Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Spider-Man already died and was gone for like 16 months.
    And there were no spider books during that time? Don't be daft. The topic was killing dead wood, which implies basically cancelling off the character, not doing a clever switch to another book only to have him come back at its conclusion.

No, not really.
    Micky Mouse is the face of Disney. And part of an entirely different medium and genre with its own set of rules and tropes. The comparison doesn't work.

Spider-Man (any of them) is one of many parts of the larger universe.
    Sure, and Batman isn't the face of DC. Lets pretend Marvel doesn't have its icons or household names, and the continuity is all that matters. Cool story bro.

On top of that, Marvel killing off Peter Parker would be a cheap marketing thing. He'd be gone for a few months the we'd get something stupid like "Return of Peter Parker: a 6 part mini-series" turning into a new #1 of one of the Spider-Man books. There would be no question about whether or not Peter would be back, just how dumb his method of not being dead would be.
    That's not killing off dead wood then, is it? That's just leveraging valuable IP to sell more books.

I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    As I stated before, if a person doesn't care about a character's life, they're not going to care about their death.
    worked for Bendis. he asked for a list of characters he could kill during Disassembled. and he killed the characters that he found to be the most expendable. he even joked about Scott being unimportant on his forum. so i'd apply the logic that he used. killing Jessica Jones would make Dani Cage important.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    worked for Bendis. he asked for a list of characters he could kill during Disassembled. and he killed the characters that he found to be the most expendable. he even joked about Scott being unimportant on his forum. so i'd apply the logic that he used. killing Jessica Jones would make Dani Cage important.
    But that's Bendis. He also had a lot more to work with to make even those deaths important. He also later regretted the massacre.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    Wasn’t Bendis’ run of the Avengers heavily panned?

by me. but it was also heavily defended on these boards.

There was a lot of very loud criticism online, but, that's not the same thing as being critically panned.

American comics don't really have a very robust critical arm so I don't know how much criticism was actually being written at the time.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

A lot of the more casual fans loved it because "oh look all the big names in one place and the stories or pretty simple". It was like a big blockbuster movie that is all spectacle and big stars and not much thinking involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    But Silverclaw, Mutant Force, etc...would be up for grabs.
    Silverclaw is so underrated since she got slammed by critics. If they actually did something with her, then she would not be dead weight anymore. She is an Avenger after all.

No More Avengers, then?

No.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    A lot of the more casual fans loved it because "oh look all the big names in one place and the stories or pretty simple". It was like a big blockbuster movie that is all spectacle and big stars and not much thinking involved.
    Yeah, the plotting, villains and characterization left a lot to be desired.

It may not have been critically panned, but it certainly wasn't praised.

BANNED

This thread is...stupid, it's just stupid.
    What is the point of killing off characters that aren't being used, and doing so in a big event?
    I mean they already aren't being used, killing them off doesn't do anything other than making it more complicated for when someone does want to use them because now they need to think up a BS reason for why they're alive.

Nah.

Though I think it would be interesting to see a story where all non-powered beings are killed off, maybe by a targeted/selective virus or something. How would superheroes react if they no longer had anyone to protect?

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Spider-Man View Post
    Nah.

Though I think it would be interesting to see a story where all non-powered beings are killed off, maybe by a targeted/selective virus or something. How would superheroes react if they no longer had anyone to protect?
    there is an episode of Darkwing Duck that deals with this, where an entire planet of superheroes had ONE GUY to protect, and they would actually fabricate situations to save him from to give themselves a sense of purpose. it's really funny. https://darkwingduck.fandom.com/wiki...t_of_the_Capes

Yes kill off all of the stupid characters like Squirrell Girl, Spider Gwen and Ms Marvel and I'll be very happy.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)