View Poll Results: What level of wider MU connection do you like?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll

5 9.26%

10 18.52%

19 35.19%

8 14.81%

12 22.22%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Zero.

Unpopular opinion: the X-men - mutants in general - don't mesh well with the rest of the Marvel universe at all... X-writers don't know how to write their stories without throwing this or that property under the bus, and it's tiring.

So, I voted 1, because there wasn't the option to vote 0, but really it's 0 for me.
    Total quarantine from one another and be done with it.
    "The means are as important as the end - we have to do this right or not at all.
    Anything less negates every belief we've ever had, every sacrifice we've ever made."

"Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

"No justice, no peace."

Mighty Member

Zero. Tech I do like the idea but in action, it doesn't work. It's actually made me dislike Captain America and The Avengers (loved the movie version though) as it makes them look totally clueless when it comes to minorities. Not heroic at all.

Since they're different franchises they can never really work with each other and acknowledge what's going on in different stories.If they did intertwine them more than they'd solve each others issues and there'd be no problems.
    Last edited by RamaBird; 09-05-2019 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    It has be 1 or 5. If they are in main Marvel Universe then everything that has happens affects them and visa versa. Genosha should not have a mutant genocide event happen and larger Marvel in other books don't mention it. You can't pretend the X-men haven't work closely with Avengers and people in the world aren't fans of the X-men too. All or nothing because halfway mesures make the Avengers and other heroes look like hypocrites.
    I agree, it has to 0% or 100%. Nothing inbetween.

I also voted 1 because I only care about X-Men and I read x-books for X-Men. If I wanted to read about Iron Man, Thor, Spidey, Captain America or the Avengers I’d read those books. But I don’t read those books because I don’t care or like about those characters. Especially after Marvel has spent last few years crapping on X-Men in favor of those characters. And I also don’t want to see those books/storylines disrupting my X-Men stories. So I prefer that we keep all non-X-Men related Marvel franchises out of the x-books and X-Men out of all of the non-X-Men Marvel books.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

I want complete synergy. I feel this is how things were in the 80s. X-Men really don't work without the rest of the MU in context.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

I also only read X-Men related books but I voted 5. I like the shared universe concept, I don't need constant crossovers or cameos but it just wouldn't feel authentic to have the X-Men isolated or in a separate reality than the rest of the Marvel characters.

Hickman’s isolated Krakoan feel is exactly what I would want—an unavoidable and fraught connection to the MU.

Interesting that the results are so varied. It says something, not quite sure what.

How does this reflect the community?

They exist in the universe, they must follow the rules of the universe, how much they play with the universe depends on the individual story, but regardless of how connected things are writers need to always keep the larger world in mind. Marvel is a gestalt. It's one story.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Something like 3.5

I voted 3. Moderate works for me.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Minimal, The X-men should have their own separate universe but given that it is impossible they may as well use characters or concepts from the wider Marvel universe but very little.

3 seems very good tio me. Wider Marvel universe acknowledge the x-men but it doen't drag the books into crossovers

I remember in the 90s really wanting option #5, to the point where I'd pick up a book just to see a small crossover between an X-character and non-mutants. To me it felt like the X-Men got too isolated, to the point where it wasn't heroes vs. villains, but gang on gang warfare. Heck, for all the complaints about Rosenberg's Uncanny X-Men run, he showcased or brought up almost all those villain teams from the 80s and 90s, and in hindsight it was almost a wonder that we kept up with all those factions.

Now, to have the X-Men integrated but being able to stay in their lane and lead when others enter their lane? That'd be great. And I thought Marvel was handling that well until the comic embargo on Fox movie properties curtailed a lot of that (having the Avengers and the FF try to save Utopia/San Francisco makes perfect sense, but they still had to defer to the X-Men since it was their turf and their problem -- that's also sensible). I'm convinced Hickman wrote Secret Wars as the ultimate Fantastic Four story with prominent X-villains like Apocalypse and Sinister in defiance of that embargo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Also, I find the whole "MCU doesn't do dystopian futures" argument to not hold much weight. There are a lot of things the MCU didn't do... until they do them.

The MCU didn't do space operas... until they made Guardians of the Galaxy.
    The MCU didn't do heist movies... until they made Ant-Man.
    The MCU didn't do massive crossovers outside the Avengers... until they made Captain America: Civil War.
    The MCU didn't do supernatural... until they made Doctor Strange.
    The MCU didn't do teen movies... until they made Spider-Man: Homecoming.
    The MCU didn't do planetary romance... until they made Thor: Ragnarok.
    The MCU didn't do afrofuturism... until they made Black Panther.
    The MCU didn't make chick action movies... until they made Captain Marvel.
    The MCU didn't do TV shows that were actually connected to the movies... until Phase 4.

See the point? There's also Phase 4 stuff doing buddy cop (Falcon/Winter Soldier), martial arts (Shang-Chi), romantic comedies (WandaVision), horror (Doctor Strange 2), and psychological thriller (Moon Knight), among who knows what else. The MCU succeeded in part for its versatility. I think they could do dystopian stuff if they so choose.
    Here here. This is the MCU's greatest strength. Sure, the characters are important, but they work in their primary genres. Get the genres down and you'll get the characters down. The earlier MCU movies were almost paint by numbers because they tried to be the same movie, but once they really embraced other approaches, they began to shine well. Likewise, the X-movies/shows also flourished creatively when they were given the chance to branch out -- period piece like First Class, the aforementioned dystopian future, slapstick comedy like Deadpool, psyechedelic drama like Legion, thoughtful neo-Western contemplation like Logan. If the X-movies are allowed to try their hand at different genres and styles, so too should MCU movies (and any other comic franchise and movie, for that matter).
    Last edited by Cyke; 09-05-2019 at 09:25 AM.

Fantastic Member

I say 1 or maybe 2. But largely I've wanted the Xmen ib their own universe. Even if its part of Marvel give them the Malibu universe or a rebooted Ultimate universe all to themselves. I'd even campaign for Disney to farm the xbooks out to someone like Valiant or something just to keep them seperate