Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

The X-Men have so many great female characters that one popular X-series, Excalibur, started off with a team with a 3:2 female to male ratio. Kitty, Meggan, and Rachel, along with Kurt and Brian were an incredible team of heroes in a highly original and very popular book - From the Eighties!

She's forgotten now (sadly), but Meggan was a well-drawn character for a time, along with everybody else from that series.

Then you have the female villains from Excalibur like Saturnyne and Gatecrasher. And great secondary characters like Courtney Ross, Cerise, and Roma. Such fond memories...

Astonishing Member Electricmastro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post
    The X-Men have so many great female characters that one popular X-series, Excalibur, started off with a team with a 3:2 female to male ratio. Kitty, Meggan, and Rachel, along with Kurt and Brian were an incredible team of heroes in a highly original and very popular book - From the Eighties!

She's forgotten now (sadly), but Meggan was a well-drawn character for a time, along with everybody else from that series.

Then you have the female villains from Excalibur like Saturnyne and Gatecrasher. And great secondary characters like Courtney Ross, Cerise, and Roma. Such fond memories...
    And the New Mutants started off with more females than males as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Yep, even Wolverine has stacked dozens of issues in his solo series. Meanwhile, while Storm is arguably Marvel's most published woman, she has only gone as far as getting to 11 issues in a continuous run.
    Eleven doesn't even qualify for participation; other female characters have had a lot more solo material to their names (Spider-Girl, for example).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Eleven doesn't even qualify for participation; other female characters have had a lot more solo material to their names (Spider-Girl, for example).
    And as I had found, the Marvel women who had the longest solo runs turned out to be these:

Spider-Girl (1998-2006) - 100 issues

The Sensational She-Hulk (1989-1994) - 60 issues

Ms. Marvel (2014-2019) - 57 issues

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (2015-present) - 56 issues

Ms. Marvel (2006-2010) - 50 issues

Spider-Woman (1978-1983) - 50 issues

Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur (2016-2019) - 47 issues

Dazzler (1981-1986) - 42 issues

Spider-Gwen (2015-2018) - 39 issues

She-Hulk (2005-2009) - 38 issues

All-New Wolverine (2016-2018) - 35 issues

Elektra (2001-2004) - 35 issues

The Amazing Spider-Girl (2006-2009) - 30 issues

Mighty Thor (2016-2018) - 30 issues

Spider-Woman (2015-2017) - 27 issues

Silk (2015-2017) - 26 issues

The Savage She-Hulk (1980-1982) - 25 issues

The Unbelievable Gwenpool (2016-2018) - 25 issues

Mystique (2003-2005) - 24 issues

Ms. Marvel (1977-1979) - 23 issues

X-23 (2010-2012) - 21 issues

Black Widow (2014-2015) - 20 issues

Elektra (1996-1998) - 20 issues

Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane (2006-2007) - 20 issues

Venus (1948-1952) - 19 issues

Emma Frost (2003-2005) - 18 issues

Jessica Jones (2016-2018) - 18 issues

Spider-Woman (1999-2000) - 18 issues

Captain Marvel (2012-2014) - 17 issues

Patsy Walker, A.K.A. Hellcat! (2016-2017) - 17 issues

Dark Angel (1992-1993) - 16 issues

Hawkeye (2017-2018) - 16 issues

Captain Marvel (2014-2015) - 15 issues

Red Sonja (1977-1979) - 15 issues

Scarlet Witch (2016-2017) - 15 issues

The Mighty Captain Marvel (2017-2018) - 14 issues

Captain Marvel (2019-present) - 13 issues

Red Sonja (1983-1986) - 13 issues

America (2017-2018) - 12 issues

Araña: Heart of the Spider (2005-2006) - 12 issues

Black Widow (2016-2017) - 12 issues

Ironheart (2019-2020) - 12 issues

Motormouth (1992-1993) - 12 issues

Rogue (2004-2005) - 12 issues

She-Hulk (2004-2005) - 12 issues

She-Hulk (2014-2015) - 12 issues

X-23 (2018-2019) - 12 issues

Blonde Phantom Comics (1946-1949) - 11 issues

Elektra (2014-2015) - 11 issues

Hulk (2017) - 11 issues

Jean Grey (2017-2018) - 11 issues

Spectacular Spider-Girl (2009-2010) - 11 issues

Storm (2014-2015) - 11 issues

Captain Marvel (2016-2017) - 10 issues

Domino (2018-2019) - 10 issues

The Magnificent Ms. Marvel (2019-present) - 10 issues

Red She-Hulk (2012-2013) - 10 issues

Shuri (2018-2019) - 10 issues

Spider-Gwen: Ghost-Spider (2018-2019) - 10 issues

The Unstoppable Wasp (2018-2019) - 10 issues
    Last edited by Electricmastro; 10-03-2019 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Can't say I know much about X-Man, although I see what you mean about Cable. Don't think Storm comes anywhere near close to being Marvel's Wonder Woman; major X-Men character for sure, but she's never expanded beyond the franchise, unlike, say Black Widow going from being an Iron Man antagonist to a defined character who has her own mythology outside of the teams she's assigned to.
    What is the mythology of black widow? Is her back story and myth as rich as Rogue, Psylocke or Jean? I don't think so. If we even use the movies, we don't know much about her still, reason she is now getting a solo movie. If any female character in marvel has a mythology to herself, it would be Jean Grey because of the Phoenix force.

