Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default How Would You Describe Hawkman's Personality?

6b60c3a439931c90ec438a9b5c1914f9.jpg

How do you view The Winged Wonder?

On average? Either way too bland or way too barbaric.

You have to have a balance.
    The guy’s a noble savage, like Tarzan. He should, realistically, have no problems hobnobbing at a museum fundraising gala in one scene, and going toe to toe w. some creature or villain in the next, brandishing a bloody mace.

Add to that his historical AND alien history to draw on? You’ve got a rich character, who can always bring aspects of one genre he’s a part of to another.
    When in space he can draw on his earth roots. When dealing w. history he can bring a modern sensibility. During more traditional hero/villain encounters he can bring a little bit of everything; “I was fighting ppl like you a hundred years ago”, “your tech is impressive, we teach children physics on Thanagar using the same thing”.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 09-05-2019 at 03:00 PM.

BANNED

Savage.

In all seriousness my favorite take was Johns New52. Hell I liked him asking if they wanted Ocean Master to be taken in dead or alive. I found that scene will him covered in blood and Vibe scooting away hilarious. So that’s my version of him. I wouldn’t say he’s doesn’t have a certain class to him though maybe some perfect mixture of both Wolverine and Black Panther. Savage with a royalty type presence to him

Edit: that Tarzan mention is perfect actually

I like the silver and bronze age space-cop version, but a description of him would be completely inaccurate to later versions, I think.

Schizophrenic.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    Savage.

In all seriousness my favorite take was Johns New52. Hell I liked him asking if they wanted Ocean Master to be taken in dead or alive. I found that scene will him covered in blood and Vibe scooting away hilarious. So that’s my version of him. I wouldn’t say he’s doesn’t have a certain class to him though maybe some perfect mixture of both Wolverine and Black Panther. Savage with a royalty type presence to him

Edit: that Tarzan mention is perfect actually
    This is what I think of when I think of a well written HM...:

Where even his peers take a step back, and he’s wearing the civilized part of himself like an ill fitting coat.

I think Hawkamn is a very reserved and pensive man with a savage side to him, and he projects a very confident and in-control attitude towards those around him to try and hide his more violent leanings or the inner sadness that is also a part of him.

Yeah, and/but when that savage side comes out it comes OUT.

Not sure of his power set exactly, but if he was to get an accelerated healing factor, I've always thought he was a brawler and should be DC's version of Wolverine. Hopefully this would help him garner the respect he deserves.

BANNED

ISTP - Basically Wolverine or Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    Schizophrenic.

Almost this. Just think about it, how many lives hás he lives? Hundreds, with the Venditti origin maybe thousands.
    How many belief systems and moral codes he must havê learned and follow? He isn't born remembering every life he lived, it comes to him later, and while I imagine that a large portion o who he is at the core remains the same, he is raised by the time, place and family he is born. Imagine if he is born in a family of career criminals and educated to be one of them?
    He is the perfect case of nature vs nurture.

Incredible Member

Here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. And he's all out of bubble gum.

Well, you've got a whole lot of variance here. Hawkman's been written in so many different ways over the decades he makes Wonder Woman and Superman look stable and consistent in their characterization. I mean, at least those two have been the same person across all their publication history, Carter's got some wildly different origins and personalities in the overall mix.

I guess I'd say Hawkman (in a very general sense, not strictly looking at any single version) is a man of extremes and many hidden (and not so hidden) depths. He's got a fierce temper and a short fuse, and this is perhaps his most consistent personality trait in the modern era. But he's also a intelligence, educated person capable of long-term planning and creating complex stratagems. He's capable of spending months researching something, more months digging in inhospitable regions searching for that thing, and he'll suffer environmental hardships without a word of complaint, and indeed barely notice the discomfort).....for someone who can fly off the handle and go into a rage so quickly he's remarkably patient and capable of focusing on a particular goal (much like a real hawk I suppose). There's an inherent nobility in Hawkman, but it's the nobility of stereotyped/pop culture Native Americans and Africans; the noble savage. His justice is swift, to the point, and while it can be brutal it's rarely excessive (I mean, if you're trying to kill him you deserve that cracked skull, but he's not killing jay walkers). Hawkman's not as....culturally refined....as some of his peers, he's more than a little rough around the edges, but his judgement is rarely off.

Carter is able to engage in intellectual debate on a variety of topics, especially history (where he's likely the world's leading historian/archaeologist) but also politics (he's been established as right leaning in the past, which is more political than most heroes and also marks him as one of the few republicans in the heroic community), sociology (both on earth and on alien worlds), and law (especially if you run with the space cop angle). I imagine he's fascinating to talk to; his hands-on experience cannot be rivaled and there's likely damn few topics he doesn't have *some* experience with. But I think Hawkman is not a person who suffers fools, and doesn't waste much time on being gentle about it. The man's immortal, but seems to have no time for bullsh*t. So while he can engage in debate, he's perhaps not the best at it. I'd guess current day political arguments would have him breaking his chair in frustration.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

A winged Knight of the Round Table. He is very much a "might in the service of right", ethical character who will not hesitate to go medieval on those who have it coming. I've liked pretty much all* versions of him, but that is my favorite.

* Except the New 52 version.

Incredible Member

he smash people faces with his mace, he's basicallly a brawler brute.

not that much different from the uncomprosing hawkman depicted in 'destiny's hand'