Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

[QUOTE=Ragged Maw;4563526]FOUR F**KING PAGES IN, and absolutely NO mention (until right now) of Eurythmics!? I thought cocaine raised you all better than this!

.......And no, I wont post Sweet Dreams as that would be too predictable. That being said.....

I've come to appreciate some of their songs more as an adult than I did as a kid. That said, some of their songs had such potential and then diverted off into blech during the chorus.

For instance, I love Thorn in my Side until it hits the chorus and then its just dreck. Same thing with When Tomorrow Comes.

Astonishing Member CellarDweller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ragged Maw View Post
    FOUR F**KING PAGES IN, and absolutely NO mention (until right now) of Eurythmics!? I thought cocaine raised you all better than this!

.......And no, I wont post Sweet Dreams as that would be too predictable. That being said.....

I always liked Eurythmics, this was my fave from them.

The song that captures the 80's "sound" best to me is probably Head Over Heels. I mainly associate the bands the were on MTV all the time starting in the early 80's when my tv was always tuned there. Tears For Fears, Duran Duran, and the Fixx are all examples of how I would describe 80's popular, mainstream music. Under The Milky Way, How Soon Is Now, Love My Way, etc. are unmistakably 80's music. Around 1984, Hair Metal/Glam Rock brought heavy rock music back to popularity, and love or hate them, Motley Crue, Ozzy Osbourne, and Van Halen did their most memorable work in the 80's. Poison, Ratt, Whitesnake, and a bunch of similar bands sold a ton of records and made a lot of money. KISS & Aerosmith revitalized their careers after falling to the depths. The Rolling Stones released their last great album, Tattoo You, in the 1980's. Blondie released Rapture in 1981, and a trend started not too long after. I realize I'm rambling away from the OP question, but all this music is coming to me as I'm typing. I'll stick with my original answer, but this little trip down memory lane reminded me how many different kinds of awesome music came out back then, and how lucky I was to be 15-25 years old during those years. What a time to grow up!

Talking Heads

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by CellarDweller View Post
    I always liked Eurythmics, this was my fave from them.
    No way that band doesn't embody the Eighties. If a GTA: Vice City sequel is ever made, more of their material needs to be on the in-game radio stations.

FOUR F**KING PAGES IN, and absolutely NO mention (until right now) of Eurythmics!? I thought cocaine raised you all better than this!

She's actually a very accomplished singer. Quite like her.

New Order and Flock of Seagulls

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Magik View Post
    New Order and Flock of Seagulls
    Ah of course. "Blue Monday" and "I Ran" respectively are the songs you hear madly often in films where flashbacks or time travel back to the 80s are involved.

Anyways, another familiar artist for the thread: Pat Benatar

Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar

Ah of course. "Blue Monday" and "I Ran" respectively are the songs you hear madly often in films where flashbacks or time travel back to the 80s are involved.
    Those, or "I Melt With You" by Modern English, which might be the one-hit wonder of the decade.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    Those, or "I Melt With You" by Modern English, which might be the one-hit wonder of the decade.
    Oh christ, yes! Even for the 80s, the instruments are awkward. The singer sounds like he barely gives a ****. Yet once the chorus hits, you cant help but hum along.

Quote Originally Posted by Nine Crocodile View Post
    Blue Monday is not New Order's biggest hit though, its actually its 3rd highest charting single of the 80's. It gets touted as the best selling 12" single of all time but thats pretty self limiting by the whole 12" thing. True Faith is their biggest 80's hit peaking at #32. Regret in the 90's would peak at #28.

That said they are a group whose legacy, much like Led Zeppelin, is not defined by singles success but rather by legacy, influence, and how their songs have lasted through the decades.

They very much are one of the biggest Rock and Roll Hall of Fame snubs of all time when you consider their work as Joy Division and how they then rose from the ashes of it to be New Order without missing a beat and becoming better IMO.

I feel like this is the most '80s song ever.

Duran Duran is also pretty high up there, but do they best represent the entire '80s? Hard to say.

It's either INXS or Whitney Houston for me.
    Pull List:

Marvel Comics: Venom, X-Men, Black Panther, Captain America, Eternals, Warhammer 40000.
    DC Comics: The Last God
    Image: Decorum

SilverBogan

Best decade of music.
    The least discriminating and more diverse than any other, before or after.
    Zil Sesleri
    Last edited by SilverBogan; 02-25-2020 at 08:24 PM.