When people say storm is the closest to wonder woman, it is because of longevity, recognition and impact Storm has had. Storm is not meant to be solo though, neither is black widow, they work better as part of a team. Storm with xmen, black widow with SHIELD and Avengers. The only real solo female marvel created was captain marvel and she for some weird reason does not click with people.

When Marvel vs DC had a cannon crossover. Storm won the fight over Wonder Woman. The marvel/DC writers made Storm win. where was black widow then? where was even black panther? This is just to show Storm's impact as a marvel female and it has not withered over the years as you can see everyone up for xmen when disney was trying to destroy them die to movie rights issues. disney tried to destroy xmen and failed on every level. It will be easy for disney to destroy black widow since they made her with their movies.

Black widow, like Iron Man was and still is kind of a D list character without the movies, Storm isn't as an x-men character. When you say she has gone beyond iron man, you are looking at it from the movies POV. Most marvel fans and people here don't look at marvel from the movie's POV and this is all the marvel movies. sony, fox, disney, universal. we start with the source material.

Again this is why iron man as spiderman's mentor does not work in films. Also I predict there would be torns of backlash if storm is first used as black panther's love interest despite the fact his movie made billions. Storm is still a more iconic black character, the way Spiderman is a more iconic character than Iron Man.

Was wondering about that myself. Personally, I think she's still climbing the ranks; extremely impressive the amount of solo content and development she's gotten, considering both how new a character she is and that she was a cartoon import (not to mention that "knockoffs" of better established characters rarely last that long, much less develop a consistent fanbase). So, not sure she's quite in the same ranks as her dad, but I could see here getting there if things stay the course.
    You can call X23 the closet thing to DC's Harley Quinn. they both came from cartoon shows and had impact on Marvel and DC comics more than the publishers expected. I won't be quick to use the term ''knockoff'' as you can see from the spiderverse movie and comics , Miles Morales is not a knock off peter parker. You can call the X23 and Miles adopted children or successors of characters than knockoffs.

Ironic that X23 even outshined wolverine in the film. chances are high she would have gotten a deserving best supporting actress over hugh's getting best actor if the oscars played fair with comic movies. Speaking of that, it was a supposed ''knock off'' of peter parker (miles morales) that led into the spiderverse to greatness that has now overshadowed holland's spiderman that is actually the real spiderman.

X23 is now problematic as a character on screen because we know Disney won't use her the way fox did, which is sad because if we do bring in the movies. X23 has a better background story in Logan than Carol did in captain marvel , so on paper X23 should get more push than carol but MCU is not really into kids slashing people.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-12-2019 at 10:24 PM.

And as I had found, the Marvel superheroines who had the longest solo runs turned out to be these:

Spider-Girl (1998-2006) - 100 issues

The Sensational She-Hulk (1989-1994) - 60 issues

Ms. Marvel (2006-2010) - 50 issues

Spider-Woman (1978-1983) - 50 issues

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl (2015-present) - 48 issues

Dazzler (1981-1986) - 42 issues

Ms. Marvel (2015-2019) - 38 issues

She-Hulk (2005-2009) - 38 issues

All-New Wolverine (2015-2018) - 35 issues

Elektra (2001-2004) - 35 issues

Spider-Gwen (2015-2018) - 34 issues

The Amazing Spider-Girl (2006-2009) - 30 issues

The Savage She-Hulk (1980-1982) - 25 issues

The Unbelievable Gwenpool (2016-2018) - 25 issues
    Thanks for uploading this. I was about to mention that Dazzler even had a bigger mythology than black widow.. Looks like my instincts were right. You won't even have a clue with spider-girl. I think it is clear that spiderman and x-men for some weird reasons, the characters in the long run works best when they are in the spiderman and xmen universe. their characters cant really run away from it as much as they try to break out as solos. they come back to spiderverse or xmenverse. Spider girl is still ranked 4th in top Spiderman females after Mary Jane, Gwen Stacey and Black cat.

It is only captain marvel that was meant to be a true solo star to match wonder woman from the start but what do you say when an xmen team member called Rogue that even first appeared as an Avengers villain, surpasses her in recognition and fandom? When the Captain Marvel movie was released almost everyone was saying , good. can't wait for rogue to just absorb her. Its too ironic that captain marvel ,the offical wonder woman of marvel is only famous because Rogue an X-men female that is mostly part of a team series stole her powers.

