Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Ringoess Hal ? Is that an alternate universe Hal Jordan that married Ringo Star ?

As to your actual point though, that's how I see it.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Ringoess Hal ? Is that an alternate universe Hal Jordan that married Ringo Star ?

As to your actual point though, that's how I see it.
    Main continuity, actually. Hal married all of the Beatles at various points during the Pre Crisis days. And Johns specifically dragged that up during his silver age revival.

Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu_of_R'lyeh View Post
    Hal Jordan doesn't want any yellow submarines.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    He specifically noted he intended to make a "thorough" search of the planet as opposed to a passive scan.
    Did he ever explain what he meant by "thorough," or how exactly he did it? No. So we shouldn't assume.

Also, conflating the Power Cosmic with like... radio waves or whatever you are doing feels way off.
    It's just an example. We don't actually know where he went, what he did or why.

Surfer has picked up on events happening light years away before in /real time/.
    All the more reason not to assume he had to fly around the world to search it...

Feel like you are ignoring the provided context of Strange having just performed an Astral scan. More of that kind of thing would be senseless.

How fast do you feel Surfer is?
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    The thing is, if he was just scanning with cosmic awareness for example he wouldn't have needed to leave in the first place.
    You guys keep saying that as if cosmic awareness is a real thing of which we know the rules. :-D I also didn't say he used cosmic awareness, just that it is one of the many other sensory options at his disposal. The sheer fact that he has options is why we can't say what he actually used.

If you plot a course well it should be easy enough to straight line without hitting anything, and Surfer (or other Heralds, or Superman, Thor, or Green Lanterns) definitely have the sensory capacity to pull that off.
    We dont see him do that though. We see Peter Quill do it when piloting a starship, or Worldmind do it when plotting a jump for Nova. But all the evidence points to Surfer just freestyling. Notice how he acclerates, turns and stops on a dime all without any on panel evidence of forethought.

https://imgur.com/C9w1Trh
    http://i.imgur.com/Wl7489L.jpg
    http://i.imgur.com/0dslPGf.jpg

I can dig up scans of a ringless Hal Jordan specifically disabling the navigation program on an extremely FTL ship so it could go as fast as possible and then manually steering the thing past planets.
    I'm curious to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Arbiter View Post
    Feel like you are ignoring the provided context of Strange having just performed an Astral scan. More of that kind of thing would be senseless.
    Whether cosmic awareness and astral senses are technically even the same "kind of thing" is debatable. But my point still stands that we don't know what kind of thing he actually tries.

What do you think he did? Flew around the world? Flew around the world 10 times, to be thorough? A hundred times? Maybe he just flew into space so he could see the whole planet at once. Or maybe altitude really does help him "sense" his surroundings. At the end of the day, we are given literally ZERO information with which to form a conclusion.

How fast do you feel Surfer is?
    I don't know. But my issue is with this one feat, since it doesn't actually happen on panel, not with Surfer's speed in general.

If not for speed disparity, I'd give this to Midora.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Just to check, I reread the final battle chapters of Toriko where Midora does a bunch of things and while Surfer would notice him, I'm less sure he could actually hurt him that much.

Dude can hang out in black holes and can fly through suns while deep in though. Surfer is ridiculously difficult to hurt. I'm not sure what Midora has that could hurt him. Most destructive feat he has is him messing up an area greater than planet earth with a single attack and then just throwing that out multiple times but that's not really enough gun to deal with Surfer at his best.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Just to check, I reread the final battle chapters of Toriko where Midora does a bunch of things and while Surfer would notice him, I'm less sure he could actually hurt him that much.
    Could be. Or it could be that Minority World would simply take the small percentage of atoms in Surfer's body that suffered any damage and make them the majority.

