25 54.35%
  • No

6 13.04%
  • Talented but overrated

15 32.61%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default JJ Abrams as a Film-Maker

I was going to say JJ as a director but since he writes, directs and produces, I chose to go with film maker as it covers mostly everything.

This is a general question but what are your personal opinions of him as a film maker?

I seem to be getting the feeling he is seen as an ''emperor has no cloths type of film maker''. A person whose talents is only a mask filled with limitations or he is a dumbed down mash up off Cameron/Spielberg/Nolan all rolled into one person?
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-04-2019 at 03:38 PM.

Astonishing Member

He makes movies exactly how I like them. To me, he's one of the best. Much better film maker than TV-show runner.

Quote Originally Posted by titanfan View Post
    He makes movies exactly how I like them. To me, he's one of the best. Much better film maker than TV-show runner.
    Shout out to his admin skills, too. If he's a producer and not director or writing a movie (like the last couple Mission: Impossible movies, or Star Trek Beyond, or even TV like Westworld), he sure knows how to pick the right people for the job. (though, counterpoint in fairness -- I liked The Last Jedi but I also understand where those who were displeased are coming from)
    Last edited by Cyke; 09-04-2019 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    Shout out to his admin skills, too. If he's a producer and not director or writing a movie (like the last couple Mission: Impossible movies, or Star Trek Beyond, or even TV like Westworld), he sure knows how to pick the right people for the job. (though, counterpoint in fairness -- I liked The Last Jedi but I also understand where those who were displeased are coming from)
    Fans do get to him although he denies it. The harsh fan criticisms of Star Trek Into Darkness led to a reverse course for Star Trek Beyond. I have no doubt the same will apply with Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker despite JJ saying the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Fans do get to him although he denies it. The harsh fan criticisms of Star Trek Into Darkness led to a reverse course for Star Trek Beyond. I have no doubt the same will apply with Last Jedi and Rise of Skywalker despite JJ saying the opposite.
    That's perfectly fine. In the end fans are the recipients and offer critiques. Anyone who believes they have the right answer all the time never lasts long in this business. Even if he doesn't realize it, just so long as it helps him deliver a quality product, very few would really mind it.

He’s a hack, copying Spielberg in a purely technical sense without any understanding of how his film-making works. All surface and no feeling.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Default Can we all agree that JJ Abrams...

...robbed WB of $250 million?

Talk about one of your most overrated creative talents of all-time.

Why link this Video?

While the only thing he ever made I truly loved was Fringe.

He directed the 2 highest Grossing Star Trek films, the Highest Grossing Star Wars film, & with Lost, Alias, Fringe, and Felicity he has made studios a lot of money with ad revenue and syndication. On paper fans opinions aside he's a moneymaker.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post

Why link this Video?

He directed the 2 highest Grossing Star Trek films, the Highest Grossing Star Wars film, & with Lost, Alias, Fringe, and Felicity he has made studios a lot of money with ad revenue and syndication. On paper fans opinions aside he's a moneymaker.
    Well, he hasn't made WB any money... LOL

Hyperbole of the thread title aside, I understand he has his fans and has been successful. But I still stand by my opinion that, of some of the more modern creative forces in TV and movies, he's the most overrated. Most of his real success came from collaborative efforts, and those he collaborated with have done much higher quality of work without Abrams than he's done without them.

Astonishing Member

As written filmmaker I am on the meh side but as far as TV goes he is prolific, for me his work on two of my all-time favorite tv shows, Lost and Alias puts him way up there. Two totally different arguments in on area he is ok in the other he is exceptional.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    Fringe was amazing! John Noble deserves all the awards for his role(s) in that show.

Other than that, I'm not generally a fan of Abram's work. But I am also not the target audience, I suppose, as I also don't care for the Transformers movies (or pretty much anything else from Bay), or Nolan's Batman movies, and they seem quite successful.