Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet Rita View Post
    Short answer: YES. To a great extent thanks to Chris Claremont.
    Hear! Hear!

BANNED

I mean, X-Men have Big Bertha.
    Last edited by Vegan Daddy; 09-05-2019 at 12:10 PM.

Mighty Member

Yep, a lot of ground work for female heroes were laid down by CC's blue print for strong female leaders with strong personalities, powers, and potential.

I concur.

When the X-Men and mutants officially join the MCU, and if we're still lacking in strong, well-defined and likable female characters, there will be no one to blame but Marvel. Please don't screw this up.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Since the Avengers are keeping Quicksilver and Wanda forever, I demand the X-World at least get Monica Rambeau and Living Lightning.
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Since the Avengers are keeping Quicksilver and Wanda forever, I demand the X-World at least get Monica Rambeau and Living Lightning.
    The X-Men can get Doctor Druid and Silverclaw.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Monica with the X-Men? Yes just give it to me.

Doesn't even have to make sense just do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Veitha View Post
    Amen. I really used to like Carol during the Ms.Marvel days. But now I think they stripped her of most of the traits/history that I appreciated about her.
    Right? When she was Ms. Marvel, I really enjoyed the depth of her character. Once she became Captain Marvel, she was like a different person. I sure home the MCU doesn't "Captain Marvelize" the X-Women when they appear on the big screen.

I hope not. This only happened because Marvel wanted to desperately to have their Wonder Woman, at least, their Wondie that could actually be used in movies at the time. It only turned out that their best heroines were locked behind legal issues, what Fox holding the rights to the X-Women and the Invisible Woman. That's why Carol's push has been met with such resistance, because it's so artificial.

It really makes me wonder where they'll be when the X-Men are part of the MCU. Seeing as how Carol only became the greatest thing ever due to marketing reasons, I'm kinda hoping they'll just bury this under the rug, and everything will go back to normal. As in, the X-Women will be the celebrated Marvel heroines again while Carol is just another character.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

Yeah, even Jessica Drew and Binary were friends of X, and Scarlet Witch started as an X-Man character. Who does that leave? Pshh

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    Yeah, even Jessica Drew and Binary were friends of X, and Scarlet Witch started as an X-Man character. Who does that leave? Pshh
    Um... Sue Storm and She-Hulk?

BANNED

I don't think her recent books or characterization are all uniformly brilliant, but I think the backlash to Carol is much more manufactured and flimsy than the actual push. I think it made sense to push her forward after being a strong mainstay for so many years and I think it works in principle even if not every book or story is awesome. That comes with the territory for every major character. And again, those years of solid background and strong foundation are all owed to Chris Claremont and to a lesser extent Busiek, etc.

It is not an either/or for me. To me Carol Danvers is just another strong character from the House Claremont Built, just like all our X-Women. I don't need to pit them against her.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    I don't think her recent books or characterization are all uniformly brilliant, but I think the backlash to Carol is much more manufactured and flimsy than the actual push. I think it made sense to push her forward after being a strong mainstay for so many years and I think it works in principle even if not every book or story is awesome. That comes with the territory for every major character. And again, those years of solid background and strong foundation are all owed to Chris Claremont and to a lesser extent Busiek, etc.

It is not an either/or for me. To me Carol Danvers is just another strong character from the House Claremount Built, just like all our X-Women. I don't need to pit them against her.
    I doubt they would've pushed Captain Marvel as hard if Wonder Woman hadn't blown it out the water. I kind of felt they pushed Captain Marvel so hard because they wanted to rip off Wonder Woman as opposed to making a movie about Carol. Rogue is IMO a much superior version of Carol.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    I doubt they would've pushed Captain Marvel as hard if Wonder Woman hadn't blown it out the water. I kind of felt they pushed Captain Marvel so hard because they wanted to rip off Wonder Woman as opposed to making a movie about Carol.
    Whatever the corporate strategy, Carol was a valued Avenger with a long, long history and I had no problem with them graduating her to a major new role. She had always been a legacy character who now took the rightful mantle. It would've made sense with or without WW's box office.

Rogue is IMO a much superior version of Carol.
    I mean, she can give those powers back any time....

Quote Originally Posted by RamaBird View Post
    I doubt they would've pushed Captain Marvel as hard if Wonder Woman hadn't blown it out the water. I kind of felt they pushed Captain Marvel so hard because they wanted to rip off Wonder Woman as opposed to making a movie about Carol. Rogue is IMO a much superior version of Carol.
    It wasn't just the movie, it happened beforehand. In 2012, as the MCU was becoming the next big thing (what with the Avengers making it big), Marvel looked to Carol to make them their big heroine, their Wonder Woman, strictly because they had the film rights to her. Hence, she was given a Superman-like costume and everyone at Marvel (in-universe and out) began singing her praises like the greatest thing ever.

It doesn't even make much sense to me. Carol was never meant to be Superman, she was closer to Power Girl if anything as someone strong yet promoted for sex appeal. That, and she was a B-lister. She was shoehorned in a role that doesn't fit, and we were expected to accept her as the strongest and greatest superhero when she's not.

So now that they have the Marvel heroines that were actually celebrated, I can only hope, no, pray, that it dies down. Just like with the Inhumans shilling.