Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

1. Spectacular Spider-Man
    2. Spider-Man PS4
    3. Raime Spider-Man
    4. Webb/Garfield Spider-Man

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    I feel like a lot of people look on the show with a ton of nostalgia. Not totally unwarranted, as the portrayals of the villains were pretty solid as well as Peter's voice. But I don't know: I think someone else mentioned how much they really adapted and changed from the source material for little to no reason. One of the biggest being Electro being Red Skull's son (spoilers for a 20+ year old show lol), and Mary Jane being a Hydro-Clone (that was really strange), plus Green Goblin showing up

after Hobgoblin, and so on and so on. It was just weird! But I enjoyed it as a kid, that's for sure.
    MJ wasn't a Hydro-Clone. Rather she was cloned and said clone was given Hydro-Man's powers.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The other problem with that series was that it was heavily serialized. That's not in theory a bad thing and when done well (like Justice League Unlimited in the final three seasons) it can be magic, but it wasn't done well in the Fox show. Episodes bled into each other and often in the most clunky way. To the point that nothing felt satisfying. Resolution for one plot and subplot didn't have room to breathe since immediately the show moved to some other future plot and it was jarringly done.

Weisman's Spectacular run also had serialization but it was something more carefully built up, and individual episodes could be appreciated on its own, and even if it got cancelled, both seasons ended well and was fairly satisfying in my view.

A venom symbiote on the Moon doesn't have any sense of grandeur and mystery to it as opposed to Peter finding it on a smorgasbord world forged by a god that can give you anything one desires. And in any case eventually they adapted Secret Wars anyway for the little it was worth.

And I disagree...no adaptation has ever beaten or exceeded Venom's introduction in the comics in ASM#299-300.
    It's an adaptation and doesn't need to follow the comics 100%;. Also, the bolded was a retcon introduced decades after the symbiote first appeared.

Let's not forget that the only reason for the symbiote's existence was because a fan thought a black-suited Spider-Man would look good. They didn't even come up with an explanation for why it had all those powers until much later when they wanted to get rid of it.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-06-2019 at 12:11 AM.

Venoms TAS appearance was so good they took elements out of it for EVERY subsequent appearance in media, Ultimate comics and MAYBE 616 ?

Astonishing Member

‘Into the Spiderverse’ movie

Quote Originally Posted by Electricmastro View Post
    Gotta give a shout out to Earth-18119. After the bad taste of One More Day, this was like mouthwash that cleansed the bad taste out.

Until Nick Spencer’s ongoing run, the Renew Your Vows book(s) were the only Spidey material i’d read w. enthusiasm in years, so yeah, great pick on your part imo.

Best takes? Movies sans the Mark Webb ones (so Raimi, MCU, Spider-Verse), Spectacular cartoon, Ultimate comics. Also really fond of RYV and Spider-Girl, but I see those more as branch offs of 616 then their own thing, if that makes any sense.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The Spectacular Spider-Man Animated Series. Nothing else comes close.
    I'd agree with this. It's funny how it started the trend of going back to Spider-Man's roots as a high school student in other media, but unlike other adaptations they didn't feel the need to overemphasize how "he's just a kid" (Perhaps having no adult heroes around helped?). I'd say it is the ideal modernization of the early years of Spidey (we can call it Spider-Man Year One as this series took place over a span of 7 months) as he's the hero we all love right out the gate. Also, stuff like Peter's problems were indeed his fault and weren't necessarily easy to get out of, like his love life for example (it would have been too easy to make Liz horrible, but they didn't and it made you feel that Peter was in the wrong)

While restricted to Spider-Man's corner of the Marvel universe it DEFINITELY made the most of it and used minor characters that would have never seen the light of day outside of comics (do you really think we will ever see someone like Agent Stephanie Briggs from the FBI over someone from S.H.E.I.L.D?). They actually built up JJJ's hatred of Spider-Man rather than having him hate the webhead out the gate, as he showed indifference toward Spidey and thought he would be good to sell papers, and I can actually see him financing Spider Slayers and the like after what happened to his son. Even characters like Flash Thompson and Liz Allan were properly fleshed out to the point that you wanted to see more of them.

Unfortunately the show was killed just as it was getting to the GOOD stuff (Hobgoblin, Scorpion, Gang Wars, etc)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post
    I'd agree with this. It's funny how it started the trend of going back to Spider-Man's roots as a high school student in other media, but unlike other adaptations they didn't feel the need to overemphasize how "he's just a kid" (Perhaps having no adult heroes around helped?).
    I think it's because, first and foremost, they wanted to capture the feel of the 1960s Lee/Ditko/Romita Spider-Man, and bring it into a modern world setting. In the original comics, nobody really knew Spider-Man's age, so they didn't treat him like a kid.

A venom symbiote on the Moon doesn't have any sense of grandeur and mystery to it as opposed to Peter finding it on a smorgasbord world forged by a god that can give you anything one desires. And in any case eventually they adapted Secret Wars anyway for the little it was worth.

And I disagree...no adaptation has ever beaten or exceeded Venom's introduction in the comics in ASM#299-300.
    Secret Wars wasn't a Spider-Man story. A godlike being making a bunch of super-heroes and super-villains fight each other on an alien planet doesn't mesh well with the themes and premises of the Spider-Man series, so it's an off-brand backstory for what would become one of the most recognizable villains of the series. With the benefit of hindsight, it's better to tie the discovery of the symbiote into the Spider-Man mythology.

