Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    BANNED

How about this we kill off every prominent character instead, and don't bring in legacies to replace them, just start anew with the D and lower listers?

Ultimate Member

Just once, when they kill an obscure character, I'd like them to go down putting up a decent fight, against someone in their league or a little above.

Not Scourge's usual method of dropping bridges on people, or Ultron slaughtering D-Man

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    How about this we kill off every prominent character instead, and don't bring in legacies to replace them, just start anew with the D and lower listers?
    I wonder if there’s anyone who’d agree to that.

I’m tempted but I’d say no ultimately.

iMan 42s

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    Like a new Acts of Vengeance and they can kill of a bunch of heroes and villains that have no real future?

Keep in mind this is coming from a guy who believes there are no bad characters....just writers who don't want to put in the effort.
    It creates bad precedent and ultimately makes Marvel a bit too much like DC.

Death is warranted when the story demands it (not if the writer simply wants it) or the character has exhausted story potential. Killing characters just because they are small is just wrong because any character can be used well even if they're D-list. That's ultimately the issue of death in comics, it isn't constant resurrections, it's that the death itself is here for shock value and as such is insignificant. If Marvel killed Spider-man tomorrow you genuinely wouldn't believe it would stick. Not because it's a big name, but because it's here to make you gasp. There isn't value in that beyond the moment.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Incredible Member

I don't think Marvel should do an event just for the sake of thinning the herd so to speak but on the other hand it seems like anytime they decide to off a character the collective fandom throws a temper tantrum. Having an emotional reaction to a favorite character is one thing but I feel like people go way overboard with their reactions.

So basically no to an event for the sake of culling their library of characters but at the same time people need to be more accepting of the fact that characters getting offed is part of these stories as well.

iMan 42s

The fanbase throwing a tantrum basically goes back to what I said about the necessity. If it's just present for shock value it will be known. And this comes with the frustration and expectation that the death will be temporary. If Spider-man was to actually have died for good to lead into Superior Spider-man, it would've been garbage.

Likewise this also shares a lot of overlap in taking a character off the board for another. Killing off a character (or simply a new character to the mantle for ____ reasons) to make the "hip" new replacement is just as bad if the replacement is about as good or worse than their predecessor. From one Hobgoblin to the other it doesn't really change all that much if the replacement isn't already retired or dead. Change should occur when it's needed because it makes for an easier transition, and as brands you want to get the most out of them. Just cutting "dead weight" doesn't make sense because you risk even more so letting a character slide into obscurity. That's one less thing to sell because even if Stilt-man is a joke, Stilt-man still sold a toy and is near and dear to someone who can be a return customer for the brand's shelf-life.

While you could just create the replacement, if say "______ villain 2.0" you also risk undercutting the story (and usually does) if they're just back or the replacement is exactly who you took off the board. You either create your original problem and or you undercut your own work.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Mighty Member

It's always a bad idea to destroy an intellectual property for an event.
    I try to improve my english, feel free to correct me by DM if you see some mistakes !

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    And that's another decent point. Let's assume that somewhere, there's a character that *everyone* hates, and nobody cares about. Does anyone want to read an issue about that characters death? Not likely. They'd rather the character never be seen or mentioned ever again. Are they gonna be super-impressed by whatever bad-guy manages to gank this utter loser? Again, not so much.

How impressed were we with Scourge back in the day for killing mostly a bunch of losers that nobody cared about, with his amazing super-power of 'has a bunch of guns' and his brilliant 'tactics' of 'get a bunch of people, some armored, some with super-powers, some paranoid, all dangerous, together and spray the room with bullets, hoping every bullet hits and causes an immediately fatal wound, so nobody can retaliate against my t-shirt wearing powerless unarmored idiot self with their vastly deadlier powers and / or weapons!' Ugh. Unsurprisingly, here it is, decades later, and Scourge remains a nobody that went nowhere, despite this big pile of bodies thrown at his feet to make him look badass.
    Don't forget Scourge being a master of disguise, with the ability to switch genders.

Quote Originally Posted by Sutekh View Post
    Thank goodness horrible loser Screaming Mimi didn't show up to the Bar With No Name and eat a bullet. We'd have been cheated out of Songbird (and getting to see what a writer with actual talent does with a 'worthless' loser villain, instead of using them as event fodder to pump up the cred of a newbie villain).
    We should count our blessings. Thunderbolts was certainly a safe haven for characters like Songbird. The creative team for that title even did their own version of Scourge, which was rather interesting (IMHO).

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by K7P5V View Post
    Don't forget Scourge being a master of disguise, with the ability to switch genders.
    In fairness, it was always implied that there was more than one Scourge out there. When Cap captured the one from the 'Bar with no Name', he was killed by someone else

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    I wonder if there’s anyone who’d agree to that.

I’m tempted but I’d say no ultimately.
    do it ya cowards shake things up for real let the old die

That would be my dream, especially for the X-books, but we all know that'll never ever happen.

And even if it happens, the narrative will be "the D-listers suck and everything goes horribly wrong, most of them get killed and one year after, the iconic heroes come back to fix everything".
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Death hasn't meant anything in comics for nearly thirty years.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HaveAtThee View Post
    Death hasn't meant anything in comics for nearly thirty years.
    Only for popular characters.

For replaceable characters, death is very real.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Slaughter fests are never a good thing unless they are handled very very well and lead to very big things. Plus one writers throwaway characters are others favorites. As an example my final straw with Bendis was when he decided to slaughter all of Alpha Flight to try and boost up his new villain. It was ugly and pointless and led nowhere. Even the character he was trying to build up never took off and is now less know than the characters he killed off.

Cosigning, even though I think it's the cowardice of writers that would stop this from ever happening. What would they do if they couldn't fall back on their retread stories using only their favorite characters.