Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I, myself, am in that silent majority.

I like Bendis on street-level heroes, but don't like him much on super-powered heroes.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    I, myself, am in that silent majority.

I like Bendis on street-level heroes, but don't like him much on super-powered heroes.
    I think it's definitely easy to argue that street-level is more of Bendis' niche or what he feels most comfortable with.

I mean, he had the Avengers gravitate towards being a street-level team. His Guardians felt more like the space equivalent of a street-level team.

Fantastic Member mikelmcknight72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mortymantis View Post
    Can somebody explain how the earth was repopulated after kamandi?
    So hard to resist being a wise guy in response to that! :-)

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    That "Silent Majority" idea is true in many cases, but since no one is polling readers, it is also an unprovable point.

You can't look at a sales figure and decide that X% of the readers are luke warm, like Bendis here but not there or are Bendis-or-Die fans And if there are people reading who hate his take but are still reading then you can't tell want percentage they are either. You can assume the haters are only a small percentage of the readers, but without other evidence it could be that the happy fans are all posting and those disliking the title are less vocal.

Bendis' Superman is going a lot of places different from prior status quos. I suspect his approach is as likely to alienate a reader as to attract them depending on how they feel about the change. But I also suspect that the like/hate ratio is larger than most of the Rebirth stuff where we got a more traditional Superman.
    Yeah, Bendis is certainly taking bigger swings than Jurgens & Tomasi did during Rebirth, which was specifically designed to win-back disgruntled and lapsed fans.

I agree that it's always difficult to know what that "silent majority" actually thinks, but there's ample evidence that the vast majority of comic readers aren't posting about it online, which is a pretty strong indicator that they don't fall into more vocal love/hate camps. Like with most art, they like some of Bendis's stuff, and dislike others, but don't feel strongly enough about it to either rant or praise it online.

I also think the percentage of people who hate Bendis who are actually spending money on his comics is so incredibly low it's not even worth discussing. The percentage of readers consuming comics illegally vs how many are buying them legally these days cannot be understated. There's certainly a small percentage of fans who will buy a long-running comic like Superman or Action no matter what, even if they absolutely hate it, but Bendis still brings in solid numbers on comics where the main draw is him writing it.

This isn't to say that everyone who pays money for a Brian Bendis comic always loves everything he does, but the vitriol we see online about him is certainly not representative of the majority of his customers.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Has it gotten to the point where Bendis has becoming a polarizing writer? That fans either love his work or hate it with little to no middle ground?
    Maybe I'm an outlier but I like his DC stuff for the most part so far. I don't love it or hate it.