Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 76
  1. #46
    Oni of the Ash Moon Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Here, for now.
    Posts
    949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Attila Kiss View Post
    Best decade of music.
    The least discriminating and more diverse than any other, before or after.
    It also resulted in lots of One-Hit-Wonders, which makes it hard to provide a singular answer to your question.
    Many one hit wonders, John Parr's St Elmo's fire comes to mind when I think about 80s one hit wonders
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

  2. #47
    Oni of the Ash Moon Ronin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Here, for now.
    Posts
    949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    The never ending storrrrrieeee.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 09-11-2019 at 07:17 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

  3. #48
    Astonishing Member dancj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,781

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SquirrelMan View Post
    Elton's is called "Don't let the Sun go Down on Me."
    I just keep learning

  4. #49
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,880

    Default

    Just occurred to me....Huey Lewis & The News. They had lots of hits in the 80's, including "The Power of Love" from the Back To the Future soundtrack.

    Oh, yeah, speaking of Prince, he closed out the 80's with songs from the soundtrack from Batman.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 09-12-2019 at 01:28 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  5. #50
    older Mormel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    1,794

    Default

    The Huey Lewis song is titled "The Power Of Love"... not to be confused with either the Frankie Goes To Hollywood song by the same name, or the Jennifer Rush song, both of which were released in the previous year 1984.

    Another fun trivia tidbit: Huey Lewis & The News' song dropped out of the Dutch Top 40 in the same week that Jennifer Rush' song entered the chart (2 November 1985).
    Last edited by Mormel; 09-11-2019 at 03:26 PM.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

  6. #51
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mormel View Post
    The Huey Lewis song is titled "The Power Of Love"... not to be confused with either the Frankie Goes To Hollywood song by the same name, or the Jennifer Rush song, both of which were released in the previous year 1984.

    Another fun trivia tidbit: Huey Lewis & The News' song dropped out of the Dutch Top 40 in the same week that Jennifer Rush' song entered the chart (2 November 1985).
    WHOOPS! I just noticed! Thanks for bringing that to my attention!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  7. #52
    Genndy's Primal 2019 Samurai Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,184

    Default

    Gary Numan was who I thought of instantly. I feel like he played a key role in the early New Wave hits of the 80s and later experimented with different genres of music.
    Top 10 Favorite Comics as of September 2019
    Image: Unnatural, Isola, Monstress
    Marvel: Magnificent Ms. Marvel
    IDW: Samurai Jack: Lost Worlds
    Other: Chuck Mullin's Bird Brain, Huda F's "Yes, I'm Hot in This," Nathan W. Pyle's Strange Planet, Dirk Manning & K. Lynn Smith's Hope, Samurai Grandpa

  8. #53
    New old guy Surf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    2,642

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Ronin View Post
    Many one hit wonders, John Parr's St Elmo's fire comes to mind when I think about 80s one hit wonders
    Now that's a separate discussion.

    So, if we were to put the top 20 1-hit wonders of the 80's, into a battle arena, drop down a single Klingon-ish type weapon in the middle and the strongest song at the end would get to represent the 80's in a first contact, montage sizzle reel of human civilization sent out to alien life... Well I wold definitely be in the battle dome with a poster board sign pulling for St. Elmo's Fire.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

  9. #54
    Constant in Opal Nine Crocodile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    342

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    Gary Numan was who I thought of instantly. I feel like he played a key role in the early New Wave hits of the 80s and later experimented with different genres of music.
    He's an underrated innovator. It was like it wan't cool to admit you liked his music. I just tend to place him in the late '70s because that's when he had his biggest successes.

  10. #55
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    13,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Just occurred to me....Huey Lewis & The News. They had lots of hits in the 80's, including "The Power of Love" from the Back To the Future soundtrack.

    Oh, yeah, speaking of Prince, he closed out the 80's with songs from the soundtrack from Batman.
    I also like "I Want a New Drug", "Heart and Soul", and "Heart of Rock and Roll"

    I think they had a a retro sound, almost from the 1950s or 60s esp when they would be backed up with the Tower of Power horns group. I guess that was some of the appeal of the 1980's ....there was a lot of variety out there.

  11. #56
    Swollen Member GOLGO 13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    1,441

    Default

    80s was one of the best era's for music and movies. MJ and Madonna were two of the biggest singers in the 80s like them or not! You don't think of the 80s without those two singers.


    Had a soft spot for this movie theme also!

    Yes, unfortunately both of them turned out to be abhorrent human beings but they are 80's trash.

    The song turned out to be the only saving grace from MM: BeyondThunderdome.

  12. #57
    Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    18,880

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Maiden View Post
    I also like "I Want a New Drug", "Heart and Soul", and "Heart of Rock and Roll"

    I think they had a a retro sound, almost from the 1950s or 60s esp when they would be backed up with the Tower of Power horns group. I guess that was some of the appeal of the 1980's ....there was a lot of variety out there.
    Don't forget "Bad Is Bad" and "Hip To Be Square". They turned out a lot of cool songs.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

  13. #58
    Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Latverian Embassy
    Posts
    13,292

    Default

    Oh yeah, those too. I still have the "Sports" CD somewhere in my car. I also liked the one that was dedicated to Viet Nam veterans called "Walking on a Thin Line"

  14. #59
    Extraordinary Member PaulBullion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,617

    Default

    Gotta be Cameo. They actually celebrated the death of real drum sets on their first electronic only beats album in the liner notes!

    "How does the Green Goblin have anything to do with Herpes?" - The Dying Detective

    Hillary was right!

  15. #60
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Posts
    984

    Default

    FOUR F**KING PAGES IN, and absolutely NO mention (until right now) of Eurythmics!? I thought cocaine raised you all better than this!

    .......And no, I wont post Sweet Dreams as that would be too predictable. That being said.....

    Last edited by Ragged Maw; 09-12-2019 at 03:01 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •