Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Default So.... What is the purpose to bring Jor-El back?

spoilers:
    Currently Superman issue, Jor-El has been arrested and Punished him by exiled him to past when krypton was exloding, He is dead.....Again
    end of spoilers
    And that makes me wondering why them bring Jor-El back? I mean through what I've saw so far, I can't see he has any attractive trait as a Superman villain or as his family, And now What Bendis did in the Superman issue making me wondering what is the purpose of Jor-El resurrection
    Last edited by qwertyuiop1998; 09-18-2019 at 08:27 AM.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

spoilers:
    to make him indirectly responsible for the destruction of Krypton undermines not only Kryptons destruction but kinda poisons Superman’s role in the whole universe. He’s the son of the person who indirectly destroyed his planet. It’s a really really bad retcon. Instead of being the person who couldn’t save Krypton from itself, Jor El is the person who damned it.
    end of spoilers

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

While lot of story coming out of it. I mean, Bendis didn't create the situation where Jor-El comes back, but he was more than happy to use it. He used Jor-El to facilitate quite a lot of story that we have, and story that we'll get, but he ultimately didn't want him as an active part of the present forever.

I'm slightly bummed because I was starting to really like this version of Jor-El, but I get it.

Gosh....now I hope Sam's death is a fake out on his part. I need at least one jerk of a grandparent, got damn it!
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    While lot of story coming out of it. I mean, Bendis didn't create the situation where Jor-El comes back, but he was more than happy to use it. He used Jor-El to facilitate quite a lot of story that we have, and story that we'll get, but he ultimately didn't want him as an active part of the present forever.

I'm slightly bummed because I was starting to really like this version of Jor-El, but I get it.

Gosh....now I hope Sam's death is a fake out on his part. I need at least one jerk of a grandparent, got damn it!
    Sam wasn't a jerk in this timeline though. He seemed pretty chill. I like this sam. Spy thing is better than general thing.infact, i felt lois was the one being distant.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Sam wasn't a jerk in this timeline though. He seemed pretty chill. I like this sam. Spy thing is better than general thing.infact, i felt lois was the one being distant.
    Nah. He's still a jerk.

As stated in Bendis' run, apparently the lion's share of Sam's xenophobia, lies to Lois, and general hard to deal with nature still apply here. Lois says as much in the issue they meet before he's hospitalized. It's just not turned up to 11 like it always is, but he's still very much a thickheaded xenophobic jerk who made life emotionally taxing for Lois.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    spoilers:
    to make him indirectly responsible for the destruction of Krypton undermines not only Kryptons destruction but kinda poisons Superman’s role in the whole universe. He’s the son of the person who indirectly destroyed his planet. It’s a really really bad retcon. Instead of being the person who couldn’t save Krypton from itself, Jor El is the person who damned it.
    end of spoilers
    Agreed, A bad retcon, DC might want create a "family issue" story, But it really just don't fit for Jor-El to be the villiain role. I mean most(If not every)version of Jor-El all been portrayed as a good guy, Even in Byrne's emotionless krypton version
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Nah. He's still a jerk.

As stated in Bendis' run, apparently the lion's share of Sam's xenophobia, lies to Lois, and general hard to deal with nature still apply here. Lois says as much in the issue they meet before he's hospitalized. It's just not turned up to 11 like it always is, but he's still very much a thickheaded xenophobic jerk who made life emotionally taxing for Lois.
    But, military and us government did abandon him and basically send him to death. Even, when he came back he went right to work for the sake same country. I mean, that takes some integrity. He has reasons to be cautious of superman. And being a spy ofcourse he is going to have to lie "Everybody lies" . Lois is as thickheaded as sam is. Maybe even more so. If someone in your family is on the otherside of the spectrum, very much set in his views. It's best to not bring it to the dinner table. Lois and sam both do that. That's why it never works out for them.

No one is saying that Sam's point of view is alien, but having a POV that's reasonable on paper and being a d!ck are not mutually exclusive.

That's why I'm interested in him now. The xenophobia, pigheadedness, and the number he did on Lois emotionally and mentally don't stop him from being character I can follow, and that in in turn doesn't stop him from largely being a d!ck. I'm ok with that.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post

Is this the current state of Superman?

How embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosa Luxemburg View Post
    Previous creative team about 2 years ago. Not really an accurate summation of where this relationship is at now, or the context Sam is put into these days.

How embarrassing.
    Why is this embarrassing?

To answer the question, the purpose of bringing back Jor-El just to kill him later is a simple one - it's a gimmick. A cliched gimmick.

Spectacular Member

Dude this is horrible. You bring Jor El back, turn him into a villain, then send him back to Krypton when it explodes. Lame lame lame. I haven't felt this flat about a story since I saw Rian Johnson Last Jedi. Please tell me Bendis is gonna leave Superman soon, I'm begging ya. Superman needs a serious reboot.

BANNED

Previous creative team about 2 years ago. Not really an accurate summation of where this relationship is at now, or the context Sam is put into these days.
    Could you do me a favor and tell me what comics those pages are from?

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

Could you do me a favor and tell me what comics those pages are from?
    Action Comics #999