Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Well, hey...at least you didn't say, like, Sins Past or anything...haha!

The fact that Marvel spent years trying to fashion Norman into a Lex Luthor knockoff and basically took him away from Spider-Man and made him a greater Marvel Universe villain says a lot, IMO.

Even now, when they tell Norman Osborn stories in the pages of Spider-Man books, they have to merge him with a symbiote and tie him to Carnage to try to find different ways to make Norman seem fresh, threatening, and relevant to present day Spider-Man mythology. To me, that's almost like them admitting WITHOUT admitting that Norman should have stayed dead, that his best Green Goblin stories are long behind him
    I kinda liked "Go Down Swinging" though...

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I kinda liked "Go Down Swinging" though...
    I thought "Going Down Swinging" was just okay. Slott managed to take a lame, recycled idea (a merged villain) and turn it into a story that served as a decent finale for a 10 year run that started off great, but had been absolutely terrible for about the previous 3 years prior to "Going Down Swinging." So, I guess you could say it evened it, at least in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I dunno. The Kravinoffs seemed more interesting to me if only because they had all that family history and continuity with the Spider-Books. I mean, Chameleon alone is worth, like, 4 Inheritors.
    Well, by the Kravinoffs, I mean Sasha and Ana. Chameleon's great, but even in the context of that story he's just another pawn in their scheme, just given closer treatment.

I really liked pretty much all of the individual stories during The Gauntlet, its just whenever they cut back to them it brought my enjoyment down, which is why I would say they are my least favourites since that doesn't really happen to me for most other stories.

I also think its just really hard in general to do "Master Manipulator" villains without making it feel kind of cheap narratively. It's why I don't dislike the Inheritors as much, they aren't exaggerated secret orchestrators, just straight to the point with their killing, I can respect that.

In comparison, I think Kindred, even though we know barely anything about him, works as that kind of character much better because he has a unique design AND has an enjoyable personality.

Mr. Negative. The only comic I read with him was the brand new day arc and honestly he just came off as kingpin lite.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Skeleton View Post
    Vulture, Mysterio, Black Cat, Styx & Stone.
    I don't like it when they write Black Cat as a straight-up Supervillain without any of the romance or dynamic with Spidey. She's just a little more boring.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inversed View Post
    I also think its just really hard in general to do "Master Manipulator" villains without making it feel kind of cheap narratively. It's why I don't dislike the Inheritors as much, they aren't exaggerated secret orchestrators, just straight to the point with their killing, I can respect that.
    It makes them simpler, but it also just makes it all the more kind of irritating that these bland and dull characters just keep killing off named Spider-Man characters with hardly any effort for the most part. It feels totally unearned.

I'm not going to quote everyone who mentioned a villain I agree with as being uninteresting, I'll just say what I think.

Morlun is cool as a one time villain to test Spider-Man's strength limit, and he was alright in the Other although overused there. The Inheritors are a terrible idea, I like that it explains more about that character, but they're awful. All of the Straczynski created villains are one time characters that did not need to be revisited.

Jackal is an absurd idea, a student of his is killed and then he goes berserk and murderous after being near sighted and timid. One good thing about making him as a villain is how he was used for the Spectacular Spider-Man animated series, without mystique or being a mystery unresolved, he's a greedy confident man, and doesn't make clones.

Any villain who is a villain in and for the Clone Saga, especially those created for clones and stuff. That extends to Kaine before redeeming himself, his size being reduced, and going to a different state to distance himself from Peter.

Paper Doll. I think that's the name of the weird two dimensional flat girl who was a stalker of the actor who was sleeping with Mary Jane at the time. Nothing about her is interesting.

Menace. Prepare your barf bags.

Fusion. Not the interesting guy with a grudge against Spider-Man cause his son died trying to emulate Spider-Man, no no no, there is another one with this name, a merger of twin brothers via radioactive mess (the catalyst of Marvel accidental power ups), and the greedy brother took the driver seat while the other one was just trying to talk him off to stop without being able to do more.
    TRUTH, JUSTICE, HOPE
    That is, the heritage of the Kryptonian Warrior: Kal-El, son of Jor-El
    You like Gameboy and NDS? - My channel
    Looks like I'll have to move past gameplay footage

Astonishing Member

I did a post about double standards when it comes to villains. I feel as though it’s really strong here.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I did a post about double standards when it comes to villains. I feel as though it’s really strong here.
    Well, what did your post say? What's the double standard?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    Well, what did your post say? What's the double standard?
    I feel like the Ditko villains are liked more because they were first rather than good themselves. Most of my favorite portrayals of the Ditko villains weren’t even written by Ditko himself.

Astonishing Member Godzilla2099's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    On the last one, you kind of get your wish in Absolute Carnage: Lethal Protectors, as Carnage rips out her spine to absorb the Scorn codex from when she was that symbiote's first host, though her body is used to revive Demogoblin.
    Thanks. I didn't read that one. I'll also have to read the Carnage Series again. I remember Scorn and Carnage sprouting wings, but don't recall Shriek hosting a Symbiote.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Boomerang, so Spencer's run has been a bit of a nightmare for me. With that said, the good things about the run have far outweighed Boomrang's annoying presence (thus far).
    Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Here's my list: White Rabbit, Scorpia, Kangaroo, Boomerang, Overdrive,
    In the words of Fred Myers: "These guys, right?" Just kidding! Fred is one of my favorites (even before Spencer) but I can see how he wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea. In all seriousness, I would have once had quite a few villains on this list. However, thanks to talented writers like Nick Spencer I have grown a new fondness and appreciation for all types of villains in Spidey's rogues gallery. I once didn't care for Stegron: I find him immensely entertaining now. The same applies for a lot of Spider-Man villains I once didn't care for. I suppose my least favorite villains would have to be the Queen and Hate-Monger from the story where Spidey met Razorback and Sha Shan became Sister Sun. Hate-Monger especially bored me like no other villain when I read that story.

Mighty Member

Has anyone mentioned the Green Goblin knockoffs that are NOT the Hobgoblin (and even when it's Gobby and Hobby only a couple people matter behind the mask)? Perhaps we'll start with the Grey Goblin...disgusting.

I can't say I'm too much of a fan or Morlun and the Inheritors either

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    Has anyone mentioned the Green Goblin knockoffs that are NOT the Hobgoblin (and even when it's Gobby and Hobby only a couple people matter behind the mask)? Perhaps we'll start with the Grey Goblin...disgusting.
    Grey Goblin was my choice too.

I'm surprised he hasn't come up more often. Do people really like Grey Goblin more than Boomerang and Mysterio?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Grey Goblin was my choice too.

I'm surprised he hasn't come up more often. Do people really like Grey Goblin more than Boomerang and Mysterio?
    Not really. He's a forgettable terrible villain part of a terrible story. These others at least appeared more than once.

I like your phrasing of "least favorite". I think all of his rogues add something, but for my pick here I think they would be way more effective in another rogues gallery. That person is Black Cat, similar to Catwoman, the whole will they won't they thing and blurring the lines between where she is really a villain thing is not okay, but she could be a phenomenal villain if they let go of the throttle.