Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Drexelhand View Post
    What I meant was less using older versions of current day heroes and more resolving dropped plot threads from Futures End and DC You Batman Beyond. The two big ones are, what happened to the Tim Drake Batman's resistance in NYC? In the last issue of Futures End, he's with them but in the first issue of DC YOU BB, he's returned to Neo Gotham. Then, there's Prince Tuftan and all his evolved animals who allied with Dr. Abel Cuvier. Finally, there's whatever happened to Tim Drake himself. Last we heard, he just disappeared in the past after a mission with the Teen Titans.
    My apologies! I did misunderstand.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"

just skimming this thread is really making me want to check out Batman Beyond. I tried a couple issues here and there but it never felt like anything particularly compelling was going on. where would you guys say the series really finds it's groove?
    THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    just skimming this thread is really making me want to check out Batman Beyond. I tried a couple issues here and there but it never felt like anything particularly compelling was going on. where would you guys say the series really finds it's groove?
    Personally, the first arc was a bit vanilla and was kind of dealing with setting a new status quo and moving on from the Brother Eye plot. The second arc, with Damian, still dealt with that to a degree but was a lot better. Personally, my favourite arc so far has been the Scarecrow Beyond arc.

In regards to the current arc, I feel fairly confident that Elainna Grayson is the new Batwoman. She's already affiliated with the Batman Family and knows their secrets, she's kind of Bruce's adopted granddaughter but, much like Kate Kane, she was in the military and is a trained soldier.

Mighty Member

I like this arc, mostly because of the vastness of it. Two villains leading up to Terry's archnemesis (admittedly, Terry needs a better nemesis). It's enough for me to get over my fears/disappointments, Terry as Batman being sideline for Bruce stuff or facing Bruce villains or fighting Bruce's past, and now he's being "replaced" by Batwoman. More problematically, introducing Batwoman when you have done NOTHING with Batgirl. Why even bring her over from the previous series? I do like Batwoman herself. She was who I thought she was, but it isn't like there were a lot of options. While I still maintain that nothing has matched Adam Beechen's Beyond run, I've kind of come around on this one. I like it better than Kyle Higgins' run.

Quote Originally Posted by Tulku View Post
    Hmmmm. Okay, this thread took off somewhat worse than a lead balloon (the Mythbusters proved that a lead balloon could get off the ground...unlike this thread).

But I'll take one more shot, since the new issue is out. No spoilers (although the "what to do with a villain that knows your identity" bit was resolved with one of the oldest tropes imaginable). But the issue ends with a mysterious feminine figure sneaking into the Batcave to swipe the super-suit, and a teaser referencing "the million-dollar debut of...Batwoman!" So, time for discussion: who could it be?

(1) The tag line is reminiscent of how Barbara Gordon was originally introduced as Batgirl. So Babs has to be on the list. Actually, if this was still the animated series universe, that would be ridiculous: Barbara was depicted as too old and too much against masked vigilantes for that to fly. But this time-line (post-Future's End) has an inexplicably age-regressed Barbara and she seems to fine with the idea of masked vigilantes. But, still, I vote no--because it would be too obvious.

(2) Melanie (Ten): Again, a little too obvious. Ten seems happy with her own suit, name and skills.

(3) Nissa: For those who don't recall her very rare appearances, she is "Batgirl Beyond"--but tends to be ignored. I think we last saw her in issue # 12. I doubt it is her because, well, she is ignored. And it has not been truly established that she even knows where the Cave is. Besides, she is devoted to protecting "Crown Point"--the seedy spot of Neo-Gotham. Nissa might show up, though, to help amnesiac Terry, who is headed further into the seedy side of life. That would be cool.

(4) Max: Not her style. Besides, the mysterious figure seems to have white (or at least light) skin, which kind of rules Maxine out.

(5) Stephanie Brown or Cassandra Cain: I lump them together. Neither has shown in the Beyondiverse as far as I can recall. It wouldn't be a bad idea to introduce one or the other. Both are potential candidates in my mind (the "white wrists" might be Asian...they don't look it, but it's close enough not to be definitive about it, so Cassandra is still viable).

(6) Kate: Also no known appearance in the Beyondiverse, but making Batwoman be Batwoman Beyond is beyond boring.

(7) Tim Drake: Okay, he's a guy. But DC keeps trying to reinvent him into a character that people might actually give a damn about...and, while an alternate timeline Drake did wear the Batsuit for a time following Future's End, we don't really know what happened to the Tim Drake of this timeline. Maybe his life took, ummm, another path.

(8) Dana. Oh, we have a winner. She knows of the Cave, she knows the suit. With Terry missing, she might well come to help. Coloring of the wrists is still an issue, but re-introducing Dana this way, and adding her to the cast to create friction with Terry and Ten? That is storytelling gold. It's gotta be Dana.

But, then, I am almost always wrong on these things. Being wrong is my superpower. Any other votes?
    All wrong, it turns out.
    spoilers:
    Drexelhand's guess is right. It was Dick Grayson's daughter.
    end of spoilers
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Im not sure this place is the right place to ask. But I could never get into Batman Beyond because of old sad depressed Bruce and the awkwardness between Bruce, Dick and Barbara. Has all that stuff been retconned?

I'd kinda like to get into it! Cause ive heard good things about Terry.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Katana500 View Post
    Im not sure this place is the right place to ask. But I could never get into Batman Beyond because of old sad depressed Bruce and the awkwardness between Bruce, Dick and Barbara. Has all that stuff been retconned?

I'd kinda like to get into it! Cause ive heard good things about Terry.
    Bruce is still somewhat cranky, but he's not the same old depressed Bruce from the series. He has clearly opened back up to people. The Bruce, Dick, Barbara thing was never in this continuity, whatever this continuity is now. I'm not quite sure that "This is the real canonical Batman Beyond" is an argument they're still trying to make.

Quote Originally Posted by scribbleMind View Post
    Bruce is still somewhat cranky, but he's not the same old depressed Bruce from the series. He has clearly opened back up to people. The Bruce, Dick, Barbara thing was never in this continuity, whatever this continuity is now. I'm not quite sure that "This is the real canonical Batman Beyond" is an argument they're still trying to make.
    Ah thank you! which stories are part of the current Batman Beyond continuity?

Mighty Member

There's the Future's End event (you might remember it), then Dan Jurgen's Batman Beyond book starts but it focuses on Tim Drake. The Drake stories are "Brave New Worlds," "City of Yesterday," and "Wired for Death." Don't ask me if these are worth reading, cause I skipped them. The book was then rebooted (v6 now) with the current more Terry-centric book that starts with Batman Beyond: Rebirth and a new #1 starting with the arc "Escaping the Grave." Huh, this stroll down memory lane reminded me that Max used to be important to this book.

So if I start reading the new volume I dont really need to worry about much prior history!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Ah thank you! which stories are part of the current Batman Beyond continuity?
    ...nothing and everything. It's basically just whatever they want for whatever story they're telling at the moment. We had all this build up with Bruce and Dana and then nothing. Dick becomes Terry's mentor and now they barely seem to know eachother. Babs has red hair again and seems inexplicably younger and the False Face, who died on the show, showed up alive and well.
    The stories are good on their own right, but you just have to let the cards fall where they may despite what ever came before.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    ...nothing and everything. It's basically just whatever they want for whatever story they're telling at the moment. We had all this build up with Bruce and Dana and then nothing. Dick becomes Terry's mentor and now they barely seem to know eachother. Babs has red hair again and seems inexplicably younger and the False Face, who died on the show, showed up alive and well.
    The stories are good on their own right, but you just have to let the cards fall where they may despite what ever came before.
    What happened between Bruce and Dana? guess ill just read volume 6 then!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

What happened between Bruce and Dana? guess ill just read volume 6 then!
    She knew Terry was Batman and that Bruce was before Terry and seemed to be accepted into the Family...and then nope, nada, and now Terry's with Ten and Dana's gone.

It's written well enough though so it's a good read, you just have to know that it's continuity is just whatever is needed to fit the story.

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    That's probably due to switching from what was meant to be a show continuation, to being the future of the New 52. As such, it's now been maybe 20 years since the main continuity stuff, not 40, which explains Barbara's de-aging among other things. Notably, when Tim "died" in Detective Comics, wasn't his Beyond counterpart removed at the same time? That shows it's linked to the Rebirth continuity.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    All wrong, it turns out.
    spoilers:
    Drexelhand's guess is right. It was Dick Grayson's daughter.
    end of spoilers
    I told you: Being wrong is my superpower.
    "Age is not defined by years, but by regrets...I'm an old man now." --Fighting Yank, "Project Superpowers"