View Poll Results: Do you believe Dylan Farrow?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 62.50%
  • No

7 14.58%
  • I don't know

11 22.92%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    While it is one thing to get into a relationship with someone a lot younger than you, I think it would feel weird to get involved with someone you personally knew back when they were a child. If you never met the person before they were grown up, it's a lot different.

But there's a lot of questionable stuff. I haven't watched his movies but some say the pattern of his movies is older man/ younger woman. Then again, he is still married to this woman who he married when she was nineteen so it clearly seems to have worked as a marriage.
    controlling and/or abusive relationships always work for the controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Oh, I've never claimed that I want to give him the benefit of the doubt because I am such a fan - that doesn't change the fact that there is, in fact, reasonable doubt about his guilt. My being a fan doesn't make him innocent but it doesn't necessarily make his guilty either.

And I'm sorry there's no way that the power we refer to when we talk about Weinstein has much in common at all with Woody Allen being a respected filmmaker. This information has been out in the open for decades and the actors that chose to work with him chose to do so with the full knowledge of these allegations. They weren't coerced, manipulated or forced to do so and they weren't coerced, manipulated or forced to keep quiet, either. The fact that some of them have suddenly turned around to denounce him, despite no actual new evidence coming to light, just screams - and please pardon the horrible expression but it fits here - "virtue signaling". What, did they all just suddenly grow a conscience a quarter of a century after the fact? Did they really have no idea about the allegations against him that were, even then, at least the second most famous thing about him.

None of this makes him innocent or guilty - we simply don't know - but, despite his alleged crimes being even worse than Weinstein's, the evidence against him isn't anywhere near as strong and suggesting that he ever wielded so much as 1% of Weinstein's power is, frankly, dishonest.
    i've never watched a Woody Allen movie. i've known of Woody Allen since i was a teen. he's old hollywood. there is a structure in place to protect old hollywood. it would be bad for a lot of people if Woody Allen were every really labeled as a sexual predator. the structure will make it so that there is always wiggle room to say that it's all made up. it's the same structure that protected Harvey Weinstein. the latter was cast out of the structure because there was already too much attention being placed on it; a sacrificial lamb in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    i've never watched a Woody Allen movie. i've known of Woody Allen since i was a teen. he's old hollywood. there is a structure in place to protect old hollywood. it would be bad for a lot of people if Woody Allen were every really labeled as a sexual predator. the structure will make it so that there is always wiggle room to say that it's all made up. it's the same structure that protected Harvey Weinstein. the latter was cast out of the structure because there was already too much attention being placed on it; a sacrificial lamb in a way.
    Allen is not "old Hollywood". He never worked in the Hollywood system or for a major studio. He has always been an independent film maker with his company making distribution deals.
    People here also don't seem to know the actual facts about his relationship with Soon-Yi. He was never her father or step father. I am inclined to believe Allen in this, but I don't think we will ever know for sure.

https://www.insider.com/woody-allen-...ip-kids-9-2018
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Allen is not "old Hollywood". He never worked in the Hollywood system or for a major studio. He has always been an independent film maker with his company making distribution deals.
    i think that you're really underestimating his pull. he has like 4 academy awards. he's a broadway guy too. it's a very long list of respected comedians who count Allen as their influence. he built himself a rep that makes him untouchable. just because it's not exactly the same as Weinstein doesn't make it any less relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    People here also don't seem to know the actual facts about his relationship with Soon-Yi. He was never her father or step father. I am inclined to believe Allen in this, but I don't think we will ever know for sure.

https://www.insider.com/woody-allen-...ip-kids-9-2018
    He is old Hollywood in the sense of his style of movies. Allen is a big hater of CGI in films. I don't think he even likes the classic cgi groundbreaking films like Jurassic park.

He knew soon yi as a child, its still creepy.

wallen.jpg

Allen also does not seem to understand that dylan and soon yi are sisters. how can he think it was ever okay to have a relationship with a girl who is also the sibling of his own legal children, one biological?
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-13-2019 at 04:47 AM.