I see where weblucker is coming from him being a hard core MCU fan that is looking at marvel from the MCU pov that is just a footnote to the source material since marvel comics has a much bigger impact in pop culture and the entertainment world than any of their movies, which includes the fox and sony films too. But let me play it weblucker's way and look at these characters from movies. Fox should made a solo female film of an xmen female character. I remember halle berry saying she wanted to star in a Storm solo film, well better than that Catwoman.

Too little to late that fox just announced a kitty pryde movie with the deadpool's director during the disney's buyout. DC also announced Batgirl. Makes sense since both kitty pryde and batgirl are the same characters and have the same type of cult fans and appeal, so them getting a movie push was a no brainier in these comic book craze.

Also it gets more identical ans surreal. Buffy the vampire slayer creation was influenced greatly by Kitty Pryde, Joss Whedon who created Buffy was the one that pitched and was going to direct a Batgirl movie. Those movies now would not happen. wonder woman goes on, captain marvel does too but one thing is clear, any xmen female would have been more likeable and successful if they got the disney push over captain marvel. Disney can turn Jubilee to Hannah Motnana and Hannah was a far more successful disney franchise than Captain Marvel wold ever be.

Does not give much hope, if the Wonder Woman of marvel, miss carol is now getting toned down, also shows how useless money can be in terms of impact and staying power. her movie made a billion? so what. its even more disposable because it is a disney movie and most disney films now make billions in one weekend.

I count 35 women
    image-from-ios-58.jpg
    and that is only on this picture
    btw Shark Girl > Carol Danvers

Quote Originally Posted by staptik777 View Post
    I count 35 women
    image-from-ios-58.jpg
    and that is only on this picture
    btw Shark Girl > Carol Danvers
    Without her boring bland movie, Carol is only famous because of Rogue. In 3 years. This X-men TAS episode will be remembered more than the captain marvel movie.

I think substance and art is the key here. xmen females are so appealing because they have the right background and story more than other marvel females. what also helps xmen is their male counterparts , that makes them so appealing but in a way that does not make them less equals.

Jean has Cyclops and Wolverine
    Rogue has Gambit
    Kitty has Pitor, Wolverine
    Storm has everyone
    Psylocke has Angel
    Domino had Cable
    Emma had Cyclops
    Psylocke had Angel

And these xmen feamles were not just their male equals, they even dominate the men more that the men became dependent on the X-Women. xmen -women are also legitimately psychically stronger than the X-Males but not in a way that is SJW, that was the genius of X-Men's creation especially under Chris Claremont and that is true feminism people. Not what Brie Larson was doing with Chris Helmsworth and how the shill media pushed her movie.

Some are now hyping Black Widow, even saying she has own mythology? but they should remember the person who made her famous. Joss Whedon is a bigger fan of the xmen females than black widow , he literally made his most iconic character (buffy) from xmen. He also has said, they have the best female characters in marvel. I think he even said the best marvel characters belongs to X-Men and this is they guy that cemented the crossover cinematic appeal that some are now using to defend Captian victim Marvel and black widow. So impact and longevity doesn't lie when X-Men is concerned but more importantly, the art does the talking. Carol is now more manufactured than artistic (X23).
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-12-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Yeah, sorry, when you start throwing around "SJW" like that, it's hard for me to take you seriously.

There's no reason you have to shit on Carol to argue in support of the quality of the X-Women. That's just you pushing a bizarre political stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Without her boring bland movie, Carol is only famous because of Rogue. In 3 years. This X-men TAS episode will be remembered more than the captain marvel movie.
    I actually forgot Carol appeared in the TAS show, and I've seen it all when I was a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    People loved Captain Marvel. Fans loved Captain Marvel.
    SOME of them and sure she's popular but she's definitely not as adored as her male counterparts.

And some of us know that at her core that she's just a drunk with a famous universally feared and respected hero name.

But Storm, Jean, Rogue.
    And Sue.

Those are my WOMEN...our WOMEN..leading ladies..of Marvel.
    Last edited by Stormultt Divine; 09-14-2019 at 05:59 AM.

That's what makes it fun! Ricochet Rita's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grimsmack View Post
    And the New Mutants started off with more females than males as well.
    Actually, they too finished with more females than males:

The CC + JRJR era was 4:3, IIRC (Storm, Rogue, Shadowcat, Phoenix, Nightcrawler, Colossus and Wolverine).

Also during the Outback era the X-team was 4:4 (not counting Gateway neither Jubilee, although it would be the same, 5:5).

All of this is hardly a coincidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    I see where weblucker is coming from...
    It's "WebLurker."
    iron-man2-movie-screencaps.com-13688.jpg
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Actually, they too finished with more females than males:

The CC + JRJR era was 4:3, IIRC (Storm, Rogue, Shadowcat, Phoenix, Nightcrawler, Colossus and Wolverine).

Also during the Outback era the X-team was 4:4 (not counting Gateway neither Jubilee, although it would be the same, 5:5).

All of this is hardly a coincidence.
    The 1983 Avengers had more women than men as well.