Most destructive feat he has is him messing up an area greater than planet earth with a single attack and then just throwing that out multiple times but that's not really enough gun to deal with Surfer at his best.
    I'm curious as to which feat this was.
    This one is pretty impressive (https://imgur.com/a/Qgrzx), especially when we remember that Toriko-Earth is many times larger than real-Earth to begin with--each of the explosions Midora creates on Gourmet Hand is probably about planet-sized. We also know, via powerscaling, that he hits harder than the Heavenly Kings AND can reflect attacks back to sender (https://imgur.com/a/VKpYy). It's safe to say Midora is capable of at least spamming planet-busters* all day long, with Minority World to instantly turn any atom-sized damage into catastrophic damage.

EDIT: of course, it's also possible that Surfer would be able to cosmically sense the true nature of Gourmet luck and come up with a way to disable it from the start. And it's ALSO possible that Midora will copy Surfer's Power Cosmic and add it to his arsenal. I don't know. There's a lot of variables.

EDIT 2*: This is just based on the size of the explosion. Obviously a blast doesn't need to be as big as the thing it hits to destroy it. From a size comparison, I'd expect on of Guiness's simple stomps to be enough to bust apart something as small as real-Earth(https://imgur.com/a/w3FNN). And a considerably weaker version of Neo/Acacia than the one Midora put up a good showing against caught Guiness's stomp one-handed with no damage(https://imgur.com/a/idtE7). Midora's Hungry Space, however, tears through his body to the atomic level (http://i.imgur.com/5YfIRR3.jpg).

So yeah, I think he can hurt Surfer just fine.
    Last edited by Morning; 09-09-2019 at 06:58 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Morning View Post
    Could be. Or it could be that Minority World would simply take the small percentage of atoms in Surfer's body that suffered any damage and make them the majority.

I'm curious as to which feat this was.
    This one is pretty impressive (https://imgur.com/a/Qgrzx), especially when we remember that Toriko-Earth is many times larger than real-Earth to begin with--each of the explosions Midora creates on Gourmet Hand is probably about planet-sized. We also know, via powerscaling, that he hits harder than the Heavenly Kings AND can reflect attacks back to sender (https://imgur.com/a/VKpYy). It's safe to say Midora is capable of at least spamming planet-busters* all day long, with Minority World to instantly turn any atom-sized damage into catastrophic damage.

EDIT: of course, it's also possible that Surfer would be able to cosmically sense the true nature of Gourmet luck and come up with a way to disable it from the start. And it's ALSO possible that Midora will copy Surfer's Power Cosmic and add it to his arsenal. I don't know. There's a lot of variables.

EDIT 2*: This is just based on the size of the explosion. Obviously a blast doesn't need to be as big as the thing it hits to destroy it. From a size comparison, I'd expect on of Guiness's simple stomps to be enough to blow up real-Earth. And a considerably weaker version of Neo/Acacia than the one Midora put up a good showing against caught Guiness's stomp one-handed with no damage. Midora's Hungry Space, however, cuts through his body like it's not even there.

So yeah, I think he can hurt Surfer just fine.
    Does Midora scale to the Supernova feat?

I don't know. But my issue is with this one feat, since it doesn't actually happen on panel, not with Surfer's speed in general.
    Your issue with this feat boils down to "you can't prove my magic tiger repelling rock doesn't repel tigers, do you see any around here?" logic.

The Surfer straight up gets onto his board and flies off. The entire context is him thus departing to search the planet.

Your entire "problem" is "well since technically nothing explicitly said he didn't then instead fly up and use his cosmic awareness/did some power cosmic thing, I can totally claim the comic meant to imply he did that."
    Last edited by Pendaran; 09-09-2019 at 07:18 PM.

I had a feeling magic tiger rock might make an appearance. :P
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

This is what happened:

https://imgur.com/a/OiMrIsC

How you take from that "yeah, well clearly I can read into that that he then used his cosmic awareness." is certainly bizarre.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendaran View Post
    This is what happened:

https://imgur.com/a/OiMrIsC

How you take from that "yeah, well clearly I can read into that that he then used his cosmic awareness." is certainly bizarre.
    Clearly it's because you don't see him running with his feet ! Checkmate !
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan