View Poll Results: What level of wider MU connection do you like?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll

5 9.26%

10 18.52%

19 35.19%

8 14.81%

12 22.22%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default What level of connection to the wider Marvel Universe do you like?

On a scale of one to five, how much of the wider Marvel Universe do you like to see in X-titles and vice versa?

Here's the rating system I devised:

1. Self-Contained - The stories are largely confined within the X-books, featuring X-related heroes, villains, and concepts, with little influence from the outside going in and vice-versa. Crossovers are often with each other.
    2. Minimal - Occasional elements pop up, such as S.H.I.E.L.D., and you might see an appearance from a general MU hero or villain in a fairly prominent fashion, but still largely reliant on the X-Universe.
    3. Moderate - The X-Men stand on their own, but also have a clear relation to the rest of Marvel. You might see them team up with the Avengers or Fantastic Four, or have another hero like Spider-Man be a guest star, and mutants show up in the wider universe. They take part in company-wide crossovers with their own stake in the event.
    4. Large - Mutants and non-mutants are seen prominently together, with crossovers having major impact across both sides of the continuity. It's common for non-mutants to show up in X-books, and vice versa.
    5. Synergy - The X-Universe is in perfect synergy with the wider world. They take part in massive crossovers, frequently appear in non-X titles, and non-mutants show up in their books as well.

I thought this would be interesting to ask. The X-Men and mutant's level of connection to the wider Marvel Universe has varied over time, and while they've always had those elements of the non-mutant side of the universe even during their '80s dominance, they also weren't as in-sync as they could be. Some have said they existed in a void, like they were an offshoot of Marvel rather than a true part of it. It's been used as a justification for them not joining the MCU (until a certain buyout...), and I am completely against the idea of them just being their own thing. It's also important to remember that the X-Men were largely the biggest franchise of Marvel alongside Spider-Man, ahead of the Avengers, and especially individuals like Thor and Iron Man. The idea that the Avengers are the core of the Marvel Universe is a very recent one.

As for me, I'd say 3 is good. I like the X-Men to stand on their own as much as they can, but I also like to see them working with the others part of Marvel, to demonstrate that they are a part of Marvel, all to show that yes, they share a world with the Avengers, Fantastic Four and Spider-Man and aren't just in their own void. I also like to see them interact with the other heroes, it's often interesting to me.

I voted 3.

At least having the Avengers be able to go "sorry we couldn't stop the latest mass genocide of mutants, Surtur and Loki dragged us all into Asgard".

It has be 1 or 5. If they are in main Marvel Universe then everything that has happens affects them and visa versa. Genosha should not have a mutant genocide event happen and larger Marvel in other books don't mention it. You can't pretend the X-men haven't work closely with Avengers and people in the world aren't fans of the X-men too. All or nothing because halfway mesures make the Avengers and other heroes look like hypocrites.

This thread could not have come at a better time for X-Fans since xmen is about to get sucked up by the MCU. Tony stark artificially created mutants in that universe for all I care.

I voted for 2. Minimal. let's be aware they are in a larger world of heroes but still very reliant on the xmen universe. I think 2 is already the best definition of the xmen universe in the comics, though 1 of self contained is what X-Men TAS and X-Men evolution used.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-04-2019 at 10:44 PM.

I voted for 3, that's how I want most Marvel properties to be treated.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    On a scale of one to five, how much of the wider Marvel Universe do you like to see in X-titles and vice versa?

I thought this would be interesting to ask. The X-Men and mutant's level of connection to the wider Marvel Universe has varied over time, and while they've always had those elements of the non-mutant side of the universe even during their '80s dominance, they also weren't as in-sync as they could be. Some have said they existed in a void, like they were an offshoot of Marvel rather than a true part of it. It's been used as a justification for them not joining the MCU (until a certain buyout...), .
    The justification was important and had more good than bad, the justification is also about the x-men universe tone. The tone of X-Men was usually different from the rest of marvel. it was a lot easier to buy them in their own universe than a crossover universe. This carries also to films. the last two main xmen movies took place in a desolate dystopian futures Logan and DOFP, which has everything to do with tone and themes.

MCU doesn't do dystopian stories. There was a lot of justification to support them not joining the mcu, too much important lore would have to changed for them to join the MCU. its better to keep xmen self contained in movies , cartoon and comics, it's a proof in theory now because they actually have the evidence to proof it, Logan, TAS, Comics, even shows like Legion never pretended to be part of the movie x-men universe.

I did notice about 3 years ago when I rewatched X-Men and Spiderman TAS back to back as a much older adult. I noticed Spiderman had far more main guest appearances. The Punisher, Daredevil, Dr Strange, Nick Fury on his show. X-Men had barely any little guest appearance. I only remember DR Strange, Black Panther and Thor making cameos with barely any lines but the Xmen TAS universe was far more self contained than Spiderman, you would hardly know it takes place in a larger universe of other heroes.

I hate what crossovers have done now because of things like the MCU. It's a shallow concept in the long haul and it takes more away from IPs like Spiderman and X-men than it gives to them. Many Spiderman fans are actually calling Spiderman in the MCU Iron Boy as way to voice their dislike of spiderman in the MCU being too reliant on Iron Man and Avengers. It will only get worse with X-men.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-04-2019 at 11:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    The justification was important and had more good than bad, the justification is also about the x-men universe tone. The tone of X-Men was usually different from the rest of marvel. it was a lot easier to buy them in their own universe than a crossover universe. This carries also to films. the last two main xmen movies took place in a desolate dystopian futures Logan and DOFP, which has everything to do with tone and themes. MCU don't do dystopian futures. There was a lot of justification to support them not joining the mcu, too much important lore would have to changed for them to join the MCU. its better to keep xmen self contained in movies , cartoon and comics, it's a proof in theory now because they actually have the evidence to proof it, even shows like Legion never pretended to be part of the movie universe.

I did notice about 3 years ago when I rewatched X-Men and Spiderman TAS back to back as a much older adult. I noticed Spiderman had far more main guest appearances. The Punisher, Daredevil, Dr Strange, Nick Fury on his show. X-Men had barely any little guest appearance. I only remember dr strange, black panther and thor making cameos with barely any lines but the xmen tas universe was far more self contained than spiderman, you would hardly know it takes place in a larger universe of other heroes.

I dislike what crossovers have done now because of things like the MCU. It's a shallow concept in the long haul and it takes more away from IP like Spiderman and X-men than it gives to them.
    That's your opinion man. When someone says that the racism towards mutants in a setting of other superpowered being is illogical, I point out that racism in real life is already illogical to begin with. It's not supposed to make sense. People are good at hating others for differences, we kinda have a history of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    That's your opinion man. When someone says that the racism towards mutants in a setting of other superpowered being is illogical, I point out that racism in real life is already illogical to begin with. It's not supposed to make sense. People are good at hating others for differences, we kinda have a history of it.
    I don't get my opinions just from anything though, I usually have some evidence and good logic to prove why I have those opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I don't get my opinions just from anything though, I usually have some evidence and good logic to prove why I have those opinions.
    Also, I find the whole "MCU doesn't do dystopian futures" argument to not hold much weight. There are a lot of things the MCU didn't do... until they do them.

The MCU didn't do space operas... until they made Guardians of the Galaxy.
    The MCU didn't do heist movies... until they made Ant-Man.
    The MCU didn't do massive crossovers outside the Avengers... until they made Captain America: Civil War.
    The MCU didn't do supernatural... until they made Doctor Strange.
    The MCU didn't do teen movies... until they made Spider-Man: Homecoming.
    The MCU didn't do planetary romance... until they made Thor: Ragnarok.
    The MCU didn't do afrofuturism... until they made Black Panther.
    The MCU didn't make chick action movies... until they made Captain Marvel.
    The MCU didn't do TV shows that were actually connected to the movies... until Phase 4.

See the point? There's also Phase 4 stuff doing buddy cop (Falcon/Winter Soldier), martial arts (Shang-Chi), romantic comedies (WandaVision), horror (Doctor Strange 2), and psychological thriller (Moon Knight), among who knows what else. The MCU succeeded in part for its versatility. I think they could do dystopian stuff if they so choose.
    Last edited by Hybrid; 09-04-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Didn't the MCU kill most of their heroes in Infinity War and had the villain win?

If they can do that they can do a dystopian future.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

1. Im only interested in X-men.

Somewhere between 2 and 3. Occasional guest stars and team ups with other heroes, but those guys shouldn't be the main focus. Tying into the summer crossover events can be annoying but sometimes the stories can be enjoyable. Not every X-team in the line needs to get involved in whatever war the Avengers have started this week but having a few mutants show up can help push their importance.

Dani should have been more prominent during War of the Realms, Magik should show up whenever Dr. Strange is gathering the top sorcerers because all of magic is getting wiped out again, if you're fighting for AI rights and arguing against their enslavement then Danger probably has something to say, if the Shi'ar Imperial Guard is being bitchy just have Cannonball have a spousal spat with the wife, if you're going to have the Thieve's Guild steal a ton of **** then Gambit should probably at least get mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    Somewhere between 2 and 3. Occasional guest stars and team ups with other heroes, but those guys shouldn't be the main focus. Tying into the summer crossover events can be annoying but sometimes the stories can be enjoyable. Not every X-team in the line needs to get involved in whatever war the Avengers have started this week but having a few mutants show up can help push their importance.

Dani should have been more prominent during War of the Realms, Magik should show up whenever Dr. Strange is gathering the top sorcerers because all of magic is getting wiped out again, if you're fighting for AI rights and arguing against their enslavement then Danger probably has something to say, if the Shi'ar Imperial Guard is being bitchy just have Cannonball have a spousal spat with the wife, if you're going to have the Thieve's Guild steal a ton of **** then Gambit should probably at least get mentioned
    I hear ya. One of my favorite things about Hickman's Avengers was seeing Cannonball and Sunspot on the team. I guess he got them in by negotiating with Jordan D. White, and there was no real plans to use them in anything major (Hickman said they're among his favorite mutants). It was neat seeing them in situations outside the norm, where they're dealing with Avengers stuff, and not the usual X conflicts. More stuff like that would be cool.

Fantastic Member Chainsaw Vigilante's Avatar

I don't like how the X-books have felt so isolated for so long, but I feel there should be some level of autonomy, I mean Spider Man and Fantastic Four books have that as well.

Somewhere between 3-4, though I feel most books should be in this range.

Stuff they do in their own book that has global impact should be acknowledged in other books (when relevant), and vice versa. When the entire planet is under threat in [insert crossover here] the X-men should take part. Mutants should be in other books when they're not being used by the x-office, or when it makes sense for their character.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!