Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Incredible Member Sensational C's Avatar

Characters shine in their own way. The X-Women speak to their fans just as much as the other characters do. The X-characters have a great history of standing with teammates, their family against the ugly force of bigotry. The other women of marvel offer different stories, different struggles to overcome, longer solo runs that allow them more breathing room to get into their head. Those differences allow for more people to have a gateway for them into the Marvel Universe to come to enjoying the rest of the wonderful world of women characters in Marvel.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Them promoting Carol as the greatest thing ever only goes back to earlier this decade, and before that she was a B-lister and treated as such by the company.
    And before that she was C-list, and before that D-list. Carol's profile has grown and grown organically over decades due to fan response. In the case of the last decade, it finally happened to synergize with a corporate vision.

I wouldn't call it "organic"...

BANNED

I wouldn't call it "organic"...
    Carol has been increasingly popular and increasingly featured since the 1980s. She came by her current prominence the long, hard way around.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zaja View Post
    Um... Sue Storm and She-Hulk?
    I never cared for She-Hulk.

Franklin has a family waiting for him on Krakoa. Maybe he'll put in a good word for Sue.

you know why the inhumans got shifted out

they stopped making enough money

you know who is and will continue to make more money for marvel than x-characters who can't hold solos, the one who's had a solo since 2005 and prints money on amazon alone
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    you know why the inhumans got shifted out

they stopped making enough money
    Did they ever? As soon as Fox gave up the ghost their fetch ass was destined to go away.

Here's some perspective:

Marvel vs. Capcom 3, released in 2011, had four female representatives of the Marvel side. They were Phoenix, Storm, She-Hulk and X-23. They actually considered the idea of adding Carol (at the time she was Ms. Marvel), but decided against it because her style wasn't distinctive and they didn't think she was popular enough to include. Let it set that in: they thought variants of Hulk and Wolverine (already in the game) were unique, more popular, and thus more worthy of inclusion, then Carol. This was just before she got pushed so hard, too.

So yeah, if you need proof that her push was so recent and only came about by the MCU, there you go.

BANNED

The recent corporate push was in the last decade-plus. The growing popularity? Not so much. She has been a mainstay for many years.

That's the entire point.

They only started pushing her like this because they couldn't use the X-Women, and it came at the cost of so many characters including (but certainly not limited to) the X-Women. Them promoting Carol as the greatest thing ever only goes back to earlier this decade, and before that she was a B-lister and treated as such by the company. It's weird to me, because Carol was meant to be the answer to Power Girl more than Wonder Woman, a strong blonde promoted for her sex appeal but not particularly important to the brand overall. She never would've been promoted this way, if they had the X-Women to begin with. The leading lady of the MCU would likely be Jean Grey, Storm or Sue (maybe even a split). Maybe that will happen, and Carol will be quietly shifted away, kinda like when they tried to force the Inhumans when they couldn't use the mutants.
    I don't think their push of Carol has genuinely come at the expense of any other character. It's a fallacy to think that they can only push one woman at a time.

None of the characters in discussion are "meant to be the answer to" any DC characters.

Carol's push actually began a while ago, starting with Busiek bringing her back to the Avengers at the turn of the century, then followed by Bendis' repositioning of her in and after House of M. It predates the MCU and was premised on creators having a passion for the character.

Carol isn't going away. Her movie made over a billion. She's here to stay. And that is no roadblock to Storm, Jean, Sue, anybody, coming to prominence.

Do people have any counter-argument to use besides “billion dollar movie”? A bunch of movies that are mediocre at best make that much. Avatar was the movie to beat it and we all know how that movie was.

Do people have any counter-argument to use besides “billion dollar movie”? A bunch of movies that are mediocre at best make that much. Avatar was the movie to beat it and we all know how that movie was.
    I was using "billion dollar movie" to counter a notion that the character would disappear, not any qualitative claim. But nice job avoiding any of the more substantive points I was making.

Welcome to CBR where a character bringing in new readers from an underserved demographic that formed a hardcore community that had its name adopted into the official comic as readers continued to buy the book for like 7 years coming off of the decade prior where the character was also prominent but in a different costume, is not organic because a movie was released 9 months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I don't think their push of Carol has genuinely come at the expense of any other character. It's a fallacy to think that they can only push one woman at a time.

None of the characters in discussion are "meant to be the answer to" any DC characters.

Carol's push actually began a while ago, starting with Busiek bringing her back to the Avengers at the turn of the century, then followed by Bendis' repositioning of her in and after House of M. It predates the MCU and was premised on creators having a passion for the character.

Carol isn't going away. Her movie made over a billion. She's here to stay. And that is no roadblock to Storm, Jean, Sue, anybody, coming to prominence.
    Plus it seems they're starting to give Sue her own little push with her own mini and more appearances in other books. They may start pushing the X-ladies more after Hickman's finished setting up the new direction for mutants.
    Be sure to check out the Invisible Woman appreciation thread!

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Did they ever? As soon as Fox gave up the ghost their fetch ass was destined to go away.
    Yes, the company produced product that produced profit.