Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How different would the MCU be if Marvel had the film rights to everyone?

In an alternate world where Marvel never had to sell off the film rights to stave bankruptcy, and would launch the Marvel Cinematic Universe with the complete arsenal. Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, are here from the beginning, with all that it entails.

What changes?

People like to think the MCU was only good because their options were limited they were forced to be creative, but let's give Feige some credit. He knows and loves the source material, and it could be better with everything they had. The DCEU had complete access, but squandered it, because the people didn't know jack about it and only saw dollar signs.

I won't deny it would be different, but in what way?

As I think about it, there are some things to note.

• For one, they have mutants, and the X-Men side of the universe is absolutely massive. There would probably be the main X-Men series, spin-offs for stuff like New Mutants, solos like Wolverine, and so on.
    • Black Panther and Wakanda would be introduced through the Fantastic Four.
    • Spider-Man would debut much earlier, and perhaps would become a post-graduate like his normal comic status. He'd be closer to the FF than the Avengers.
    • The Coming of Galactus would definitely be a movie. It would give way to the cosmic side of Marvel, and if the Guardians of the Galaxy got in, they would be side characters and not headliners.
    • As a general rule, the lynchpin of the MCU wouldn't be the Avengers -- they'd be just another team. There would actually be two: Fantastic Four for the general MU, and X-Men for the mutant MU. The Avengers would be a dumping ground for misc heroes, like how they were in the comics.
    • Doctor Doom would be a massive recurring villain, perhaps even taking the spot of Thanos as the MCU big bad.
    • Likewise, we'd have Magneto being very important and bouncing between evil and good at a moment's notice.
    • Carol would be Ms. Marvel, and just another hero. She would not be Captain Marvel, shilled to no end as the greatest ever. Remember, this only came about because Marvel wanted a heroine to be their Wonder Woman that they had the film rights to back then. Beforehand, she was a B-lister, and the X-Women were the most widely celebrated heroines with Marvel treating them that way. Thus, in this world, there would be no "need" to act like Carol is the best.
    • Overall, more focused on teams and storylines, with individuals being a relative rarity.

Here's how I predict the first three phases would go, based on the MCU's release schedule.

Phase One

• Fantastic Four (the official starting point of the MCU, like how they are in the comics)
    • Spider-Man
    • X-Men (origin story, focused on the original team of Cyclops, Beast, Angel, Iceman and Jean Grey)
    • The Avengers (consisting of Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Ant-Man and the Wasp, teaming up to fight Loki)
    • Fantastic Four 2 (introduces Black Panther and Wakanda)
    • The Coming of Galactus (FF-focused crossover featuring everyone else in a limited role)

Phase Two

• Spider-Man 2
    • X-Men 2 (expanding to Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, and Kitty Pryde; becomes a school)
    • Captain America (prequel, largely the same as The First Avenger)
    • Fantastic Four 3
    • Avengers 2 (Captain America, Hawkeye, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Beast, Black Panther, and Ms. Marvel join the team; Hulk is gone at this point. Ultron is the main villain)
    • Infinity Gauntlet (building off of Fantastic Four, which adapts the story and features everyone, but the impact isn't quite as large as the MCU we know)

Phase Three

• X-Men 3 (expanding to Rogue, Gambit, Psylocke, Jubilee; Magneto reforms and joins)
    • Spider-Man 3
    • Doctor Strange (introducing the supernatural)
    • Wolverine (solo spin-off)
    • Avengers 3 (Vision joins the team, and the storyline takes elements of the Kree-Skrull War)
    • New Mutants (spin-off of X-Men, starring Magik, Wolfsbane, Mirage, Magma, Sunspot, Cannonball, Cypher and Warlock)
    • Daredevil (spin-off, he debuts first in a Spider-Man movie)
    • Days of Future Past (focused on Kitty Pryde, introduces Rachel Summers)
    • Silver Surfer (spinning out of Fantastic Four)
    • Future Foundation (featuring Spider-Man joining the team, and them expanding into an organization)
    • Secret Wars: Part 1 (adaptation of the 1984/2015 events, featuring everyone)
    • Secret Wars: Part 2 (the second part, where everyone is on Battleworld and has to contend with the Beyonder-powered Doctor Doom)

Then, I imagine Disney+ rolls around and we finally get shows for "lesser" characters like Iron Man and Thor.

Anyways, how do you imagine this alternate world going? I you have anything to add, please do so.

Discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    In an alternate world where Marvel never had to sell off the film rights to stave bankruptcy, and would launch the Marvel Cinematic Universe with the complete arsenal. Spider-Man, X-Men, Fantastic Four, are here from the beginning, with all that it entails.

What changes?

People like to think the MCU was only good because their options were limited they were forced to be creative, but let's give Feige some credit. He knows and loves the source material, and it could be better with everything they had. The DCEU had complete access, but squandered it, because the people didn't know jack about it and only saw dollar signs.

