avatar domestic $750 million, TPM $430 million. Just because you thought it would (not a risky prediction) doesn't mean a movie people didn't like as much would. See "Solo", "Justice League" and other movies with big fan bases.
    I think he was talking about the Force Awakens domestic box office was 900 million and change if memory serves, and at the time I think the Phantom Menace's domestic take was the largest until Avatar, which again I think was what he was saying...but I'm not sure what the point was beyond that, especially as in the modern era domestic is becoming less important as a metric.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Default Can we all agree that JJ Abrams...

...robbed WB of $250 million?

Talk about one of your most overrated creative talents of all-time.

Why link this Video?

While the only thing he ever made I truly loved was Fringe.

He directed the 2 highest Grossing Star Trek films, the Highest Grossing Star Wars film, & with Lost, Alias, Fringe, and Felicity he has made studios a lot of money with ad revenue and syndication. On paper fans opinions aside he's a moneymaker.