When a villain's motivation is that they feel wronged by the hero and want revenge, the impact is stronger if we see it unfold. The Eddie Brock character of the comics came out of nowhere, had never interacted with Peter Parker or Spider-Man before, and had a very weak motivation.

The cartoon had setup, payoff, and made it cohesive to Spider-Man's world. Then The Spectacular Spider-Man did it even better.
    Last edited by Lee; 09-06-2019 at 03:41 PM.

Astonishing Member

It’s funny to think that Venom was going to be a fun little one-off character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Secret Wars wasn't a Spider-Man story. A godlike being making a bunch of super-heroes and super-villains fight each other on an alien planet doesn't mesh well with the themes and premises of the Spider-Man series, so it's an off-brand backstory for what would become one of the most recognizable villains of the series. With the benefit of hindsight, it's better to tie the discovery of the symbiote into the Spider-Man mythology.
    The Symbiote is an Alien entity. As it is, it's an off-kilter and slightly unnatural figure in Spider-Man's corner. That's the case in 616 and it's the case on Fox Cartoon. Most importantly, it's an alien entity that Spider-Man brought to earth.

For the Symbiote arc to work you need to establish why Spider-Man would bond with an alien being and bring it to earth. The Symbiote coming from Spider-Man's time in battleworld does that. The Symbiote aided Spider-Man when he was trapped in an alien, unfamiliar, and hostile environment. The Symbiote coming from some rando moon expedition doesn't do that. Because now it isn't Spider-Man who brought it to earth. The situation that leads Peter to bonding with the symbiote is more circuitous and confusing.

Doing Venom in Spider-Man is hard without Secret Wars and without the shared universe. It has been done well in Spectacular and in Tom Hardy's Venom movie, especially given both those movies had all kinds of restrictions in what material it could use. The Fox cartoon though had access to the Shared Universe and was a more cartoony and sci-fi centric series so it has fewer excuses. Not to mention that it introduced the idea of the Symbiote causing a split personality in Peter which has infected other takes on the character. The Symbiote didn't do that in the comics.

When a villain's motivation is that they feel wronged by the hero and want revenge, the impact is stronger if we see it unfold.
    Only when the motivation has some meat to it, and isn't misplaced and exaggerated resentment which was the case for Michelinie's original story with Brock.

The Symbiote is an Alien entity. As it is, it's an off-kilter and slightly unnatural figure in Spider-Man's corner. That's the case in 616 and it's the case on Fox Cartoon. Most importantly, it's an alien entity that Spider-Man brought to earth.

For the Symbiote arc to work you need to establish why Spider-Man would bond with an alien being and bring it to earth. The Symbiote coming from Spider-Man's time in battleworld does that. The Symbiote aided Spider-Man when he was trapped in an alien, unfamiliar, and hostile environment. The Symbiote coming from some rando moon expedition doesn't do that. Because now it isn't Spider-Man who brought it to earth. The situation that leads Peter to bonding with the symbiote is more circuitous and confusing.
    The only thing you need to keep about the symbiote is that it's an alien from outer space. How it gets to Earth can vary and the Fox cartoon's version of events is actually less circuitous and confusing than Peter being kidnapped along with several other superheroes and supervillains to participate in a war on another planet for some cosmic jerk's amusement.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HypnoHustler View Post
    ‘Into the Spiderverse’ movie
    . Into The Spider-Verse would be my choice. Why?.Into The Spider-Verse finally showed Pete in the movies as an adult not as a teenager or a man-child ( see Raimi's Spider-Man 3). The other two places that were exceptionally well done were RYV ( Slott and Conway) and the Thomas/Lee newspaper strip. What really is important ( besides the story and animation) is that movie destroy's the logic behind Clone Saga and ( especially) OMD/BND. Why? 1: it showed Pete as an adult. 2: It shows that people will support a teenage Spider-Man that does NOT have to be Peter Parker and maybe just maybe, the success of the movie ( coupled with support of RYV, the newspaper strip and Dan Slott being replaced by Spencer) might lead to the restoration of the marriage?
    Last edited by NC_Yankee; 09-08-2019 at 07:34 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    . Into The Spider-Verse would be my choice. Why?.Into The Spider-Verse finally showed Pete in the movies as an adult not as a teenager or a man-child ( see Raimi's Spider-Man 3). The other two places that were exceptionally well done were RYV ( Slott and Conway) and the Thomas/Lee newspaper strip. What really is important ( besides the story and animation) is that movie destroy's the logic behind Clone Saga and ( especially) OMD/BND. Why? 1: it showed Pete as an adult. 2: It shows that people will support a teenage Spider-Man that does NOT have to be Peter Parker and maybe just maybe, the success of the movie ( coupled with support of RYV, the newspaper strip and Dan Slott being replaced by Spencer) might lead to the restoration of the marriage?
    If you mean Spider-Man gets married again rather than another retcon that would destroy the Marvel Universe again, then I’m all for it.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    ( coupled with support of RYV, the newspaper strip and Dan Slott being replaced by Spencer) might lead to the restoration of the marriage?
    Renew Your Vows was cancelled, the newspaper strip has ended and gone into reprint and the writers don't have a say on the matter.

If they re-marry Peter and MJ, it won't be for any of those reasons.

Secret Wars is bad and Spider-Man's supporting cast includes an astronaut.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Secret Wars is bad and Spider-Man's supporting cast includes an astronaut.
    Whoa, did you just dis a classic story?