BANNED

Some would say not to question Woody Allen’s film work, but it seems coincidental of how many of his films has young women involved with older men and it isn’t like a gold digger moments, but a genuine romantic relationship story, that is something similar to Woody Allen’s current lifestyle. So yeah he’s guilty on that front of marriage to his stepdaughter. Shouldn’t that have been illegal here in the USA ?

Swiss army nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Some would say not to question Woody Allen’s film work, but it seems coincidental of how many of his films has young women involved with older men and it isn’t like a gold digger moments, but a genuine romantic relationship story, that is something similar to Woody Allen’s current lifestyle. So yeah he’s guilty on that front of marriage to his stepdaughter. Shouldn’t that have been illegal here in the USA ?
    I agree. I think it was Matt Fraction who, when asked about Woody Allen, talked about trying to separate art from artist. He went on to point out that in the case of Allen, it's impossible - the stuff in his personal life is inextricably linked to his art, which is filled with relationships between older men and much younger women.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I've never seen a Woody Allen film because his work didn't appeal to me, and that was before learning about the messy stuff in his private life. That said, I'm inclined to think he's guilty, but would prefer to see more evidence.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by greatmetropolitan View Post
    I agree. I think it was Matt Fraction who, when asked about Woody Allen, talked about trying to separate art from artist. He went on to point out that in the case of Allen, it's impossible - the stuff in his personal life is inextricably linked to his art, which is filled with relationships between older men and much younger women.
    which, in itself, is kind of weird. i didn't know that Fraction had opined on Allen. but he is kind of known for pairing older characters with younger characters.

As others have pointed out, she was never his step-daughter. Even if she had been, that would have no longer been true once Allen and her mother were divorced although I don't think they were ever actually married.

I'm not defending the creepiness of it. Just saying I don't want laws saying A can't marry B because there is too much of an age difference or because of a nebulous relationship that isn't blood related.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    As others have pointed out, she was never his step-daughter. Even if she had been, that would have no longer been true once Allen and her mother were divorced although I don't think they were ever actually married.

I'm not defending the creepiness of it. Just saying I don't want laws saying A can't marry B because there is too much of an age difference or because of a nebulous relationship that isn't blood related.
    Its society's expectancy.Just because it is not illegal does not mean it is not frowned upon or questionable. Woody has addressed it though. Watch from 11.04. they asked him if he was aware of the creepiness or how controversial it was, he gives an off hand answer but at the same time, a very logical answer.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

But again, there's a gigantic difference between having a relationship with a much younger woman and molesting a child. In fact, there is absolutely no correlation between them whatsoever - which I would have thought would be obvious.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    But again, there's a gigantic difference between having a relationship with a much younger woman and molesting a child. In fact, there is absolutely no correlation between them whatsoever - which I would have thought would be obvious.
    from a distance, the only real difference is the age of the "much younger woman" in the first scenario. from what i gather, older men being with younger women is a common scenario in his movies. but not under age women and older males. so he, at least, knows where to draw the line in film (unlike Victor Salva). but it also means that he knows his personal situation is inappropriate. that said, i don't want or need Woody Allen to be guilty of anything. it wouldn't be good for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Beaddle View Post
    Its society's expectancy.Just because it is not illegal does not mean it is not frowned upon or questionable. Woody has addressed it though. Watch from 11.04. they asked him if he was aware of the creepiness or how controversial it was, he gives an off hand answer but at the same time, a very logical answer.

Good video and it comes down to either he's lying or she is. Either he molested a child (in a house full of her relatives who already hated him and even the children had been indoctrinated to hate him) OR she was furious about his affair with Sunni (or however you spell it) and was determined to destroy him and indoctrinate a child into believing she had been molested, a child who as an adult still believes it and thinks she remembers it. Apparently, Farrow's own daughter, Sunni, thinks it's in character for her to do something like that.

But there's another issue aside from Allen and his guilt or innocence: societal expectations. Societal expectations are that a relationship between people of drastically different ages is sick, weird and disgusting. Yes and plenty of people still deep down feel exactly the same about gay relationships and relationships between people of different races, etc. So, to me, "societal expectations" are the problem of the people with the bigotry problem.
    Power with Girl is better.

I think he is innocent of not being guilty.
    I have no beef with Vegans