I won't deny it would be different, but in what way?

As I think about it, there are some things to note.

• For one, they have mutants, and the X-Men side of the universe is absolutely massive. There would probably be the main X-Men series, spin-offs for stuff like New Mutants, solos like Wolverine, and so on.
    • Black Panther and Wakanda would be introduced through the Fantastic Four.
    • Spider-Man would debut much earlier, and perhaps would become a post-graduate like his normal comic status. He'd be closer to the FF than the Avengers.
    • The Coming of Galactus would definitely be a movie. It would give way to the cosmic side of Marvel, and if the Guardians of the Galaxy got in, they would be side characters and not headliners.
    • As a general rule, the lynchpin of the MCU wouldn't be the Avengers -- they'd be just another team. There would actually be two: Fantastic Four for the general MU, and X-Men for the mutant MU. The Avengers would be a dumping ground for misc heroes, like how they were in the comics.
    • Doctor Doom would be a massive recurring villain, perhaps even taking the spot of Thanos as the MCU big bad.
    • Likewise, we'd have Magneto being very important and bouncing between evil and good at a moment's notice.
    • Carol would be Ms. Marvel, and just another hero. She would not be Captain Marvel, shilled to no end as the greatest ever. Remember, this only came about because Marvel wanted a heroine to be their Wonder Woman that they had the film rights to back then. Beforehand, she was a B-lister, and the X-Women were the most widely celebrated heroines with Marvel treating them that way. Thus, in this world, there would be no "need" to act like Carol is the best.
    • Overall, more focused on teams and storylines, with individuals being a relative rarity.

Here's how I predict the first three phases would go, based on the MCU's release schedule.

Phase One

• Fantastic Four (the official starting point of the MCU, like how they are in the comics)
    • Spider-Man
    • X-Men (origin story, focused on the original team of Cyclops, Beast, Angel, Iceman and Jean Grey)
    • The Avengers (consisting of Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, Ant-Man and the Wasp, teaming up to fight Loki)
    • Fantastic Four 2 (introduces Black Panther and Wakanda)
    • The Coming of Galactus (FF-focused crossover featuring everyone else in a limited role)

Phase Two

• Spider-Man 2
    • X-Men 2 (expanding to Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, and Kitty Pryde; becomes a school)
    • Captain America (prequel, largely the same as The First Avenger)
    • Fantastic Four 3
    • Avengers 2 (Captain America, Hawkeye, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch, Beast, Black Panther, and Ms. Marvel join the team; Hulk is gone at this point. Ultron is the main villain)
    • Infinity Gauntlet (building off of Fantastic Four, which adapts the story and features everyone, but the impact isn't quite as large as the MCU we know)

Phase Three

• X-Men 3 (expanding to Rogue, Gambit, Psylocke, Jubilee; Magneto reforms and joins)
    • Spider-Man 3
    • Doctor Strange (introducing the supernatural)
    • Wolverine (solo spin-off)
    • Avengers 3 (Vision joins the team, and the storyline takes elements of the Kree-Skrull War)
    • New Mutants (spin-off of X-Men, starring Magik, Wolfsbane, Mirage, Magma, Sunspot, Cannonball, Cypher and Warlock)
    • Daredevil (spin-off, he debuts first in a Spider-Man movie)
    • Days of Future Past (focused on Kitty Pryde, introduces Rachel Summers)
    • Silver Surfer (spinning out of Fantastic Four)
    • Future Foundation (featuring Spider-Man joining the team, and them expanding into an organization)
    • Secret Wars: Part 1 (adaptation of the 1984/2015 events, featuring everyone)
    • Secret Wars: Part 2 (the second part, where everyone is on Battleworld and has to contend with the Beyonder-powered Doctor Doom)

Then, I imagine Disney+ rolls around and we finally get shows for "lesser" characters like Iron Man and Thor.

Anyways, how do you imagine this alternate world going? I you have anything to add, please do so.

Discuss.
    Yea I don't like the idea of jumping right to Avengers . MCU did it right and took they're time. But yea I'd they had the Xmen/F4/Spider-Man that probaly doesnt happen.

This is alot of assuming I doubt the MCU gets off the ground with access to everything, Maybe at some point, they play with each other a little. But the MCU click and work because of the Avengers coming together and audience embracing that they are all in the same world. MCU is built on Avengers coming together and once they saw that work. They decide to do that on a larger scale. If Marvel had everything it is very likely that X-men, Spiderman and FF all play normally separate but kinda together game that you see the DCEU doing. I doubt they try for as a cohesive universeas now with all their toys. Maybe we get cameos in some movies but I don't think we get the master plan of everything is interconnected. Without the start we got which had

1.Nick Fury shows up in Iron Man
    2.Stark show up in Hulk
    3.Black Widow and Shield in Iron Man 2
    4.Shield and Hawkeye in Thor
    5.Being a Shield prequel and his modern-day Cameo meeting Nick Fury

Which crescendo to the Avengers movie that large fan base of non-comic book fans who like the successful movies before. I think we might get successful FF, Spiderman and X-men movies but you don't have a real shared universe concept with everything around.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-06-2019 at 04:54 AM.

