• No

6 13.04%
  • Talented but overrated

15 32.61%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post

Why link this Video?

While the only thing he ever made I truly loved was Fringe.

He directed the 2 highest Grossing Star Trek films, the Highest Grossing Star Wars film, & with Lost, Alias, Fringe, and Felicity he has made studios a lot of money with ad revenue and syndication. On paper fans opinions aside he's a moneymaker.
    Well, he hasn't made WB any money... LOL

Hyperbole of the thread title aside, I understand he has his fans and has been successful. But I still stand by my opinion that, of some of the more modern creative forces in TV and movies, he's the most overrated. Most of his real success came from collaborative efforts, and those he collaborated with have done much higher quality of work without Abrams than he's done without them.

Astonishing Member

As written filmmaker I am on the meh side but as far as TV goes he is prolific, for me his work on two of my all-time favorite tv shows, Lost and Alias puts him way up there. Two totally different arguments in on area he is ok in the other he is exceptional.

He is a Michael Bay type of filmmaker, makes movies that are entertaining but at the expense of almost everything else. He seems to envision moments that will look cool and then build in scenes and plot progression just to get you to the cool looking scene, regardless of whether it makes sense for the characters.

But I am good with that. Take MI3 (which he directed) and MI4 (which he produced). Great and very entertaining entries, which some rank as the best. In this kind of a film (vapid, action-based) - he shines.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Shiiit, “vapid” is the perfect word for the M:I films. Technically they’re well made, but it’s just Bond with all the weird psycho-sexual undercurrents stripped out, leaving only empty spectacle.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    While the only thing he ever made I truly loved was Fringe.
    Fringe was amazing! John Noble deserves all the awards for his role(s) in that show.

Other than that, I'm not generally a fan of Abram's work. But I am also not the target audience, I suppose, as I also don't care for the Transformers movies (or pretty much anything else from Bay), or Nolan's Batman movies, and they seem quite successful.