Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

1. Spectacular Spider-Man
    2. Spider-Man PS4
    3. Raime Spider-Man
    4. Webb/Garfield Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I feel like a lot of people look on the show with a ton of nostalgia. Not totally unwarranted, as the portrayals of the villains were pretty solid as well as Peter's voice. But I don't know: I think someone else mentioned how much they really adapted and changed from the source material for little to no reason. One of the biggest being Electro being Red Skull's son (spoilers for a 20+ year old show lol), and Mary Jane being a Hydro-Clone (that was really strange), plus Green Goblin showing up

after Hobgoblin, and so on and so on. It was just weird! But I enjoyed it as a kid, that's for sure.
    MJ wasn't a Hydro-Clone. Rather she was cloned and said clone was given Hydro-Man's powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The other problem with that series was that it was heavily serialized. That's not in theory a bad thing and when done well (like Justice League Unlimited in the final three seasons) it can be magic, but it wasn't done well in the Fox show. Episodes bled into each other and often in the most clunky way. To the point that nothing felt satisfying. Resolution for one plot and subplot didn't have room to breathe since immediately the show moved to some other future plot and it was jarringly done.

Weisman's Spectacular run also had serialization but it was something more carefully built up, and individual episodes could be appreciated on its own, and even if it got cancelled, both seasons ended well and was fairly satisfying in my view.

A venom symbiote on the Moon doesn't have any sense of grandeur and mystery to it as opposed to Peter finding it on a smorgasbord world forged by a god that can give you anything one desires. And in any case eventually they adapted Secret Wars anyway for the little it was worth.

And I disagree...no adaptation has ever beaten or exceeded Venom's introduction in the comics in ASM#299-300.
    It's an adaptation and doesn't need to follow the comics 100%;. Also, the bolded was a retcon introduced decades after the symbiote first appeared.

Let's not forget that the only reason for the symbiote's existence was because a fan thought a black-suited Spider-Man would look good. They didn't even come up with an explanation for why it had all those powers until much later when they wanted to get rid of it.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-06-2019 at 12:11 AM.