Ultimate Member

I think we only got what great stuff we got *because* Marvel didn't have movie rights to Spider-Man, the X-Men and the Fantastic Four. If they'd had them, I don't think we'd have seen the Guardians of the Galaxy, or Ant-Man, the Black Panther or Dr. Strange (or the Inhumans, not that anyone would have minded that).

By dint of not having access to Spider-Man, the X-Men or the FF, Marvel had to dig a bit deeper into their catalog, and I feel like we really kind of benefited from their misfortune. (Certainly Robert Downey, Jr., Scarlett Johanssen and Chris Evans would agree, to say nothing of actors like Chris Pratt and Paul Rudd, whose characters are almost guaranteed not to have seen the big screen, otherwise!)

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Would be too crowded. I hope that there will only be one big superhero team active at a time. Maybe when the Avengers have run their course they can bring in the X-Men. The Guardians of the Galaxy are OK because they're mostly out in space. The Fantastic Four would probably fit in too. But having the skies filled with superheroes wouldn't work in the movies as well as it does in the comics.

It would probably look a lot like the Ultimate Universe at the very beginning.

Spider-Man would probably be the only solo movie. Everything else would be team movies... Avengers, X-Men, and FF.

Boisterously Confused

Honestly, I don't think the Avengers, Thor, Cap, Ant-Man, Dr. Strange, or GotG would ever have seen the light of day. Iron Man, maybe because he's so toyetic, and CM and BP, probably because they so needed to promote inclusiveness. The temptation to use The Big Ones would have been too great (remember, the MCU was built on the properties nobody else wanted). What's more, I don't know if it would have gotten the effort to make the films great that Phase One had to deliver, since they couldn't count on established winners to pull audience.

There would have been a focus on Spiderman and the X-men which means the lesser characters / groups like Guardians of the Galaxy, Ant Man, Dr Strange, and Black Panther never get movies. The Avengers still get pushed but there are probably fewer solo movies with them. Probably no Captain Marvel either as the first female movie would be an X-woman getting a solo movie.

I agree that had the MCU started with everyone, we would've gotten a lot of stuff with the big name characters, like Spidey and X-Men and less of the B-list characters and the ones that the moves made superstars out of. For what it's worth, I'm overall happy with how things turned out.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Astonishing Member

I doubt it would have been as good. We would have gotten Marvel coasting off the name brand of Spiderman and the X-Men, rather than working their asses off to make us care about at-the-time C and Z listers like Iron Man, Thor, Strange, and the Guardians of the Galaxy.

Trust me guys, I love the way the MCU was forced to be creative and promoted so many to the A-list. I was just asking for curiosity's sake, as I'd like to believe Feige would do a good job even then, just not as big on the lesser-knowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
    Trust me guys, I love the way the MCU was forced to be creative and promoted so many to the A-list. I was just asking for curiosity's sake, as I'd like to believe Feige would do a good job even then, just not as big on the lesser-knowns.
    It's possible if this was always Fegie dream to make a MCU then yea. The avengers characters were all he had so he had to weave them all into one big world. With Xmen/F4/Spdiey that wouldnt have been a necessity. But who knows maybe we woulda got a proper MCU with all the big players interacting before certain actors decided to hang it up.

They would be in the same position as they are now even with a bigger box office haul since they would have started with their already established IPS. Spiderman, X-Men and F4 but their artistic decline and deterioration would still be the same as it is now.

I am glad things turned out as it is because if marvel had the film rights to everyone we would have missed out on Spiderverse, Deadpool, Days of future past and Logan as there was no chance those movies would have been made once disney bought marvel.

No chance also that X1, X2, Spiderman 1, Spiderman 2 and Blade may hAve been made if marvel just went ahead with the MCU concept.
    Last edited by Beaddle; 09-07-2019 at 12:13 AM.

As they say, necessity is the mother of invention. The MCU exists because they only had access to the Avengers, which they had to manufacture interest in. If they had everything, I imagine that we'd get a lot of movies similar to what DC did through the 90s and what Fox and Sony did with X-Men and Spider-Man. We may have gotten a crossover, but I imagine it would have been like an Aliens vs. Predator.

I also don't think Feige gets the power he does without the MCU happening as it does.

BANNED

They don't do Iron Man. Robert Downey Jr does not have a role in the MCU. They make a couple of attempts with Fantastic Four and Captain America, but without Downey the audience never feels the same excitement, and the films do middling to poor at the box office. Disney never buys Marvel and the films drop into obscurity after three or four attempts.