Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Amazing Member

Default Legion Of Super-Heroes: Millennium #1 - Spoilers

I didn't see a thread started for this - let me know if I missed it.

I'm interested in what others thought of this. I have to say I was not expecting anything like this, and sadly, I don't mean that in a good way. I avoided any previews or speculation on this as I usually do with something I'm eagerly awaiting. The art was good for the most part though no wow factor for me. Would not have priced this at $5 - I read it in about eight minutes once I figured out...

Oh, it's going to be Rose/Thorn in different time periods

Should I assume that she will be a member of the LSH? Though not if she's "cured", I guess. I'll give it another read maybe.

If I get the next one, it'll be after knowing more about what will be in it.

I liked it, personnaly. I think it gets a lot of unfair hate because people just wanted the Legion and don't give a **** about Rose and Thorn. Which is kind of stupid. It wad advertised since a long time ago that we fould follow up an immortal character from the present to the 31st Century. Obviously the Legion won't appear.

But as an exploration of her character throughout the ages, I find the issue really enjoyable. When even a character as brutal as Thorn lose it and cry because she doesn't know what happens to her, that is powerful.

I also don't have a problem with the infamous "Bendis speech" because I usually feels that his characters speak like normal peoples do in certain situation : they stutter, search for their words, hesitate, when stressed, for instance.

Of course it's not perfect, if you're like me and only have a weak general knowledge of the DC futures, you won't understand everything (like, in Kamandi, I don't know why they are fighting for Superman's costume, and what it became afterwards, etc.). It also have a slightly disjointed feels because of the ellipse, but, honestly, I don't think it was avoidable with the concept they used. We would have needed dozens of issues of Rose and Thorn living through the centuries to avoid it, not two.

Overall, I would give it a 08/10. It decided me to buy the LoSH books in paper instead of just Comixology to be able to re-read them all whenever I want, at the very least, and I'm all the more eagerly awaiting the series now.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

A pretty ingenious storytelling deceive that allows a thousand years to be covered as one character arc, but the focus and momentum aren't as tight as they should be for the fairly simple yet ambitious idea.

But the book's central idea, the battle against cynicism and hopelessness in one relateable person's soul is both topical and sweet on its own. The book shines brightest when Thorn speaks to Terry. Their conversation provides the backbone for this whole book, and allows all of the other sections to have cohesion.

I imagine the next issue will focus better and the whole thing will read stronger as one package. An oversized issue may have been in order here. But for its flaws, it doesn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of it. Also, all of the artist were killin it pretty hard. Fantastic.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    I liked it, personnaly. I think it gets a lot of unfair hate because people just wanted the Legion and don't give a **** about Rose and Thorn. Which is kind of stupid. It wad advertised since a long time ago that we fould follow up an immortal character from the present to the 31st Century. Obviously the Legion won't appear.
    Then putting the Legion's name in the title makes little sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post
    Of course it's not perfect, if you're like me and only have a weak general knowledge of the DC futures, you won't understand everything (like, in Kamandi, I don't know why they are fighting for Superman's costume, and what it became afterwards, etc.). It also have a slightly disjointed feels because of the ellipse, but, honestly, I don't think it was avoidable with the concept they used. We would have needed dozens of issues of Rose and Thorn living through the centuries to avoid it, not two.
    I found the concept hard to follow when Byrne did it in Generations 3 and that had a dozen issues. I find it worse crushed into two issues. And yet I feel like Wolfman and Perez could have made the whole thousand years fit into Crisis as a single issue, back when writers didn't need six issues just to set up the origin of a character.

This might have worked better if Bendis had established Rose in his Superman/Leviathan stuff before making her the central character for this mini. I don't feel anything for Rose or Thorn before they became immortal and even less for them in snippets covering hundreds of years. The President Supergirl stuff was just a set-up for letting us know Rose is immortal … but we knew that going in.

I'm confused about the timeframe of Kara and Batman Beyond since I though Bruce was still alive when Terry took up the mantle but that would make the first two "stories" set within the current age of heroes/

Not sure how Kamandi fits in if humanity is dead then but back by the last story. I'm tempted to think Rose is moving between (hyper)timelines .

It was my biggest disappointment this week (unless Doomsday Clock takes the position when I finally get that issue).

The bendis speak was awful

It was everything I feared it would be. The LSH relaunch is doomed before it even begins.
    Give me Brexit or give me death.

I still have trouble with Bendis’ dialogue. One of the reasons I don’t like him as a writer. I think it would be kind of cool if Batman Beyond joined the Legion. I don’t know if Legion purists would like that idea though. Not sure what any of the story had to do with the Legion but everything new or renewed needs some kind of a build up I guess. I’ll give it a chance despite the fact that Bendis is writing it. Glad to see the Legion back even though there was no sign of them in this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    And that's why I won't waste my money on it.

i liked this issue. I'm overall enjoying what Bendis is doing in the Superman books, and am glad to see him using stuff from the Triangle Era like Rose & Thorn. I also dug the looks at the disparate futures here. Seeing a nod to Kamandi #29 in particular was fun- I really love the Messianic symbolism Superman's costume takes on in the Earth-AD timeline. The Bendis speech didn't bother me too much. in fact, since it's largely used with a character that doesn't really have a pre-defined speech pattern, Rose, it vibed well enough.

I liked the issue in a vacuum, but I'm a little disappointed that Legion of Super-Heroes was a bit of a misnomer. I get that this is going to tie into the proper Legion series, but as a big Legion fan, I'm kind of disappointed that their first title in almost seven years doesn't feature them at all. I'm already slightly concerned about Bendis spreading himself a bit too thin between this, Action, Superman, Young Justice and all of his creator owned work and this didn't really alleviate my concerns.

At least in Justice League and the JSA appearance, we got a last page appearance of the JSA.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    I couldn’t finish.

It was excruciating, lots of babble, going nowhere.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

In all likelihood, I'll either wait until it appears on the DC Universe service or maybe pick up a collection on Comixology if it goes on sale. Same for the actual LSH series. Of course, Bendis is like the Kevin Costner or Tommy Lee Jones of comics writers. Very good on the right property, varying levels of bad on other properties.

Can somebody explain how the earth was repopulated after kamandi? Tommy tomorrow is there and a lot of people l. I thought kamandi was the last boy?

Also what was the building that rose was going into in the kamandi section?