Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    I don't give a damn if she won an Oscar in a past movie role. What matters is the present, and how she portrays her character in each movie. Oh, and the Oscars are widely seen as a joke anyways, so nice try.
    >Highest award in cinema, respected universally around the globe.

>joke

Okay then.

The people I see complain about her charisma also complain about literally everything about the movie, mass downvoted it before it came out, and sent death threats to Larson.

Dude, ever take a look around and see all the complaints about how the Oscars work? A quick search will do that.

Remember, The Boss Baby got an Oscar nom for best animation just because someone's kid liked it. All the while, Your Name (one of the best animated movies in recent memory) didn't, because it's anime. Stop pretending some event is the end-all-be-all measuring stick of quality.

Dude, ever take a look around and see all the complaints about how the Oscars work? A quick search will do that.

Remember, The Boss Baby got an Oscar nom for best animation just because someone's kid liked it. All the while, Your Name (one of the best animated movies in recent memory) didn't, because it's anime. Stop pretending some event is the end-all-be-all measuring stick of quality.
    You still aren't addressing any of the real points.

I addressed you and the other guy acting like the Oscar defeats any and all counter argument.

I addressed you and the other guy acting like the Oscar defeats any and all counter argument.
    And what about the death threats? The mass downvoting before the movie came out? The talking points about Larson coming almost exclusively from Incel and MRA sites?

The fact is, this could've been avoided if they presented her as more of a character and not tried to convince us about how awesome she is compared to everyone. Ever asked "Why does Wondy never get this much hate?", well it's because they didn't have to force it, her actress had charisma, and it never felt unearned. Wondy is an actual character. That's more than what can be said about Captain Carol.

The fact is, this could've been avoided if they presented her as more of a character and not tried to convince us about how awesome she is compared to everyone. Ever asked "Why does Wondy never get this much hate?", well it's because they didn't have to force it, her actress had charisma, and it never felt unearned. Wondy is an actual character. That's more than what can be said about Captain Carol.
    Who was trying to force it? You're swinging at arguments that no one is presenting!

Also, congrats on using Larson's "lack of charisma" to justify death threats against her. That's awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    I liked it. It's not in my ten five Marvel movies. Probably 6th or 7th depending on how I'm feeling. But it was a good movie.
    I loved the fun budy cop movie type feel with Fury. You can tell that Brie and Sam are pretty close friends, their scene comedy chemistry is pretty much effortless. I guess it helps when you have already done 3 movies with someone.

I definitely enjoyed Captain Marvel and I can't wait to see the sequel. I am keeping my fingers crossed that they cross her over with the X-Men and have Carol go up against a young teen Rogue who is still under Mystique and Destiny's sway. I would love to see them do the whole storyline and have Carol turn into Binary when they go up against the Brood.

Haha, talk about a total movie like the Alien movies, they could make the scariest frigging X-Men ever with the Brood and creep everyone out with how horrifying they are.

BANNED

Nerdz loved Brie in Scott Pilgrim and Community. It wasn't until Captain Marvel came out that they suddenly detested her "lack of charisma" (which would mostly be the fault of the admittedly lacking writing/directing directing anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Nerdz loved Brie in Scott Pilgrim and Community. It wasn't until Captain Marvel came out that they suddenly detested her "lack of charisma" (which would mostly be the fault of the admittedly lacking writing/directing directing anyway).
    Right after Larson said "Men aren't the target audience" for the movie. All of a sudden, she's literally Satan who wants all men to die. Funny how that works.

The thing is, the movie has faults. Pacing is awkward in a lot of spots. The plot holes are fairly substantial. The script was carried pretty heavily by Jackson and Larson.

But when the same old MRA talking points get brought up, I start losing my cool. A fictional character's portrayal is not worth death threats.

Mighty Member

The biggest problem with CM is really just how "control your emotions" is repeated to the most poker faced character in the movie. She isn't shown to be a bleeding heart or a laughing sadist. Either of those, especially the latter, would get me really invested. But even then, that's a script issue not an acting issue.

Also, the incels believing Disney bought the tickets were stupid. Remember how in thermodynamics that there is no efficient transfer of energy? There's no efficient transfer of money either.

Who was trying to force it? You're swinging at arguments that no one is presenting!

Also, congrats on using Larson's "lack of charisma" to justify death threats against her. That's awesome.
    Whoa, when did I ever justify it?

Whoa, when did I ever justify it?
    "The fact is, this could've been avoided..."

That right there is called shifting the blame. You're implying that Larson and Disney are at fault for her getting death threats and MRAs attacking the movie.

Right after Larson said "Men aren't the target audience" for the movie. All of a sudden, she's literally Satan who wants all men to die. Funny how that works.

The thing is, the movie has faults. Pacing is awkward in a lot of spots. The plot holes are fairly substantial. The script was carried pretty heavily by Jackson and Larson.

But when the same old MRA talking points get brought up, I start losing my cool. A fictional character's portrayal is not worth death threats.
    That's my criticism too. I like that Brie is open about being a feminist and an advocate for equal rights for minorities. Some actors and actresses are afraid to voice their opinions and I like that Brie is very open about hers. Plus she is a complete geek in real life, sheesh she dresses up to go to Star Wars events. First big name actress that I have ever seen that likes to cosplay star wars.

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    That's my criticism too. I like that Brie is open about being a feminist and an advocate for equal rights for minorities. Some actors and actresses are afraid to voice their opinions and I like that Brie is very open about hers. Plus she is a complete geek in real life, sheesh she dresses up to go to Star Wars events. First big name actress that I have ever seen that likes to cosplay star wars.
    It's the paradox of celebrity. Fans want their opinion on social and political issues, but the ones who disagree throw massive hissy fits. But if they silent, fans complain they don't connect with the common man anymore.